Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree4642Likes

Thread: Game bird diary for all

One dog tired dog tonight. He retrieved 15 birds including four canadas. All swimming and hunting through thick carex and willows. Good boy Thor Name:  20230506_191329.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  4.57 MB
    Last edited by Woody; 06-05-2023 at 08:17 PM.
    madjon_, Dundee, Barefoot and 11 others like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Bo was sky gazing and retreived every bird that we dropped.
    Name:  DSC06547.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  164.2 KB
    Name:  DSC06549.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  164.5 KB
    Name:  DSC06551.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  161.6 KB
    A few mallards a parry and thinned the pukeko population out.
    Name:  DSC06539.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  163.0 KB
    Name:  DSC06546.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  163.3 KB
    Name:  DSC06543.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  163.8 KB
    tetawa, Woody, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Mate got two possums on the way home with one shot of no#4 steel shot,sorry no pics as it was dark and didn't let Bo down the gully to retreive.
    kotuku likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    All sorted. Everything packed. Roll on opening
    How did you get on @MB, any joy?.

well me old china thats two breeding careers permanently buggered .bloody good show.Im waitin fro the chance rto meet a big snarling randy buck jacko with a dose of 3"no2s- iof it goes as planned permanent contaception.!

Shooting on lake ellesemre we got six plump young mallards.
    I dipped out altho did take a major dip in the bloody hallswell river trying to get on the boat!BASTARD! trying to save my phone etc today.
    Leavin mates in our mamai I set up under a major flightpath.
    Fridays recce=place was crawling weith ducks geese swans -best ive seen in a long time
    Friday night nor easter turned to a howling norwest and this continued till mid morning saturday when all went still water like glass -we were buggered .well yours sincerely was absolutely livid as ducks came in from the exact opposite direction!!!!!
    Just as we were pulling out following the PM session our possie erupted as a humungous mob of canadas went sky wards-now that Ive not heard for a few years .however i intend to make myself known to them very shortly.
    the amazing thing was the boys got these birds in the first hour !and such was the speed missed two Im told
    . from condition etc I can only guess its been a bumper breeding season and theres an abundance of tucker about!
    me i fired 4shots missing a couple of parries -too short on the lead and another couple of mallards which in hindsight was marginal at best!still we live and learn. today unpack wet gear ,,put 4plump mallards on ice till I can sort em tommorow./

Drizzley overcast this morning with little wind. Vrry few ducks around and not a lot of shots around the place. Anyway, stuck it out 5.45am till 10 and managed a vdfy mixed bag. One canada, two mallard, one parry and one swan. Thor dog really struggled getting the swan back through thick carex. We lost a second canada somewhere in heavy flooded willow and blackberry. Thought it was hard hit but it avoided Thor somehow. Missed a couple of easy parries don't know how
    Anyway, another memorable hunt. Thor got a hose down at Mrs insistance when we got home after she went to rib him down with a towel and it turned cowshit green ; sneaky roll that I did'nt see ha ha.
    Name:  20230507_100052.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  4.93 MB
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good on ya Woody.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Shooting on lake ellesemre we got six plump young mallards.
    I dipped out altho did take a major dip in the bloody hallswell river trying to get on the boat!BASTARD! trying to save my phone etc today.
    Leavin mates in our mamai I set up under a major flightpath.
    Fridays recce=place was crawling weith ducks geese swans -best ive seen in a long time
    Friday night nor easter turned to a howling norwest and this continued till mid morning saturday when all went still water like glass -we were buggered .well yours sincerely was absolutely livid as ducks came in from the exact opposite direction!!!!!
    Just as we were pulling out following the PM session our possie erupted as a humungous mob of canadas went sky wards-now that Ive not heard for a few years .however i intend to make myself known to them very shortly.
    the amazing thing was the boys got these birds in the first hour !and such was the speed missed two Im told
    . from condition etc I can only guess its been a bumper breeding season and theres an abundance of tucker about!
    me i fired 4shots missing a couple of parries -too short on the lead and another couple of mallards which in hindsight was marginal at best!still we live and learn. today unpack wet gear ,,put 4plump mallards on ice till I can sort em tommorow./
    your making a habit of this "taking a dip thing" perhaps its time to buy waterproof phone cover...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

7 feral geese
    4 parries
    1 mallard drake
    1 pigeon
    5 others.
    good weekend in new spot
    highlight for me was an epic paddle in kayak..maybe 3-4kms out across lagoon and rounded up the geese/swans/ducks and set them to flight,the geese played ball and flew over lines of maimais ABSOLUTE CARNAGE ensured..3 dropped here 4 over there more over somewhere else and sounded like world war 3 had started..I was happy as a dog with two dicks my efforts worked and others got to share in the spoils...picked up 2 canadas and feral and delivered to one maimai..guys were stoked.... pushed a feral up towards another maimai for fellas to shoot/finish it off... took that one and another unclaimed floater/lunger home for my effort.
    to say Im a little fatigued now is understatement.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    My brother in law, his mate and their sons have had a bumper opening weekend.
    Name:  IMG_0309.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  158.6 KB
    197 for the weekend so far.

Oh and I should add that in 35 years of being related and only living 12 k’s apart, the bugger has never invited me. Ha ha ha ha but he is otherwise a good prick.
    Woody likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Shooting my 62nd year on the Kaipara....
    The spot I chose this year didnt fire up so I moved about 1k to an old traditional spot. Had my limit ( 8) in 30 mins....my mate also shot his limit at his stand 2 k away.
    Went back to the same spot when the tide came in this morning along with my mate......Both scored our limits again. Off the water at 1.45pm.
    Watched about 300 Canada's flying around.....Mental note to myself, go chase them down in the off season.

Despite all the crap in this world at the moment Duck hunting pushes that to one side and gives inner peace to those that partake in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    your making a habit of this "taking a dip thing" perhaps its time to buy waterproof phone cover...
    no ,in all honesty Im going to have to give this serious thought -my medical list is on the increase and its blatantly obvious i cant expect mates to carry me forever and a day,nor do i want them to.should a hard decision have to be taken then so be it.yes Iwouldnt give away one memory of the kindness ,the humour ,the wisdom of kind mates and teachers,but i wont ever be a burden!
    well done on your tally -seems to reinforce my thoughts -good breeding season good tucker and lots of youngsters on the wing.the only noticeable thing for me was not as many parries as usual in our spot . I slept in my truck friday night -bloody mob of canadas in the close paddock filling fat wee guts all night till0500 when as i got up they buggered off!!
    lastly my son works at a kiosk in westfiled mall -than ks to all the duckshootoers who came seeking fresh batteries for their calls etc on thursday -kept him out of mischief!!!!!
    Woody and Micky Duck like this.

Name:  IMG_3242.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  2.48 MB
    It was a bit slower than normal however all 5 guns shot our limits (plus a couple of extra's in case the eels got some).
    Stoked with how the dog went, she didn't get to do much last year due to having pups in the first week of May.
    Even managed to pull one out of a tree hanging 3 feet above the water.
    All birds recovered that I sent her for plus some I didn't see.
    Went for a walk down some drains this afternoon and collected a couple of drakes. (A lot easier to be selective when hunting by yourself)
    I've noticed all of the drakes are a bit drab like these two from this afternoon. Is that an age thing or hybrid/grey?
    Woody and Micky Duck like this.

Not many ducks around, but the dogs had a big morning recovering these big buggers @buzzman you might recognize the dog on the right?.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk
    kotuku, Woody, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.