Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Opening 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Sure is fine for old guns. I'm using my 1956 Stevens 311a. Of note it is smashing the ducks up a bit..maybe due to the choking of the gun. Shooting reloads atm. Haven't opened the Falcon box yet.
    If you head shoot the ducks that solves the smashing up problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Gone but not forgotten
    Thanks for the replies

My shotgun (actually my father's) is a 50ish year old Zoli. It says nitro proved on the barrel, which apparently means it's okay for steel shot but not the high performance stuff.
    It does have a stamp of what looks like a fleur de lis, but different from that Sideshow posted, it is inside a upside-down heart shape.
    I'm pretty sure the bottom barrel is full choke, so I think I'll go with bismuth, but at $100/box I would probably be better off to buy a new shotgun!

Nah its not 100 a box. The Falcon stuff I paid 55 a box for

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Nah its not 100 a box. The Falcon stuff I paid 55 a box for
    The only stuff I could find via Google was Gamebore thru Kilwell at $99.99 a box of 25, due in late May, but I'll definitely be shopping around.

Fish city Hamilton had some for $60 a box when a friend went there not long ago..

14 Mallards tonight here in the Stormy ,Windy , Wet Manawatu !!
    Patience Is A Virtue

use lighter loads of smaller shot and DONT use rem hypersonic .....
    gamebore/kent/winchester/falcon all do a 30-32grm loading and they all kill well...#3 is biggest you should use in tight chokes

doing these two things allow the shot to zip through without bridgeing....think bottleneck traffic jam...less traffic= easier to flow.
    Sideshow and Jusepy like this.

10 mallards and 1 parry tonight between two of us shooting maize stubble Tepuke.
    gsp follower, Sideshow and Jusepy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Thanks for the replies

My shotgun (actually my father's) is a 50ish year old Zoli. It says nitro proved on the barrel, which apparently means it's okay for steel shot but not the high performance stuff.
    It does have a stamp of what looks like a fleur de lis, but different from that Sideshow posted, it is inside a upside-down heart shape.
    I'm pretty sure the bottom barrel is full choke, so I think I'll go with bismuth, but at $100/box I would probably be better off to buy a new shotgun!
    check with a choke gauge and since its not a holland and holland spend 40 buks and get the choke opened up
    sore head stoat likes this.

MB
    My first season on F&G administered land. Seems it all happens in the first few hours of opening season then not too much going on. Is that about right?
    gsp follower likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    My first season on F&G administered land. Seems it all happens in the first few hours of opening season then not too much going on. Is that about right?
    Yes, which is why you cannot buy "day licences" until after the first week or month (I can remember which) of the season.
    Most duckshooters seem to be "opening morning or opening weekend" only shooters.

It’s all area dependent, opening weekend just means start of the season, birds are generally less weary to hunters having not been shot at in ages, more chance of other hunters in your area keeping birds moving during the day but nothing is guaranteed.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Yes, which is why you cannot buy "day licences" until after the first week or month (I can remember which) of the season.
    Most duckshooters seem to be "opening morning or opening weekend" only shooters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Love_ducks View Post
    It’s all area dependent, opening weekend just means start of the season, birds are generally less weary to hunters having not been shot at in ages, more chance of other hunters in your area keeping birds moving during the day but nothing is guaranteed.

Sure, hunting is hunting. Anything can happen and it did this evening. Quick detour to the maimai on the way to work and got these two at last light. Stoked!

mikee likes this.

Last night in nz. Got 9 so my brother has to finish the bag job all plucked and singed. So will get on the plane smelling like plucked duck…..shore the other punters won’t mind……it’s only a 48hour round trip
    gsp follower likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Sure, hunting is hunting. Anything can happen and it did this evening. Quick detour to the maimai on the way to work and got these two at last light. Stoked!

What did you shoot them with?
    bunji likes this.