Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gibo

Thread: lube for reels

lube for reels

What lube do you use on a fishing reel on the parts that may come in contact with the nylon line?
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Nothing, any lube will attract dust and increase wear, clean well with warm water to remove salt and wipe dry, oil, grease internal parts, and wipe housing/ casing dry with a rag, once in a while i may put a little light weight oil on the rag and polish housings, marine spay, gun oil, hyd oil etc. keep oil of nylon,

Ok. Newish to the fishing thing. The wire thing that flips over the reel is a bit sticky and it has a little rotating guide roller thing on it thats the same.

Release the tension on the roller screw and brush on some inox on in there - I never spray it as it can go places you don't want it to, always use a fine brush, or back the screw out and remove the bearing in the roller (if it has one) and check the bearing over, can add some reel grease to the bearing upon reinstall
    Barry the hunter likes this.

+1 for Inox.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Release the tension on the roller screw and brush on some inox on in there - I never spray it as it can go places you don't want it to, always use a fine brush, or back the screw out and remove the bearing in the roller (if it has one) and check the bearing over, can add some reel grease to the bearing upon reinstall
    yup Inox - completly agree with Gibo- that line roller on fixed spools must be lubricated - fishing with an old mate from Kaitaia and his was seized and had a groove in it that chopped his line repeatedly - I do spray it in but wipe reel carefully afterwards and remove spool so it does not go onto nylon - and guys try to buy a new roller for most reels damn near impossible to get parts for lots of reels especially earlier shimano trust me I know

Only reason I brush and not spray is because my reels are Daiwa with Mag seal, inox is not good a good combo with that mag seal grease

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yup Inox - completly agree with Gibo- that line roller on fixed spools must be lubricated - fishing with an old mate from Kaitaia and his was seized and had a groove in it that chopped his line repeatedly - I do spray it in but wipe reel carefully afterwards and remove spool so it does not go onto nylon - and guys try to buy a new roller for most reels damn near impossible to get parts for lots of reels especially earlier shimano trust me I know
    Roller itself if in good shape wont need replacing, any good fishing shop can get replacement bearings

Cool thanks guys

Was going to use some graphite but ive got inox as well