Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Opening 2022

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    What did you shoot them with?
    Eley VIP Hyperspeed 31g #4

MB
    So awesome that we can turn our harvest in to this in under 15 minutes!

I have been slack with reporting on my waterfowl season here. Life is pretty busy and knocking photos up on other social media platforms is just faster and easier a lot of the time unfortunately.

Our opening this year was adhoc last minute in an old spot that I used to shoot as our new maimai on the lake was out of bounds due to a botulism outbreak. The new plan worked out a treat and we had a cracker weekend with plenty of mallards decoying up close and ending up in the freezer.

I have had my 1 year old pup out for two of his first exposures at an easy spot I have pegged and he is going well. A lot more to do yet on his training and building experience. Luckily this rough weather we have had in the past couple of weeks has provided some wicked shoots. Some of the best mid season hunts I have had.

Anyways, I apologies for my laziness. Here his the link to where you can see all photos and posts in relation to the above. Hot barrels everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/Wild-NZ-107116317472729

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Fish city Hamilton had some for $60 a box when a friend went there not long ago..
    Called into Fish City Hamilton this afternoon, they had the Falcon bismuth #4 for $59.99 so bought a box. Thanks for the tip
    Quackers likes this.

Went for a hunt this morning, not a duck to be seen. 2 swans and a few geese well out of range. Pulled the pin and went to lake Rerewhakaaitu for a jump shoot but the lake is so low theres 30m beach so they see you well before your in range, that and the spur winged plovers squawking over head to warn all. Went into someone's maimai which is a new build on the waters edge with the old maimai behind at the edge of the beach/ scrub. Loads of geese and swans well out of range. Then gracefully a swan appeared 10m away and I was just about to jump up and do the Haka to get it to fly when in tow was 4 cygnets. Kinda cute white and not very old. Not a shot fired but a enjoyable few hours. Tomorrow another day another lake which looks to have some ducks on my drive past
    mikee likes this.

Looking forward getting out tomorrow morning after having covid for last week. Yay.

Have you lads come across lice on the ducks feathers when plucking them.
    Had the horrible discovery of one in my hair after plucking and breasting 12 ducks on sunday.
    dannyb likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    Have you lads come across lice on the ducks feathers when plucking them.
    Had the horrible discovery of one in my hair after plucking and breasting 12 ducks on sunday.
    happens quite regularly rotten little fuckers, you'll be pleased to know a hot soapy shower is enough to get rid of them. They are quiet common on game birds. It's uncanny how quickly they can find there way to your head from your hands too.....I'm bloody itchy just thinking about it
    7mmwsm and Jusepy like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    happens quite regularly rotten little fuckers, you'll be pleased to know a hot soapy shower is enough to get rid of them. They are quiet common on game birds. It's uncanny how quickly they can find there way to your head from your hands too.....I'm bloody itchy just thinking about it
    Yeah, turkeys are shockers for lice, but as you say, a hot shower with soap and shampoo gets rid of them
    dannyb and Jusepy like this.

Live are very host specific. Fortunately, bird lice don't do too well on humans and are merely am annoying and somewhat disconcerting byproduct of hunting. Bird mites can bite and leave itchy marks on humans, but can't complete their life cycle on humans.

MB
    Blow torch is good for getting rid of small, downy feathers and I bet it would work wonders on lice too. Reminds me of the time, I shot a couple of turkeys "out of season". Ignorance on my part. When it came to plucking, I was gagging from the smell plus they were covered in lice. Guts smelt even worse. My culinary aspirations went from a whole roasted bird to harvesting breasts and legs to just skin off breasts and even they smelt awful. In the end, even the cat wouldn't eat the breasts!
    Last edited by MB; 31-05-2022 at 12:56 AM.

Managed a pair this morning in waikato swamp.. Little around but sunny as. Beats getting wet.