Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Fly fishing kit / Combo

Fly fishing kit / Combo

Chaps, hopefully I will be travelling soon to New Zealand. I need to build a fly fishing kit which does not break bank but at the same time its not so useless that I outgrow it in a short time.

I am thinking of picking up this combo - https://www.fishcityhamilton.co.nz/p...-combo-9ft-6wt as it has some nice views on You Tube and comes with quality fly line. What do you guys think of it? Do you think I can get something better in similar +-$50-100 budget? Not averse to used tackle too.

I will be mainly fishing near wellington/ Manawatu area. What you learned folks suggest?

MB
    Can't comment on the gear, but a multi-section rod is a good idea. You might find yourself on a hike, or a hunting trip where something that packs up small is ideal.
    Inder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Can't comment on the gear, but a multi-section rod is a good idea. You might find yourself on a hike, or a hunting trip where something that packs up small is ideal.
    Yes that is the idea @MB. Apart from that wife owns a hatchback so until I get car of my own, need something which can fit in.

I'm not really familiar with the water around wellington and manawatu but for an all-rounder for NZ I'd drop to a 5wt
    Moa Hunter, Ned and Black Rabbit like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I'm not really familiar with the water around wellington and manawatu but for an all-rounder for NZ I'd drop to a 5wt

Thanks Ryan, actually my first choice was this TFO combo (I have used TFO spinning rods and kind of like those) https://www.fishingstation.com.au/sh...bel-fly-combo/ but was advised that a 6wt will be better as a overall NZ kit. Hence this choice. Little confused now

Wellington has the Hutt River - a #7 or #8 would still be quite handy there. The Airflo Atom combo below or the Primal Quest combo at H&F ($250 and $300 respectively) are good value at the moment.
    Name:  IMG_20220908_201055.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  964.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220908_201007.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  750.9 KB
    Inder likes this.

Ned
    I'd go a 5wt. If it's too windy for a 5wt it'll be too windy for a 6wt. 5wt will cover the bulk of water you'd be fishing.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and Inder like this.

This is similar to the 270 vs 308 vs 3006 debate LOL. You’ll get as many opinions as there are fly fisherman, and very much depends what water & what part of country you’ll be fishing. Personally if had only one fly rod it would be a 6wt.
    Husky1600, Pixie Z, NO4 and 3 others like this.

Im with chainsaw on this - if I only had one rod it would be a 6 weight. After 35 years guiding, I think the number of 6 weight rods that clients have used or bought to NZ would be well over 60%, all the other weights make up the rest. I see no issues with buying a mid priced combo/package, but the closer you get to the fish, the better the quality you need, ie but the best leaders and tippets you can find, and the best possible fly line to deliver it. The $150 price bracket seems to be the norm for good quality fly line. Another on line option for good gear is the fly shop.co.nz.
    Bol Tackshin, Ned, Inder and 2 others like this.

MB
    Sometimes good deals here and they are a decent bunch to deal with despite being a big company: https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/

I don't think they have an awful lot of freshwater expertise though, so make an informed choice.
    Ned and Inder like this.

Always shop the midweek deals on Wednesday at Marine Deals!
    Inder likes this.

Thanks Gents, Thanks for your suggestions. Will update here when I pick up the tackle.

https://www.flyshop.co.nz/mm5/mercha...y_rod_packages I forgot about www.flyshop.co.nz c excellent service and value.
    Nice rods - I have had one and they have a great feel, finish and action. At that price it would be hard to decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    https://www.flyshop.co.nz/mm5/mercha...y_rod_packages I forgot about www.flyshop.co.nz c excellent service and value.
    Nice rods - I have had one and they have a great feel, finish and action. At that price it would be hard to decline.
    Thanks @Bol Tackshin I liked their product description giving users enough info. Will look at the package. I have to wind up my affairs here so have enough time to make an informed decision.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Don't overlook getting a spinning combo too, lots of great spinning to be had around Wellington and the Manawatu
    MB likes this.