Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Fly fishing - what do I need?

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    You can ring me if you like, we need a catch up. Like I said on the other thread Kilwel Companion, won't break the bank covers most scenarios and if you like the sport you can upgrade and pass the Companion down to the kids. I've got 10 fly rods including Composite Developments and Loomis also a couple of Companion's which do get used periodically. Will sell one if you are interested?

I bought a cheap combo(rod,reel,line) from H&F and slowly started buying flies(nymphs),trying different flies in different place at different times and have had some pretty good luck,i like to drive around and look for small fast flowing streams and rivers:-) and my cheap set up has lasted 3years and i havent changed the line on the reel yet haha since iv moved to the waikato and dont know the area very well i dont know where to fish around here,anyone got any spots the wouldnt mind sharing:-)

A guy once told me about the brown trout in the Waikato. He was fishing below the Karipiro Damn from memory, he was fishing from a tree over looking the river when a carp shot across to the side of the bank and holed up. A short time later a large brown lined it up and when it broke the brown hit it, stunned it, and then proceeded to eat it head first because of the scales. He then got the idea to fish using live carp, have to live catch from the same river, hooks a balloon in its back and floats it out. Said he had to be patient when the bow wave hit, because of the procedure to devour, but then it all on.
    They used to have a club in the Waikato fishing these large trout, don't know if it still exists, there are some very large trout in there

You sure he wasn't having u on maca haha never heard of trout taking live bait haha i could be wrong of course,the waikato river bit big for fly fishing,I'm used to small shallow rivers i can stand in haha,would have to throw a spinner in i think

They take live bait all the time? These browns are 600mm plus, they only survive by eating live bait or other trout or carp

I did not know that haha i thought big browns like that were mainly south island monsters lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    A guy once told me about the brown trout in the Waikato. He was fishing below the Karipiro Damn from memory, he was fishing from a tree over looking the river when a carp shot across to the side of the bank and holed up. A short time later a large brown lined it up and when it broke the brown hit it, stunned it, and then proceeded to eat it head first because of the scales. He then got the idea to fish using live carp, have to live catch from the same river, hooks a balloon in its back and floats it out. Said he had to be patient when the bow wave hit, because of the procedure to devour, but then it all on.
    They used to have a club in the Waikato fishing these large trout, don't know if it still exists, there are some very large trout in there
    I like the sound of this caper live baiting for trout like kingies.have you tried it macca?ive done this to kingies plenty.

Enquir at one of the sports shops, the guy that told me was from f&g. Recon it would be a great sport, another would be fishing either below the dam at atimuri, or arapuni in the river or off the bridge or dam, you need a landing net with a long rope!

Haven't myself but been out with others, from Tauranga,using live bait

Hows the fishing been around tga macca

Believe the snappers been VG, I fish Taupo and keep my boat there, Taupo has improved over this season but compared with a few yrs ago it's been IMO poor

Yea im born and bred whakatane and i go fishing over there,both fresh and salt water,ol mans gotta boat there so steal that for a fish haha thornton/matata been very good for snapper lately,dads been get 18-20pounders on the longline,i usually flyfish tarawera river which has been good,