Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: running dogs in potential breeding grounds during the breeding season for gamebirds

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    my dogs dont see any game from the closing of the season to the opening of the next season and there is no difference between the way they handle birds after 8 mnths of being locked up for 80% of that time.
    "a mans dogs are always perfect if never seen in public displays" quote from Yesterday Today& Tomorrow by Leon Mortensn
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    you would get the blunt end of the stick if you were to partake in out of season pratice on a grouse moor if we are to quote the classic card....... i think you will find field trials were designed to fill the gap between seasons.
    I would well imagine so -but we dont have moors do we and they must practice in other areas other than moors in the off season as "I do" places you are not allowed to shoot in

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    "a mans dogs are always perfect if never seen in public displays" quote from Yesterday Today& Tomorrow by Leon Mortensn

Oh please, all due respect that that is pretty damn pompous...
    Last edited by EeeBees; 16-09-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

not if you're a classic pointer setter person
    I dont know what a classic pointer setter person is...and how would you suggest one might identify such a person??!!
    Last edited by EeeBees; 16-09-2012 at 05:01 PM.

pointer or setter owner and only hunts them on feathered game = classic pointer setter person

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Oh please, all due respect that that is pretty damn pompous...
    its so true tho and it applies to many things --long range shooting for example,,they always shoot sub moa at great distances but nobody was there and they wont front to demonstrate .Also what is fantastic to one may merely be average to another

I think someone would have to read the book to understand the context in which this was written...

a hunter not fronting up to repeat a flukey wondrous shot is not being a wallyl...the situation in which we sometimes manage to execute extraordinary shots cannot be easily, if ever, replicated...like two birds with one shot, nothing overly memorable about that (unless the birds are woodcock) but how often does that happen...and when you start in on percentages and average this and average that, what does that mean for me, I ask myself...if my dog retrieves a duck, a pheasant, a quail, a hare and as I have a more than average expectation of him to do so and if that expectation is what I base my dogs work on, then what is wrong with that...he is filling the freezer with wondrous delights...I am not going to slap his ears for executing a retrieve that brings in the bird...whether no one sees it or not and as I hunt alone 96.4% of the time, we rarely have witnesses anyway...so if I was to brag about my bitch's extraordinary work on a totally memorable find of a bird, then you just have to take my word for it because it is true...but it would be even more extraordinary for us to ever repeat that find...
    Last edited by EeeBees; 16-09-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: just cos...

That torpedo want meant for you EesBees as a knock -tongue in check really for Upnorth Uplander and the rifle thing wasn't meant for hunters but long range shooters but I suppose it can flow over anyone who says my blah blah can or does this but never let it be seen to show the fact its correct and does actually happen .Talk is cheap

In this case Upnorth says his dogs work just the same with no training on birds for 8 months -sure but to whose standard ? "come and trial"

hey victoria, Jim had my dog for most of this season, did you and him go for a hunt this year

No, not this year unfortunately...

haaaaaaaa Bushie who ever you are thats funny shit in saying that mine currently looks after mine in the week too

Quote Originally Posted by Bushie View Post
    Easy to do when your mummy is looking after them up north. It's not like you are running them full stop. Talk about full of shit

what parts full of shit bushie, yep my pointer lives up north but none of my other dogs do and they dont get run in breeding areas, so im not sure what the point your making is

your as bad as me Z -your Pointer lives with your very good mum up north and your other one lives with Pointer in Gisborne, you only have a cocker don't you ? you dont run them cause use is too lazzzzyyyyyyy bro lol

your as bad as me Z -your Pointer lives with your very good mum up north and your other one lives with Pointer in Gisborne, you only have a cocker don't you ? you dont run them cause use is too lazzzzyyyyyyy bro lol
    my pointer that you have seen lives up north during the off season and my 2 cockers live here with me, i sold the other pointer to the guy in Gizzy, my dogs get run every day on a paddock above the marina and at the park down the road, part of my job at the marina is walking the entire place at night so my dogs get walked then too

my mummy( as bushie has put it) likes the security of having a dog live with her, Patch will bark at anyone who comes near the place and as my mum lives alone it gives her time to grab the shotty...lol
    Last edited by upnorth uplander; 20-09-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Great job Z , lucky find close to home and no pressure -except if some A holes turn up !!!