Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Possible changes to snapper limits for Area SNA1

At least you north islanders get em all year round
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Banned
    not the whole NI ,wellington and wairarapa fisheries runs pretty much like top of the south.

yeah true but you always appreciate a different species getting on your hook, in all the years I have been fishing I have only ever caught one JD which was a fluke when I casted and straylined a whole squid into the water from the rocks up north, been busted off by plenty of kingfish and never landed one , caught heaps of kahawai, trevally and rays but never ever successfully caught a gurnard and that is one of my favorite fish to eat.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Shit thats some serious fish!! But based on only 5 tonne in one day, thats 277 bag limits of 9 fish at 2 kg each. That is one productive bit of ocean if this is correct Mikee.
    well that is correct but then I did count 90 cars with trailers attached at the boat ramp and surrounding streets on Waitangi Weekend, most boats have 4 + anglers. We launch a 0430 just cause I am too lazy to walk and like to park close to ramp Limits 10 here mate.

I am trying to say is there are issues on both sides but typically us "reco's" overlook how much fish we actually take, ((I had 6 people on-board when I set the LL and could have taken 60!!!), and have no idea at all regarding how commercial fishing "rules" work and that financial impact of a whoopsie resulting in a big catch of a species you have no quota for or which puts you over your quota.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    And there's much lobbying from those companies to MPs without balls. Off subject but untreated, kiln dried timer is just unbelievable. Someone got paid for sure
    oh to i hear leaky home, carter holt harvey got a way with murder there, try to get building consent for something other then there shit pine.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    well that is correct but then I did count 90 cars with trailers attached at the boat ramp and surrounding streets on Waitangi Weekend, most boats have 4 + anglers. We launch a 0430 just cause I am too lazy to walk and like to park close to ramp Limits 10 here mate.

I am trying to say is there are issues on both sides but typically us "reco's" overlook how much fish we actually take, ((I had 6 people on-board when I set the LL and could have taken 60!!!), and have no idea at all regarding how commercial fishing "rules" work and that financial impact of a whoopsie resulting in a big catch of a species you have no quota for or which puts you over your quota.
    Yip all good Mikee, just sounded massive tonnage for a boat ramp daily for rec fishing.
    I agree with whats been said here so far. I dont take anything under 350mm

5-10 tonne rec in a day one boat ramp! Stop it!
    fuck Gibo look at sulpher point boat ramp it so so packed they park half way to the marina. and thats one boat ramp on the Tauranga Harbor. you would have shit loads of fish come off those boats just at that boat ramp it would be tons per day. at the snapper spawn name one boat ramp in the wider Tauranga area that isnt packed out with boat trailers that includes the Kaituna Cut. multiply that over every major cities boat ramps thats a lot of boats with even more hooks coming home with tons of snapper every day.

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    fuck Gibo look at sulpher point boat ramp it so so packed they park half way to the marina. and thats one boat ramp on the Tauranga Harbor. you would have shit loads of fish come off those boats just at that boat ramp it would be tons per day. at the snapper spawn name one boat ramp in the wider Tauranga area that isnt packed out with boat trailers that includes the Kaituna Cut. multiply that over every major cities boat ramps thats a lot of boats with even more hooks coming home with tons of snapper every day.

Yes and no Mucko. Agree with numbers but i still believe 80% of the fish are caught by 20% of the fisherman.
    Im not saying im right but that number surprised me is all.
    mucko likes this.

Yes and no Mucko. Agree with numbers but i still believe 80% of the fish are caught by 20% of the fisherman.
    Certainly wouldn't be an average but on some days off this one ramp a realistic estimate.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeap and if you saw my early post it shows you that that annual accepted reco allocation of snapper caught is less then 500ton. i guess what we are all trying to point out is that when we have no records of what recos take how can you blame someone else for the decline in a species. there is no data to show how many bag limits are taken every year and the mere mention of policing the reco upsets them. it is bloody easy to look at your self and say i go fishing twice a year so i take my limit of 9 or 10 each time. it would only take 26,000 people to do that each year to exceed the expected reco catch estimate. you may say not a chance. say if sulphur point had 200 boats a day with two on board over a week at a 2kg fish that would be 12.6 ton of snapper. busy weeks of the year say 10 for round figures thats 126 ton per year from one boat ramp. in reality you may half that figure but thats still 63 ton a year from one boat ramp. yes there are guys that fish all the time and probably catch twice as much as the average blog. this doesnt even factor in the charter boats how many of them out there with 12 pob. the plot thickens. there is no doubt most of the snapper is caught in the spawn so it's not hard to see the figures for what they are.
    mikee and Gibo like this.

Something needs to be done. And across the board.
    recent experience with Snapper showed me that anything under 300mm was a waste and should be put back. and over 500-600are tough and not so tasty.
    Under 300mm require 1 fish per feed. At least over that you can get 2 feeds per fish if you aren't a greedy guts.
    mucko and Gibo like this.

Gotta say I thought the amateur fisher was not a problem, but have change my mind some what, limits need to be tighter. But commercial needs addressing too.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

we had the Carter fishing comp up this way in coro and i think from memory over two days 2.5 ton was weighted.

in two weeks we have the bounty hunter comp. more fished smashed from this area.

you should see how much the mussel farm charters put away each day. its shocking!!!!

but so is the commercial guys, left the gulf alone. nothing happened after all those snapper hit the coast just before or after xmas, the com guys got away with dumping there catch

At least they're feeding them?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Last trip to the mussel barges 21 guys fishing all got their limit plus the barge has a limit as well, lot of fish for about 4 hrs fishing.
    I not complain
    Boom, cough,cough,cough