Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: running dogs in potential breeding grounds during the breeding season for gamebirds

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    thats not good but it is a reflection of how many mutts go there --tons day in and day out .
    probably not, probably means that the majority of the dogs going there are not vaccinated in the first place...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    to me to go anywhere near where there is even 1% opportunity of nesting birds being found is not only unfair but unthinking (go hunt fur or vermin pigeons!!!)

So you lock your dogs in their kennels from now til May?

Can't hunt fur in any area I can think of. Anywhere there's enough cover for rabbits/hares might hold nesting birds.

Be reasonable.

On a separate note, bumping a hen off her nest will not cause her to abandon it.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Thats ridiculous , how would you know ? Birds go everywhere -fly , walk , take the bus but they are every where .Sounds like you don't want to train your dog or even take him for a walk anywhere interesting .I read you guys and think you are all just bound up in fanaticism and to be truthful if Jo wants to train his dog at XYZ and he encounters birds who gives a flying toss --there are so few Dog people that get out and train often it wouldn't make a dent in the population at all -"especially" where I train !, in fact you cant shoot in that area at all up to about 15km away up the beach
    El Borracho, some of us want to see an enduring and sustainable population of birds in our areas...knowing how fickle the pheasant is when she is on the nest, I applaud anyone who exercises a degree of maturity and understanding of the bird we are dealing with. Well, if you have bird numbers in your area as you are implying, I envy you, it is simply that some of us dont...as I say, it is now we hunt fur...

Quote Originally Posted by RCGSP View Post

So you lock your dogs in their kennels from now til May?

Can't hunt fur in any area I can think of. Anywhere there's enough cover for rabbits/hares might hold nesting birds.

Be reasonable.

On a separate note, bumping a hen off her nest will not cause her to abandon it.

Yes, my dogs are locked up for ten months with three Tux aday!!! I have access to farmland to shoot fur WHERE THERE ARE NO BIRDS...and if there where birds there, then I would go elsewhere...

El Borracho, some of us want to see an enduring and sustainable population of birds in our areas...knowing how fickle the pheasant is when she is on the nest, I applaud anyone who exercises a degree of maturity and understanding of the bird we are dealing with. Well, if you have bird numbers in your area as you are implying, I envy you, it is simply that some of us dont...as I say, it is now we hunt fur...
    Fair enough EeeBees, the area we are talking about is saturated by two things -birds and humans with dogs all year . As I said at the start of the thread you have to use your common sense more than anything else but to blanket going out to the country side with your dog to train cause birds are laying is just crazy --youll know if you in an area with Polts -youll find them often enough and then youll move away .Birds go back to the nest unlike what Upnorth says .HE REALLY STARTED THIS THREAD TO HAVE A SHOT AT ME !! NOTHING ELSE
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

If pheasants are nesting in the area of muriwai that I'm talking about, they are retarded and need to be prevented from breeding anyway to keep their stupidity from getting into the general wild bird population.

Yes, my dogs are locked up for ten months with three Tux aday!!! I have access to farmland to shoot fur WHERE THERE ARE NO BIRDS...and if there where birds there, then I would go elsewhere...
    Around Auckland, if there's rabbits there will be birds, so your system simply wouldn't work up here.
    I wouldn't even be able to visit to any of the local parks/reserves.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Cmon Eeebees I know your dogs aren't locked up for 10mths They running round your living room

We got no pheasants here and my dogs come with me every day,Jess found a duck nest close too the fence by the pond and we left.The duck nests I have come across can be anywhere from ponds too hedges ,roadside grass verges anywhere on a farm.

I definetly don't go looking for them but hey the dogs may as well be padlocked too the kennels in the breeding season YEAH RITE!

There is one nest I have come across and a duck is sitting on 20 eggs and flys of daily but I can not stay away from this nest as the stock are moved daily nearby. Shes always there the next day,some birds sit tight and don't fly off.

I wouldn't train dogs around a pond this time of a year.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Mathematics need addressing...it would eight months!!!!!!

Its clear people dont just put there dogs away because birds happen to be breeding they use their common sense and keep there dogs training and avoid to much disturbance on nesting birds

Of course people dont lock their dogs away...there's more to game than just birds...

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Cmon Eeebees I know your dogs aren't locked up for 10mths They running round your living room

Of course people dont lock their dogs away...there's more to game than just birds...
    not if you're a classic pointer setter person

you would get the blunt end of the stick if you were to partake in out of season pratice on a grouse moor if we are to quote the classic card....... i think you will find field trials were designed to fill the gap between seasons.

my dogs dont see any game from the closing of the season to the opening of the next season and there is no difference between the way they handle birds after 8 mnths of being locked up for 80% of that time.