Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New fish finder

Quote Originally Posted by silentscope View Post
    something around $1000is, anything from 0m- where ever i can find groper etc. the waters are deep as hell off our coast, they get bluenose etc so id like to be able to have a go for them.
    I hate to break it to ya but could you inflate your budget a little. A FURUNO FCV587 or 627 would do the job nicely for Bluenose or Grouper but you would need a 1 kw transducer as well. A client of ours is using one off Kaikoura and fishing for Ling at 500m with electric real. When I asked how long it takes to wind up the answer was "2 Stubbies"

There are other brands but all would need a 1kw transducer to show fish reliably at 200-500m

(Below links are for example but I will disclose I do work for the local FURUNO distributor)
    Furuno FCV627
    or this
    Furuno FCV587
    with one of these
    Search results for: 'tm258'
    Unfortunately I sold the spare FCV585 to another forum member, it would have been perfect.
    (Munsey you got a hell of a deal didn't you!!)
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I hate to break it to ya but could you inflate your budget a little. A FURUNO FCV587 or 627 would do the job nicely for Bluenose or Grouper but you would need a 1 kw transducer as well. A client of ours is using one off Kaikoura and fishing for Ling at 500m with electric real. When I asked how long it takes to wind up the answer was "2 Stubbies"

There are other brands but all would need a 1kw transducer to show fish reliably at 200-500m

(Below links are for example but I will disclose I do work for the local FURUNO distributor)
    Furuno FCV627
    or this
    Furuno FCV587
    with one of these
    Unfortunately I sold the spare FCV585 to another forum member, it would have been perfect.
    i like the look of the fcv627 i was looking at one in a shop not long ago, would i be needing a 1kw transducer or would a standard one be ok?

i like the look of the fcv627 i was looking at one in a shop not long ago, would i be needing a 1kw transducer or would a standard one be ok?
    Std one (P66 transducer) will work OK'ish up to 150-200m. So if you are mainly fishing 100m or less 90% of the time then it will do the job. If you were fishing deeper more often then you would / might be disappointed, .

the 627 is a 600w sounder but if you stick a 1kw transducer it will work nearly as well as a true 1kw sounder as the bigger transducer has a narrower beam angle and "focuses" the energy better and is more sensitive.
    R93 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

ok sweet. reality being i will most likely be fishing in less than 100m with the odd trip out deep but as i get more confident ill be heading deeper more often. im just trying to decypher all the bullshit and get some real ideas of a good sounder.

if you were to buy a 627 with standard transducer. you could "upgrade" it later to the bigger one if needed.
    I would add I am biased to FURUNO cause I have worked for the local distributors for many years

Furuno FCV627
    or this
    Furuno FCV587
    with one of these
    Sure did
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

if you were to buy a 627 with standard transducer. you could "upgrade" it later to the bigger one if needed.
    I would add I am biased to FURUNO cause I have worked for the local distributors for many years
    yeah i realise that, atleast you know your stuff tho which is good. furuno is good gear id be happy to own one

yeah i realise that, atleast you know your stuff tho which is good. furuno is good gear id be happy to own one
    If you want need any other advise just shoot me a PM. Fishing is just like shooting, a bottomless pit into which money is poured, and if you have a boat the pit is deeper still Fun though
    stingray likes this.

Sorry to drag up an old thread but.
    After thinking I had fixed the old finder it's thrown the toys again.! I'm leaning towards the lowrance elite 5x hdi. But what transducer do I get?
    I watched a review that said the 83/200 is what you what for fresh and shallow water. And the 50/200 is best for deeper water. Also it said the 50/200 is considerably dearer than 83.
    Yet marine deals have the 50/200 transducer model for $399.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone