Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree5476Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Nice fish.
    No comment on the pink pants this time?
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Iím starting to get agitated now. All the good weather has coincided with me being at work. Even the wife is saying you NEED to go fishing. Very envious of all your photos!
    I know that feeling well.
    Its the start of the snapper season here and the fish are fat as... and I just had shoulder surgery so I am going to know it all to well in a few weeks time!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Wildman and MB like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Attachment 123514
    Kawhia today. 50 meters off Albatross. Pretty easy fishing. Thirty in about two hours on less than a bag of pilchards.
    Would have let this guy go but dragging them up from fifty meters pops them.
    @7mmwsm, ya can't fool me. That ain't 50 metres off Albatross.
    Tertle likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    @7mmwsm, ya can't fool me. That ain't 50 metres off Albatross.
    You're pretty sharp Gadget. It's actually somewhere near Taupo.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    You're pretty sharp Gadget. It's actually somewhere near Taupo.
    I was thinking about 50m off the verandah.

Damn this warm weather is getting to me, might have to get the yaks on the water.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Two days fishing and the comparison between them......

Sat 2nd Nov. Charter of 20 fisho's. Out over the Kaipara bar and anchored up in 53m. Sounder showed fish all the way out. Headed back over the bar 2hrs later with most guys taking close to their limits of snapper. Gurnard, Trevally and Kahawai present added to the bag. Plagued by kings mainly rats, landed 41 in total, 7 over 80cm kept , the rest were released alive.

Sat 9th Nov. Charter of 21 fisho's. Out over the Kaipara bar and anchored up in 54m. Sounder showed little sign of fish all the way out. Fished for an hour and landed 7 snapper. Moved inshore to 25m, then tried 30m, 38m, 42m, 60m+ and moved 8 times in all. No Kings despite thrashing the water with a variety of jigs. 7 hrs fishing in total. Most guys got a feed (3-5 snapper). A few Kahawai, no Gurnard or Trevally. The sounder showed a few small pockets of fish but most of the time it was bare.

Biggest difference between the 2 days were the 2 trawlers that were running back and forth up and down off the Kaipara.
    Inspection of the fish showed that the snapper havent yet spawned and were ripe with roe.

Draw your own conclusions............
    veitnamcam likes this.

I spent a few days up the Coromandel years ago. We were targeting kingies off the rocks. Saturday there were kings and bait everywhere, Sunday, not a sign of anything. Conditions were the same and we fished most of the day both days. That's fishing....
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I spent a few days up the Coromandel years ago. We were targeting kingies off the rocks. Saturday there were kings and bait everywhere, Sunday, not a sign of anything. Conditions were the same and we fished most of the day both days. That's fishing....
    I agree, thats fishing........

But having fished the West Coast off the Kaipara for over 45 years and have the same thing happen every year during spawning season and noted the effect that the trawlers have, I dont think 'Thats Fishing' has a lot to do with it...............

Just my opinion. YMMV

(Meant to add in my OP that the trawlers have been hammering the area for the last 5-6 days........)