Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Salmon

Biggest issue with Ashburton, Rangitata and Rakaia is the loss of water compared to earlier times. Also for many years young fish ended up on paddocks due to poorly designed/function fish screens on RDR irrigation scheme.
    Trout, kukuwai and IamHackmeat like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Bus driver
    Depends where u are… No?
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

lack of water and crap in the water has had a big impact. can remember going out with my uncles in the late 80s fishing round skipton and mid reaches of the opihi we would see schools of salmon , was a rare day that nothing was hooked . doubt my kids will experience that now
    Micky Duck likes this.

Bus driver
    Quote:The "purpose" the hatcheries have left us is genetically weak fish and smaller fish.

Show me the data???…. I’ve fished the Kenai and the copper rivers…. Smaller YES… genetically weak??…

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Quote:The "purpose" the hatcheries have left us is genetically weak fish and smaller fish.

Show me the data???…. I’ve fished the Kenai and the copper rivers…. Smaller YES… genetically weak??…
    https://washingtonstatestandard.com/...n-populations/
    https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/...etic-17022016/

Truck loads more examples , just google "salmon hatcheries weaking genetics".
    A330driver and Shamus_ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    https://washingtonstatestandard.com/...n-populations/
    https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/...etic-17022016/

Truck loads more examples , just google "salmon hatcheries weaking genetics".
    This has been an issue for years (and is well documented) in Norwegian/Salmon specifically with escapees from fish farms breeding with the native wild salmon
    sore head stoat likes this.

Yep heaps of evidence.

Increased disease, lower reproductive rate etc etc

What's the name of that movie about it??...ill try to find it.
    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Artifishal

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    stingray and A330driver like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Bus driver
    Interesting articles indeed ,hard to despute the evidence for sure…..

what’s interesting for me is that during the salmon fishing opens in the NW,you are specifically only allowed to take specified types ie ,hatchery,coho,chinook,etc etc…. For a period of time we are allowed to take hatchery AND native salmon…… I’ve pulled 2 on the same day,,size,colour,taste texture are almost identical….. very difficult once they’ve been filleted to tell the difference……depending on the time of season(usually late)…. The only real difference is colour,the late season (native)chinook have a deeper red colour….

As someone who dedicated his life to salmonids in the PNW...which is where most of these documentaries and debates originate I'd take all these "fact based" studies and documentaries with a heap of salt as they will spin everything to their side of the story...Seaspiricy says the ocean will be void of fish in 20 years or some such foolishness. Also, I'd just point out...aren't your NZ "wild" salmon runs just strays from hatcheries/farms in the first place? Anyway...
    Also I hope to see to Wairau at some point this season...I doubt these fish have seen many backtrolled kwikfish
    Good luck to all this season!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    As someone who dedicated his life to salmonids in the PNW...which is where most of these documentaries and debates originate I'd take all these "fact based" studies and documentaries with a heap of salt as they will spin everything to their side of the story...Seaspiricy says the ocean will be void of fish in 20 years or some such foolishness. Also, I'd just point out...aren't your NZ "wild" salmon runs just strays from hatcheries/farms in the first place? Anyway...
    Also I hope to see to Wairau at some point this season...I doubt these fish have seen many backtrolled kwikfish
    Originally were wild fish and thru 70s/80s ish supplemented by Acclimatisation Society (Now F&G) stripping eggs from wild fish and hatching them / returning smolt to rivers.
    Trout and A330driver like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Bus driver
    Quote: As someone who dedicated his life to salmonids

Blowhard!!

Bus driver
    Reminds me of the blokes down at ..Buoy 10…. Reckless… unforgiving!!

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Quote: As someone who dedicated his life to salmonids

Blowhard!!
    I’ve met and fished with @Joeschmo and think that the above is as far from the truth as possible, I’d call him a bloody top bloke, with a passion for all fisheries and the outdoors.

Most certainly disagree with him by all means ……..but a “blowhard” he certainly isn’t.

They released salmon into some of the Kaikoura streams a few years ago and folks are catching them whilst Kawahai fishing off the beaches now , if they will return to the release streams to spawn remains to be seen, I certainly hope so.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    Our salmon came from the Sacramento river. There were 5 importations between 1901 and 1907 so I guess they were not commercial / hatchery (as we know it now) fish.