Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Beginners guide to freediving/snorkeling

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Well I used to sink well but now have to drag my arse under and the damned thing keeps dragging me back up, even in fresh water. Suit is pretty thin, at this stage I'll just me using a steamer first owned by Steve Wells. I clock in at 67kg on a good day 65kg on a bad day. Is it best to go for a basic belt and threaded weights or pockets. My waist is way narrower than my hips and where there should be a chest so will want something that wont dig into me. I'm soft.
    we must be similar in size
    i have to have my belt up round my waist because of the weight it takes me to get under
    i run all most 10kg to get under ,if i have belt on my hips it falls up to my arm pitts when i dive down
    i have been exploring ways of getting the weight on me, weight shapes, harnesses etc
    so far have come up with 3 big weights(bout the size of a big paua) that sit in middle of my back
    but still not happy

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    we must be similar in size
    i have to have my belt up round my waist because of the weight it takes me to get under
    i run all most 10kg to get under ,if i have belt on my hips it falls up to my arm pitts when i dive down
    i have been exploring ways of getting the weight on me, weight shapes, harnesses etc
    so far have come up with 3 big weights(bout the size of a big paua) that sit in middle of my back
    but still not happy
    That is what I figure will have to happen with me I guess. I figure that the belt around the waist can just tighten the suit so it doesn't fill with quite so much water, so it's easier to stand up and not so cold. Hopefully a full wetsuit wont be such an issue as the thin triathlon steamer. What thickness are you using? I take it two piece would be better for a weed of my stature?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Would a 5mm or 7mm long sleeve hooded jacket over my old 3mm bib long johns be suitable. Used to use the long johns in the kayak and they're still like new.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    That is what I figure will have to happen with me I guess. I figure that the belt around the waist can just tighten the suit so it doesn't fill with quite so much water, so it's easier to stand up and not so cold. Hopefully a full wetsuit wont be such an issue as the thin triathlon steamer. What thickness are you using? I take it two piece would be better for a weed of my stature?
    I run a 5mm wettie all year round, when I was try out a
    Harness weight belt I had to have another belt round the suit join
    To stop the water flowing out
    You want an open cell nothing else you need to be able to move

If your looking for a suit give glen at Speartime a ring
    Top man for all the gear

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    If your looking for a suit give glen at Speartime a ring
    Top man for all the gear
    Yes I've been look at that, pretty good value.

Would one of these be useable, maybe with a hood added? Can get one with an 80% discount. According to the manufacturer and everyone else it is a 5/4mm suit.

Adrenalin Ballistic Batwing Steamer 5/3mm

A hood is a must to stay warm any length of time.

From what you have descibed with problems with your previous wet suit fits, I would suggest going and trying on a number of siut and mixing and matching sizes ie (L) bottoms with xl top or such to get a correct fit. Dives shops should provide you this service. This is to try and stop you having that hollow space in the chest area of your suit.

I personally would be looking at an open cell suit for warmth (another concern you have mentioned).

I am bais towards wettie gear, but for price and quailty (to me) they are hard to go past..

Please please try other brands and styles as suits are not a one size suits all.

even to the point of asking to take one of their hire suits to a pool. yes it's will take time but it's you $$ and your warmth and comfort are what matters to make you a more succesful freediver.

Also a loading pad on the chest would be a bonus but these can be added to a suit with a minimal fuss.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Thanks stingray, reminds me of the time I went to buy a suit. Guy measures me up noting the numbers then walks away looking at the numbers, stops, comes back 'coz one of the numbers is wrong. And tells me I'd need a tailored one. Then there other guy in the shop comes for a chat, his customer had the opposite problem. So between us I got by with an M pair of pleated trousers to accommodate the legs and an XL jacket.

Would it be best to go waist high bottoms or full bib overall type?

I think you will find everything is bib overall now days.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Will keep looking. Can always use my old thin steamer in the meantime and pick up a second hand hooded jacket, they seem pretty cheap.

Well, I have a good fitting wetsuit. Now gadgette#2 is very keen to come snorkelling too. Will have to teach her to swim in short order.
    stingray likes this.

Welcome back ... Hockey has four weeks left..if we or my ladies make finials, so back into training. Glenn tomorrow bugger all wind for a week now vis might be great, anyway incoming tide... Going to dive the reserve for an hour and half or until dusk.

Will post up here when I'm going so anyone keen for a swim can just rock up and will have a dive buddy and meet a forum member or two.

So Wednesday about 415 pm till I'm cold or it's dusk Glenndun. Tan Nissan....Or white buoy ( little barstards flogged me yellow buoy again) black fins in reserve or south of reserve about 500 meters.
    veitnamcam and Munsey like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Your keen ! What's water temp at the moment ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Keen F*#king as... good wet suit though (never more happy with this one)! water temp is about 11 - 12 here and the sounds which gives me about 3 hours in the water.

When we dived Kaiks last I could only handle a hour and a half so I'm picking it's alot less What really gets ya is the wind chill and the inabilty to warm up when you get out of the water to change spots. There's no heat in the sun and you just do not generate enough warmth through hot food and drink to make it safe to return to diving.
    Nil durum volenti !!