Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Salmon

Salmon

Anybody else trying to catch a salmon

I will be Jan/Feb in the Rakaia.
    Hopefully I will be as successful as last time!
    Trout, Shearer and A330driver like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Bus driver
    Well let’s hope the chinook(Quinnat) is a good run… are there any mechanical fish counters on the Rakia???…Feb/Mar being the peak of the run,…. Would interesting to see the numbers if possible???
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

Someone caught a good one waitaki mouth two nights ago
    Trout likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Well let’s hope the chinook(Quinnat) is a good run… are there any mechanical fish counters on the Rakia???…Feb/Mar being the peak of the run,…. Would interesting to see the numbers if possible???
    Not as far as I know. Salmon fishing has deteriated largely thru loss of water taken for "other things". I remember watching my Grandad catch Salmon in the Ashburton river, now its just a poluted trickle in the stones!
    Billbob likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Not as far as I know. Salmon fishing has deteriated largely thru loss of water taken for "other things". I remember watching my Grandad catch Salmon in the Ashburton river, now its just a poluted trickle in the stones!
    My wifes old uncle from way back in the 60s caught a 42 lb salmon from the Ashburton river mouth.I live to far away from the salmon rivers to be allowed to catch one salmon only.More bang for your buck tipping a deer over times 10.
    Billbob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Park about 3 to 5ks up from the mouth when the river is low,120cu/scs you should find a place where they are shooting the rapids.Generally hug the south side of the river.
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Someone caught a good one waitaki mouth two nights ago
    You live in a prime place there RS,10 minuts from the mouth in the evening.Big sea run trout rise on the evening tide there.

Bus driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Park about 3 to 5ks up from the mouth when the river is low,120cu/scs you should find a place where they are shooting the rapids.Generally hug the south side of the river.

Very surprised they don’t have a fish counter of sorts to register the run… especially if the numbers are low???
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

40 od years ago on the Waitaki river they had a fish counter.Generally now they do fly overs,over the spawning grounds n cound the reeds.

Yeah only allowed one per day and total of 2 for season. Total farce as thats really the only answer "a learned organisation" can think of!
    Trout likes this.

I use to catch lots of salmon and some ripper sea run Trout from the Ashburton mouth me and the ol man use to average 35 each a year and a couple always over 35lbs
    Trout, A330driver, MB and 2 others like this.

Mid 70s down the Waitaki for xmas holidays,use to catch salmon.About February the 6th,the big runs would start coming in.Youd let 14-16pounders go,not big enough.

Yeah only allowed one per day and total of 2 for season. Total farce as thats really the only answer "a learned organisation" can think of!
    What is the answer ?
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    What is the answer ?
    Well fish and game used to run a salmon hatachery at Glenarrife and release salmon every year. Does not happen now i believe.
    Water is extracted for a multitude of uses leaving rangitata, rakaia and ashburton as shadows of their former selves.
    Licence holders would not mind restrictions in catch if other things were being done to try and improve things.......
    Hunteast likes this.