Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Trout Spin Combo help

Trout Spin Combo help

So for first time in 22 years (since we moved from Canterbury) I have brought a Freshwater licence so me n the dog have an excuse to wander round the local rivers.

I have plenty of Sea fishing gear, Salmon fishing(and snapper) gear and a Fly Rod I have not had out also for 22 years.

Would like to try the light spinning for trout. Been looking at combos in the Humping and Camping catalogue and like the look of the Shimano Stradic/Backbone rod 7ft combo. Looking at 4 piece combos for portability. Cheaper at Marine Deals though

Any suggestions budget to about $500 max

bugger that.....you can do the job sucessfully and much more joyfully with budget less than half of that.... and dont over look a telescopic rod..they have come a long way in a few short years...you could do worse than look in the warehouse too. most smaller sportshops will have something suitable without big ticket pricetag.
    mawzer308 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Back in 1998-2002 I use to use a carbon fibre telescopic spin rod for trout. Was great. Packed up real small, slipped into day pack no problems. I used it several times a week down in Southland.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    So for first time in 22 years (since we moved from Canterbury) I have brought a Freshwater licence so me n the dog have an excuse to wander round the local rivers.

I have plenty of Sea fishing gear, Salmon fishing(and snapper) gear and a Fly Rod I have not had out also for 22 years.

Would like to try the light spinning for trout. Been looking at combos in the Humping and Camping catalogue and like the look of the Shimano Stradic/Backbone rod 7ft combo. Looking at 4 piece combos for portability. Cheaper at Marine Deals though

Any suggestions budget to about $500 max
    I've got that exact combo Mikee and it's caught me plenty of fish, the four piece is the way to go I reckon can chuck it in it's tube and throw it on the quad or in your pack etc.The wee stradic reel is nice enough, not going to win any awards but gets the job done, one thing to note is there is no reverse on them, some people like to fish with the reverse engaged but I've never been one to do that anyhow
    mikee and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

That combo looks pretty reasonable and at $379 it gives you a bit of spare cash for some decent braid and a couple of lures.
    You can catch plenty of trout on cheap shit, but you struggle throwing light lures with them, you also loose the touch and sensitivity. For me, throwing Toby's around for trout, that doesn't spin my wheels.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

If you like the stradic check out the updated ci4 version the vanford. Same but carbon body. I use the stradic ci4 and would recommend.

Would highly recommend the Stradic reel.
    stingray likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

MB
    I'd go 1-3kg rod or something like that for trout and a size 1000 reel. The Vanfords are probably the lightest reel (in weight) out there and are a pleasure to use.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I'd go 1-3kg rod or something like that for trout and a size 1000 reel. The Vanfords are probably the lightest reel (in weight) out there and are a pleasure to use.
    I'm not on board with 1-3kg rods, I generally find them too "noodley"
    I prefer a light 2-4kg rod for 90% of the trout fishing I do, I have built a few lighter rods for people and I just don't like how they fish.
    My go-to trout combo weighs in sub 260g all spooled up and ready to go
    Moa Hunter likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by makka View Post
    I'm not on board with 1-3kg rods, I generally find them too "noodley"
    I prefer a light 2-4kg rod for 90% of the trout fishing I do, I have built a few lighter rods for people and I just don't like how they fish.
    My go-to trout combo weighs in sub 260g all spooled up and ready to go
    I guess it depends what size lures you are using. For reference, I use a 2-5kg rod and 2500 reel for snapper fishing. The snapper are big and numerous.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I guess it depends what size lures you are using. For reference, I use a 2-5kg rod and 2500 reel for snapper fishing. The snapper are big and numerous.
    I run a 2-5kg and a 2500 for snapper as well, it is noticeably heavier action that the 2-4kg even though the blanks are from the same manufacturer.
    I have just wrapped the guides onto a 1-3kg BFS rod for this season, I can already tell I'm going to want something crisper though haha

I've got a similar combo but a shorter rod, it'll definitely do the job. the reel is a bit meh, but the rod is great far far better than any rod I had previous.

Banned
    @mikee Would you consider going to an 8' rod. I used 7' for years and then changed to 8' 4pc. - way better. Better for playing a fish because there is more movement / bend in the rod, just like how a fly rod works a longer spin rod has more shock absorption. Longer casts are easier with lighter lures.
    It was very hard to get an 8' pc and then last year the shops were full of them but this year back to 2pc. There might be some old stock sitting around.
    I have had a 'Dragon' trout spin for a few years, the blank is as good as a Loomis but the fittings / seat are not the same quality. Great rod that is delicate enough to play a 1lb trout or control a Salmon or Kahawai
    mikee likes this.

Im still catching trout on the 2 piece fibreglass rod Mum bought for me 44 years ago ....and I also use a 4 ft warehouse kids special,all be it with a bit of shovel handle for handle as the plastic one broke so drilled hole in wood and shoved fibreglass rod in,then bound on an old real seat....I can run 4lb line on that and flick 5grm rapelas out with ease and accuracy...again,you dont need to spend big bucks to get a good trout set up.
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    In short, anything mentioned will catch fish, some of it comes down to personal preference. As for cheap vs expensive gear, like everything else, the expensive stuff probably won't catch you any more fish, but it will be nicer to use.
    TeRei, erniec and makka like this.