Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Waterfowl ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Actually since the advent of steel shot there really is only one answer to this question : All shotguns will pattern differently to one another. One mans ammo that allowed him good clean kills
    will wing the shit out of ducks when used in another gun. Proved this in over the last few seasons with Mossberg Pump ,Mossberg Semi, Berretta Extrema and Remington Semi plus a couple of others O+U etc
    If you wish to succeed with steel you really need to check several brands , shots sizes etc etc. Get your mates togeather and buy coupla different boxes each and get a roll of newsprint paper.
    We shot at 20 and 40 mtrs. Take your shot retrieve your page write down which ammo next persons turn etc. At the end lay them down forget everybody else and analyse your own to determine your finalists then
    retry.

Plenty articles on the web such as How to Pattern a Shotgun. This worjked awsomely for us and our hit - kill rates doubled and trebled instantly.

Now fuc the gun shops cos my winner is no longer available so about to repeat the process next week or two. Buying the odd box now to trial. At least if no good its still there for other stuff rabbits etc.

And of course since when can you have too much ammo....
    I'm always Happy if its no good Happy If any of you other fellas have problems send me the ammo and I will sort the shit out
    Toby likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    No idea how old you s are but any how having done similar have learnt mainstream is so much easier like it or lump it It's the truth or wouldn't be mainstream cos it's mainstream cos it works Chances are today you ll disagree but numbers are against you It's Just the generation but you ll out grow it No offence intended just the way it is. Sub cals for kids training wicked as !! $3595 for that ?
    Righttttttt !
    Grasshopper, go to the next skeet shoot in your area, take a calculator, walk along the rack and find out values.
    You are in for one hell of a shock. At some/a lot of shoots it looks something like
    10G 30G 5G 3G etc.

5ish nz for a gun of that quality is nothing.

Of course there is a lot less chance of being caught shooting lead if you shoot off season......
    Pointer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Grasshopper, go to the next skeet shoot in your area, take a calculator, walk along the rack and find out values.
    You are in for one hell of a shock. At some/a lot of shoots it looks something like
    10G 30G 5G 3G etc.

Of course there is a lot less chance of being caught shooting lead if you shoot off season......
    I have found you generally get what you pay for. even the most ardent duck hunters gunis never going to see the same volume of ammo.

When I did use a 12 my favorite duck load was a home loaded 1 1/8oz of 4's in black ranger cases. My gun was a Winchester 101 U/O which I still wish I never sold
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Ejected
    I gave my diamond grade one of them to a fucking good mate. Don't even think the prick has used it yet

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    10G 30G 5G 3G etc.

Ummm WH ... Coukld never mistake me for a grasshopper unless it was a big fat one ..Topic was ammo for water fowl not skeet shooting. Im well aware of the equipment values people use for skeet and clays.
    My point was that use of lead in sub guages will be prohibited sometime in the near future country wide. Folks are saying bugger that makes my sub guage looking to possibly become unsuitable..
    Got mates who use them currently with lead and they enjoy it plus have outstanding success.
    So my point was also why spend that sort of money now if you re aim is to shoot ducks only with it ?
    Steel shot ammo will be expensive for a while at least Id say.

Cant shoot ducks outside of season here... We d get potted so quickly up here it d be Hi Ho Hi Ho off to court I go ..ha ha
    Last edited by Happy; 22-04-2013 at 10:37 AM.

This will sound stupid but I highly doubt a $30,000 shotgun is going to make you a better shooter. I bought a $20 side by side for my first gun had no bead had a broken fore grip I just heal on with sellotape until I fixed it. I was deadly with that gun I wish I never got rid of it. Some of the $30,000 has to be just so you can say its better then any gun cheaper.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    This will sound stupid but I highly doubt a $30,000 shotgun is going to make you a better shooter. I bought a $20 side by side for my first gun had no bead had a broken fore grip I just heal on with sellotape until I fixed it. I was deadly with that gun I wish I never got rid of it. Some of the $30,000 has to be just so you can say its better then any gun cheaper.
    Toby, Generally an expensive gun will/should be fitted as part of the cost so you know it will shoot where you are looking without you intentionally having to adjust your style.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.