Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: I suck at snapper fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    For sure Dave, hopefully I can break your curse!
    Small yellow eyed mullet?

Pipers are long, thin, and snouty. Bit like a bonsai swordfish.

Yep ,thats a wee mullet but its cool those & herring make good baits for big snapper ,scale & then steak them.Even the heads are good bait.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Whats a cutta? You don't mean barracuda do you?
    yip, .... southern sailfish, snakes, tackle shop owners friend , cray bait , cod chewing piece of shit fish etc... and smokes up pretty good according to Yukon!!

Truth be told we ate a lot of it when we were young, mum cooked it up in fish cakes (she wasted nothing), huge bones so easy to work with....don't rember them having the worms in the flesh they do now? does anyone else?

I use em for long line or cheap bait myself, excellent gropher bait!
    Nil durum volenti !!

I'm told its a gut worm stingray ,when the host fish dies the worm eats its way out because it needs to find a new host.
    They not fussy about how the escape they just eat their way out ,through the flesh .I generally head & gut them cut in half to fit into my pack .No where near as ugly when you cut the head off either. Leave them any length of time & if they are carrying worm then you got a problem .
    stingray likes this.

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Plenty out in Nelson at the moment, all on the long line though.
    Still nice to bring some home for tea
    Heres 3 out of the 10 we got.
    veitnamcam, R93, Munsey and 2 others like this.
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

One rod caught rest on L line... Two hour soak at 30 meters ... All squid baits
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  113.1 KB
    veitnamcam, Dundee and Munsey like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Hey R93 - can I get to be a member of your club - I am an expert at not catching snapper
    Second trip out of Sulphur Point yesterday - never touched a fish
    Dundee tells me I need to talk with Chris
    Jeez Chris - I used to think that going out of Bowentown was hard work - but at least we used to get a feed
    We were close to plenty of boats yesterday and never saw anyone getting excited - close to Matakana and out towards Karewa - bait, soft bait, anchored and drifting
    I need to talk with someone before next trip - any experts out there that need a ride or anyone that wants to buy a T581 - it’s going cheap cause there must be something wrong with it

Shit was suposed to get in touch. Hit the harbour mate. Tried all weekend out at Pukehina (well I drunk beer on the beach) and mates only got undersized ones.
    Get up the Te Puna channel at the turn of high up in a metre or two. Burley hard and you should be all go. Does take a few visits to work out the channels but once you know where they are its all go this time of year.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    Hey R93 - can I get to be a member of your club - I am an expert at not catching snapper issed off:
    Jeez Chris - I used to think that going out of Bowentown was hard work - but at least we used to get a feed
    We were close to plenty of boats yesterday and never saw anyone getting excited - close to Matakana and out towards Karewa - bait, soft bait, anchored and drifting
    I need to talk with someone before next trip - any experts out there that need a ride or anyone that wants to buy a T581 - it’s going cheap cause there must be something wrong with it
    It is a small club but you're more than welcome.
    I had a few last trip up chasing them but I am pretty sure I still suck at it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Looks like I need to pull the boat out and go get some before they bugger off again. Love pulling in the long lines when they are full of snapper.
    mikee likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I don't, caught this one last weekend . Put it back after a photo but 5 mins and it was back up again, so tried yet again but no joy so I kept it. Around 11kg scales were crap they kept bouncing between 10 an 12kg's so I took the medium.Name:  IMG_1464.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  51.7 KB
    veitnamcam, Dundee, R93 and 3 others like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

The old man and his brother got their 20 in half an hour last sat out off parapara beach, dad had four on board before uncle had finished fucking around with the anchor
    All on the rods, haven't heard any reports of "Good" snapper fishing in nelson for a while but you usually get a few weeks after spawn of "good"
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Snapper might have finally come inshore ,picked up 4 this morning 2@ 3kg & a couple smaller but still nice pannies .
    Been slow turning up but hopefully they'll hang around for a while now

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    Hey R93 - can I get to be a member of your club - I am an expert at not catching snapper
    Hard case
    Hi mate, I normally head out off the mount either via the 'Cut' or sulphur pt to spot x and burley and stray line. We've caught our limit in all trips. 3@ over 20lbs also. Weighed and photographed and released apart from one that died instantly.
    Snapper are my favourite sea fish to catch as they can be off or on... When they're on it a buzz. Probably release 80 in a day fishing and often don't move I just wait till they come in.

If you have a boat you could tag along or you could jump in with me...as long as your not a wanker and you also bring the coffee and gingernuts.
    My boats got an electrical problem and caused problems on Thursdays outing so will be two weeks out of action.
    Dan M

How many of those 80 released fish survive do you think?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.