Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: I suck at snapper fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Whats a cutta? You don't mean barracuda do you?
    NZ Barracouta is not an actual Barracuda

The bay is fishing very well at the moment just off rabbit island, took Greg out Tuesday before work lines in the water by about quarter past five by 6am we had landed 10 on rods and went to pick up long line before it caught too many and got another 7, Dad went out wed morning and got his 10 all on the rod.
    Gibo likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I dont think many know this:
    Thyrsites atun, the snoek, is a long, thin, species of snake mackerel found in the seas of the Southern Hemisphere. This fish can reach a length of 200 centimetres (79 in) SL though most do not exceed 75 centimetres (30 in) SL. The maximum recorded weight for this species is 6 kilograms (13 lb). It is very important to commercial fisheries and is also a popular game fish. It is currently the only known member of its genus.[2] It is also known in Australasia as barracouta though it is not related to the barracuda.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    yup I knew
    Gibo likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I dont think many know this:
    Thyrsites atun, the snoek, is a long, thin, species of snake mackerel found in the seas of the Southern Hemisphere. This fish can reach a length of 200 centimetres (79 in) SL though most do not exceed 75 centimetres (30 in) SL. The maximum recorded weight for this species is 6 kilograms (13 lb). It is very important to commercial fisheries and is also a popular game fish. It is currently the only known member of its genus.[2] It is also known in Australasia as barracouta though it is not related to the barracuda.
    Apparently, canned smoked snoek can be bought in Aus. I've never eaten these fish 'cause I was told that they didn't taste too good, were full of worms, and only useful as bait. That changed the day that my F-i-L gave me a taste of one that he had cold smoked.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Apparently, canned smoked snoek can be bought in Aus. I've never eaten these fish 'cause I was told that they didn't taste too good, were full of worms, and only useful as bait. That changed the day that my F-i-L gave me a taste of one that he had cold smoked.
    I have never tried it but I would sooner eat a pooh

I have been woken up in the middle of the night to change the tune of the filtting machine to fillet them.
    As they come out of the machine onto the white conveyors under lights you could see the flesh was actually 50percent worm parasite.

I said "who eats this Shit?" apparently the aussi fish and chip market love it.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yep, the cape snoek is regarded as a delicacy in South Africa too, its a prize catch and you pay through the nose for it! I think NZ is the only country in the world that don't eat it!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Might be why NZ is the best country in the world
    veitnamcam, Spudattack and Toby like this.

Snoek Braai Recipe | Snoek Apricot Jam

Recipe if you want to try!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Yep, the cape snoek is regarded as a delicacy in South Africa too, its a prize catch and you pay through the nose for it! I think NZ is the only country in the world that don't eat it!
    It's also bony as fuck.

Is this the same fish I catch round here that I refer to as blue Hake ? Think of similar genus ,1st cousin perhaps.
    Hake / Gem fish being probably the best of all smoking fish .High in oil content which is why both species are excellent smoked.
    Known to carry a gut worm similar to that which the IS cod get but not a problem if they are gutted straight away .
    Gun control means using both hands

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have been woken up in the middle of the night to change the tune of the filtting machine to fillet them.
    As they come out of the machine onto the white conveyors under lights you could see the flesh was actually 50percent worm parasite.

I said "who eats this Shit?" apparently the aussi fish and chip market love it.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Like you Cam, they couldn't pay me enough to eat them. The sight of all those worms sticking their heads out of a couda fillet you have just cut up for bait is enough to put anyone off surely. A hell of a lot of the fish species we caught around I don't eat worms dead or alive, if I can help it.

Cold smoked probably just made the worms more lively.

here's how i set up to catch snapper and it works so give it a go next time. Use a really long trace off the sinker, like 20 to 30 feet long. the sinker sits on the bottom and the hook/bait will move away and sit on the bottom as well. only thing is to make sure the terrain is suitable.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    here's how i set up to catch snapper and it works so give it a go next time. Use a really long trace off the sinker, like 20 to 30 feet long. the sinker sits on the bottom and the hook/bait will move away and sit on the bottom as well. only thing is to make sure the terrain is suitable.
    Sounds like a harbour rig to me Strong current?