Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Somethings to just have a look through..

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone needed to read the article or Mallard Research page in order to understand that predation of nests and newly hatched ducklings had a huge impact on the productivity of our Gamebirds. If you did, then you must be living under a rock or have your head in the sand about the extent of the problems with our Gamebird populations! All its doing it quantifying what you should have already known FFS!

So since all those who have posted on this thread have read about the effects to date (even on that very small sample size!), how many of you are getting off your arses this weekend and setting traplines to reduce the predator population? Its eaasy to piss and moan and demand a reduction in licence fees, but few put their money where their mouth is and go do something about it.
    I actually started the thread as a demonstration that our fees in Waikato were being put to some use. Not as a bitch session. Its pointless moaning about fees anyway as they are set in Head Office without input from the areas.
    Bit like moaning about motorcycle rego costs really similar story ...
    I was actually impressed by the research efforts being done. As to living with your head in the sand no. Theres heaps of reasons for species decline , hundreds its been discussed.
    Everyone has to do as much as they can in preserving and creating safer places for the quackers and their quacklings ... I think you may have thought I posted to start a row ??? Wrong !!!
    Our crew plants, traps, weed sprays , kill the shit out of pests and fences the four ponds we have. We have heaps of ducks there and don't shoot all of them either.

Cheers Happy
    Dundee, Lentil and Scouser like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

I think we have to be a bit more philisophical than that Scouser. Our licences allow us to shoot anywhere in NZ, its simply we choose to live (and presumably hunt) in the A/W area. Thats our choice, not F&G's.

For those who feel they are not in a position to help, because the issue may seem to big, then there are all opportunities to assit other community groups.

Feel free to contact Waikato RiverCare Welcome To Waikato RiverCare - Waikato River Care and talk to Kevin Hutchinson (Operations Manager) about how you can assist. Kevin is ex DoC (he's also a keen duckshooter) in the Whangamarino and his role is to implement the objectives of the group (2ha of river bank planting per year). Interestingly, Kevin's boss is David Klee (A/W F&G), so you can read between the lines that there are opportunities there to enhance the lot of our gamebird populations with projects such as RiverCares.

The idea of banning motorised decoys was put forward last year by the geriatrics at EPCM who want to be seen to be doing something, but are so stuck in the dark-ages they need a torch to find their way. Unfortunately, it was latched onto by David Cocks and Eaun Williamson as a means of garnering support for last year's elections. As Ben has stated, there is no correlation between mechanical decoys and declining populations and was knocked on the head when the regualtions were set for this past season.

Best thing you can do is to get in the ear of those Councillors who want decisions made based on evidence, and not emotion.
    Last edited by gqhoon; 13-09-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks guys, as you both well know, sometimes whats 'typed & printed' on the posts can be misconstrued to the reader.....looks like we are all 'preaching to the converted' here....i shoot for sport, i need to lose fukin weight as it is.....

Im new to game bird hunting, and the crew i go duck hunting with all yarn about the 'good old days' and have photos in the hut with 15-20 ducks draped around their necks looking like 'dame Nellie Melba' on the fukin stage!!!!!

those days have gone, (by Port Waikato anyway) its just very frustrating to be a 'law abiding game permit holder' and be squeezed year in year out, (half hunting time, dowel in shottie, flappy duck ban?) it will get to the point

of, why bother....they were even checking boaties at the wharf for alcohol consumption FFS, before they went out!!!!!....this is a social occasion for us, we dont need/want to hunt/kill ducks because we will starve without them!!!

Thanks gqhoon for mentioning names & places where i can get off my (fat) arse and do something about it......dont hold your breath though!......'warm barrels' guys
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

You’re right Scouser, seems to be a bit of miscommunication.

I used to have a fairly jaundiced view of F&G (and still do to some degree) until I chose to become more involved and understand how the organisation functions and what its drivers are. I very quickly learnt that in the most part, the staff are quality individuals, passionate about their jobs. While these guys are a considerable asset, unfortunately there were / are some who see it as a job for life and contribute fuck all to the organisation and effectively hamstring the useful ones. Add to that there are similar issues with Councillors (who employ the Managers / CEO’s, who in turn employ the staff), then you can only imagine the degree of dysfunction that exists within the organisation. The role of national Council isn’t even worth mentioning to be perfectly honest.

Add in a healthy dose of hunter apathy (one Region hasn’t had an election in a decade or so as no one wants to stand) and you can see there are some major ‘legacy issues’ that the organisation needs to overcome before it will find favour with its constituents again.

In the meantime, our gamebird populations are in a decline never before been documented and our licence sales have decreased 44% since 1985 (or thereabouts). It’s actually a lot worse than that in the North Island, but the decrease has been less in the South Island, so it props up the national average.

The conclusion I’ve come to, is that I can’t be bothered waiting for ‘someone’ to fix the problem, so choose to do what I can to assist. Advocating for and carrying out predator control, rearing and releasing of gamebirds, nesting and rearing planting etc are all things that are within my means (and that of those I shoot with). We combine resources, time, money and effort and do what we can to improve our lot, and hopefuly help educate others along the way to do something similar.

The thing to remember, is that we all have the means to assist, regardless of resources, wealth or time.
    Snuffit and Happy like this.

You fullas need a Dundee coy ...... Best of luck with the beaurocrats. All game bird hunters I know are doing there bit. I nearly smoked the neighbours cat tonight but after ID the mongrel sent a text and got back "Cease Fire!" lucky I checked.

If ya motor ducks are banned,think natural movement fullas
    Toby likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    You fullas need a Dundee coy ...... Best of luck with the beaurocrats. All game bird hunters I know are doing there bit. I nearly smoked the neighbours cat tonight but after ID the mongrel sent a text and got back "Cease Fire!" lucky I checked.

If ya motor ducks are banned,think natural movement fullas
    Do they travel ok on the courier ?

I'm sure the Happy waters up there are stocked with plentiful big decoy towing eels
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    I'm sure the Happy waters up there are stocked with plentiful big decoy towing eels
    Ha ha we are lucky to be able to dump the water out of our main pond so it emptys Put the plug back in close to season start and fills up crystal clear so no eels except for tiny boot laces occaisionally. The Quakers love the new water as well

Its a doubled sided sword really cause the big eels eat the ducklings and the bigger ones eat the ducks. Can't mess with nature but seems we can't get any sense out of the dudes that make the rulz for our love of gamebird hunting.

The ducks have so many predators and the bloody councils have none
    Happy likes this.
    CFD

Just another outdoors addict
    The idea of banning motorised decoys was put forward last year by the geriatrics at EPCM who want to be seen to be doing something, but are so stuck in the dark-ages they need a torch to find their way. Unfortunately, it was latched onto by David Cocks or Eaun Williamson as a means of garnering support for last year's elections. As Ben has stated, there is no correlation between mechanical decoys and declining populations and was knocked on the head when the regualtions were set for this past season.

Best thing you can do is to get in the ear of those Councillors who want decisions made based on evidence, and not emotion.
    That is very cynical. I could counter your comments by simply saying you could have an emotional attachement to the ongoing use/sale of such decoys by aquaintance. I can happily say without knowing either Cocks or Williamson - they have most likely done some investigations with the intent of improving the resource for all. They haven't taken a position to protect their own hunting or anything so selfish I'd suggest.

There is a line of thought that mechanical decoys cause over harvest in the young population resulting in an ageing and less productive breeding population over time. This has been studied. States like California ban the use of flappy ducks until a set time in their season when the migratory ducks arrive in order to protect their resident duck population. Perhaps they have a few misguided emotional councillors also?

There is no correlation between declining duck populations and mechanical decoys in NZ because it hasn't been studied.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Allen View Post
    That is very cynical.
    Cynicism is an emotive opinion that you hve attached to my comments. It is your issue, not mine.

I could counter your comments by simply saying you could have an emotional attachement to the ongoing use/sale of such decoys by aquaintance.
    If that is your firm belief, then you are simply wrong. Again. I have no attachment to the continued use / sale of any item of equipment. Much like your previous incorrect allegtion that I support certain individuals because I might get some hunting. You are simply grasping at straws.

I can happily say without knowing either Cocks or Williamson - they have most likely done some investigations with the intent of improving the resource for all.
    Incorrect. By their own admission, they had no evidence to support their postion. They did / do genuinely feel that we 'had to do something'......that not really my idea of an informed decision making process.

There is a line of thought that mechanical decoys cause over harvest in the young population resulting in an ageing and less productive breeding population over time. This has been studied. States like California ban the use of flappy ducks until a set time in their season when the migratory ducks arrive in order to protect their resident duck population. Perhaps they have a few misguided emotional councillors also?

There is no correlation between declining duck populations and mechanical decoys in NZ because it hasn't been studied.
    Correct. So when NZ studies also show the same correlation, I would happy support such a restriction. Until then, it is simply guess work.

Just another outdoors addict
    Correct. So when NZ studies also show the same correlation, I would happy support such a restriction. Until then, it is simply guess work.
    I wasn't expecting you to feel the need to be defencive. My post casting the assertion you were speaking out of self interest was only to draw attention to your comment suggesting other councillors tried to address a very real concern purely to garner votes.You seem aware there is material supporting restrictions so likely know it was less than vote buying and not contrived from the dark ages?

Back on topic, it's great to see predator control gaining some spotlight. Have you or anyone you know had much to do with those gas cannister traps?

'I actually started the thread as a demonstration that our fees in Waikato were being put to some use.' (Happy)

Sorry i high-jacked your thread Happy, but yes, agree with you entirely, great to see some data coming out of our 'game permits' and hopefully pest eradication is on the way.....
    Happy likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Name:  IMG_7327.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  82.6 KB

Gas vs. spring loaded.... I don't think we have our technique/bait/placement right for our gas traps ... as no discernable sign of any kills. Having said that, the dead things drop straight onto the ground where they can be cleaned up by other critters. We've put these traps side by side as an experiment to see if its a placement issue.