Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: I suck at snapper fishing!

K95
    I suck at salmon fishing.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    How many of those 80 released fish survive do you think?
    Most are around the 30-37cm mark and are flighting fit when released. Our limit bag normally consists of these actual fish that have actually swallowed the bait deep so rather than risk damage to the fish we tap on head, retrieve the sinker and hook and put on ice. Nice.
    So I would hazard an accurate guess and say only two fish over the last few years were 50/50. One was 21lbs. He was looking lethargic but rather than take him home I gave him a fighting chance at procreating.
    Unlike those snapper and gurnard floating off the west coast right now.
    Shameful. Gutless. Wrong.
    Dan M

Yes every fish caught by a trawler should have to be landed and counted against their quota, this is how it works deep sea but not inshore?
    mikee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Time Out: Maybe its back to basics time dude, fish change of light am/pm .Try the old moari way ,2hrs each side of high tide or an hr each side of low.The traditional feeding peeks ,forget about bite times etc most of its B/S any way.Big bit of skippy on a 5/0 hook,wrap some cotton round it & throw it over the side. Rod in holder a coldie ,kick back, hurry up n wait . Back the drag off to pretty slippery .
    Stress free if ya got enough coldies man .
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by K95 View Post
    try trout fishing.

R93
    Few about I hear mate. Got a couple pics tonight from a cobber doing well around Whataroa.
    Looking forward to a fish myself.
    Gunna head south for the comp when I get home and then to Haast for some saltwater action.

Will give you a bell and we can have a look for a salmon.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Time Out: Maybe its back to basics time dude, fish change of light am/pm .Try the old moari way ,2hrs each side of high tide or an hr each side of low.The traditional feeding peeks ,forget about bite times etc most of its B/S any way.Big bit of skippy on a 5/0 hook,wrap some cotton round it & throw it over the side. Rod in holder a coldie ,kick back, hurry up n wait . Back the drag off to pretty slippery .
    Stress free if ya got enough coldies man .
    I hate to think how many ive lost from putting it in the rod holder
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I hate to think how many ive lost from putting it in the rod holder
    I can't hold onto 2 x 16' surf rods at the same time but if you'd like to try 1 of my rig's it may solve the problem mate?

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Few about I hear mate. Got a couple pics tonight from a cobber doing well around Whataroa.
    Looking forward to a fish myself.
    Gunna head south for the comp when I get home and then to Haast for some saltwater action.

Will give you a bell and we can have a look for a salmon.

Yeah few getting caught at mapourika, Okarito etc but a bit slim up here. Still a few getting caught but the water is crystal clear and bloody low. Hopefully the forecast rain turns up this weekend and I can sink a hook into something. been some really big fish sighted going into the Hoki the last week or so,
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

R93
    Yeah few getting caught at mapourika, Okarito etc but a bit slim up here. Still a few getting caught but the water is crystal clear and bloody low. Hopefully the forecast rain turns up this weekend and I can sink a hook into something. been some really big fish sighted going into the Hoki the last week or so,
    Sounds good. 10 weeks off this trip home so I hope to find a couple for the smoker.
    Will give ya a bell when home and pick your brains.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I can't hold onto 2 x 16' surf rods at the same time but if you'd like to try 1 of my rig's it may solve the problem mate?
    Got ya, I was thinking more of boatie, hook up a bait heave it out, rod in holder , beer open ..... Can't understand why I'm loosing bait but not getting bites or fish ....
    veitnamcam and Gibo like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Took some guys out today on a charter for 3hrs. Caught 4 fish, managed to return 2 of them, the 3rd would not descend so I said to take him and the fourth is off to the taxidermist. Some very happy campers indeed, well especially one of them.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Got ya, I was thinking more of boatie, hook up a bait heave it out, rod in holder , beer open ..... Can't understand why I'm loosing bait but not getting bites or fish ....
    Them snapper can be as gentle on the bite as a big ole brown trout taking a fly ,they just come into ya bait & have a chew & you wouldn't know they're there. Wrap some cotton round it a few times stuffs them up & they got a bite hard enough to hook them selves. I use green cotton from $2 shop ,theres a reason I use green too
    stingray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    +1 i was talking off a boat. I like to actively fish and hate recurves so if my rods in the holder its only while im doing something else
    veitnamcam and Gapped axe like this.

Any pics GA?
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive