Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Possible changes to snapper limits for Area SNA1

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jackel View Post
    i can be wrong sometimes
    But not on this occasion TJ
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

RnR
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Heard on the news tonight that they are considering altering the bag limits for snapper in SNA1 area for recreational anglers but sounds like no change to commercial catch limits thought they would have been considering the changes over both recreational fishermen and commercial operations. what are your views on this I agree with the idea of lowering bag limits but should be done over both sectors of fishing and maybe up the size limits too.
    Hunter, it appears the bag limit is coming down and the commercial take will go up. Also, the time given for people to have a say is way too short. We have to have any (don't like the word submission) 'declaration' on our own behalf, in by 10am, Wed 21st August, not much time for people.
    When you consider that the SNA1 area, takes in the out wide areas that the rec fishers cannot access and that most rec fishers are lucky to get two or three Snaps in a trip and only get out a few times a year and have way less wastage than the commercial sector, it is ludicrous.
    Hunt4life likes this.

That is just plain wrong if they are going to lower catch limits then it has to be across the board to be fair if we have to be hit with a lowered catch limit for snapper then so should the commercial guys too, if we do not conserve the snapper fishery now then there won't be much around for generations to come plus I would really like to see an increase in size limits from 27cm to 35cm as minimum and maybe set a maximum size limit as well.

Just found this petition on a fishing forum so anyone here that is keen to sign and support this then sign away

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petition...ional-fishers#

and also the legasea submission
    http://www.legasea.co.nz/sos/index.php
    Last edited by hunter308; 05-08-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

You guys Crack me up if reco fishers want to be fair rego your boats get a skippers ticket and declare your catch to mfish. that way we will see how much reco fishers take then you will see who is better off. currently just under 28,000 daily catch limits(2 kg snapper x 9) for reco's to equal what commercial guys take to provide for those not lucky enough to get out fishing to catch their own. get off your soap box and get real. i now the answer already oh why the fuck should i have to do that which is case and point of the matter. you all wank on about the commercial guys raping the ocean of fish stocks but you will refuse to comply with the same systems that they have to work with to aid in the continued sustainable fish stocks.
    Savage1 likes this.

Why should we take a drop in catch limits when the commercial guys don't get a drop in their catch limits like I said if the govt wants to decrease limits on one lot then it needs to be done across the board so there is no wanking on happening at all we are just standing up for what we believe in. No different to people speaking up against 1080 and heli hunting so why can't we as recreational fishing people not stand up for our rights as well without being stomped on for it. And for the record I do not have a boat and no desire to own one so I am strictly land based for fishing oh and I do think that boas should be registered and all newbie owners do skippers courses might reduce the amounts of unnecessary boating incidents happening during the summer.
    Hunt4life likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

RnR

On Charter boats

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    The same argument could be applied to wild game recovery

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Re charter boats, don't make the mistake of viewing them the same as Commercial vessels. All fish caught on a charter boat is the property of the fisher, not the skipper. All quota allowance is that of the fisher. All fish belongs to the fisher (the customer) and goes off the boat with them, no money is made by the charter operator for the fish caught. Charter boat operators, are taxi drivers basically. So apply that thinking. Sure, a responsible charter skipper will have some boat rules, but the fisher has the legal right to catch their quota and that is that, just like any fella out in their tinny. Reducing the rec fishing quota and increasing the commercial quota, will affect rec fishers, charter operators, tackle shops, boat sales, even motels etc. and other related industries.
    Let MPI know, they cannot push new legislation through at break neck speed, just because the commercial sector bully them into it.
    Hunt4life likes this.

RnR
    Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    You guys Crack me up if reco fishers want to be fair rego your boats get a skippers ticket and declare your catch to mfish. that way we will see how much reco fishers take then you will see who is better off. currently just under 28,000 daily catch limits(2 kg snapper x 9) for reco's to equal what commercial guys take to provide for those not lucky enough to get out fishing to catch their own. get off your soap box and get real. i now the answer already oh why the fuck should i have to do that which is case and point of the matter. you all wank on about the commercial guys raping the ocean of fish stocks but you will refuse to comply with the same systems that they have to work with to aid in the continued sustainable fish stocks.
    There are not 'same systems', you cannot compare the rec quota with the commercial quota. Commercial can take smaller fish, can keep (deem) if they catch more than their quota and commercial wastage is by the tonnage. Why is it that MPI want to reduce the rec quota, while increasing the commercial quota, where is the sustainability in that?
    Hunt4life likes this.

Having spent 9 years deep sea fishing i got quite despondent with the whole management from govt to company to skipper to crew.

The govt just adjust quota to what the big 3 tell them to adjust it to.

Hunt4life likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

They have steadily reduced the Recreational fish limits since 1986 & it hasn't solved the problem.So why don't the reduce the commercial quota by 15% for a year & see if that maybe a better plan of action.Just by way of not penalizing Joe average that just wants a few fish for his family because he can't afford the $48 per kilo the super market wants for snapper.
    Has the government consider the charter operators in the area yet ? Who is going to pay $70 for a day on a charter boat to catch 3 snapper? Let not forget the tax's on sporting goods & every thing the the reco fishers buy.It will probably be a loss in tax's in the hundreds of thousands if not millions per year. So where is that short fall going to come from ?
    Hunt4life likes this.
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    The recreational fisherman have been the ones charged with rebuilding this fishery. Declare your catch to mfish??? we have an enforced limit with fines and the real chance of loosing all your equipment for not complying. "Providing for those not lucky enough to get out and catch their own" What saints!! I think it is you that needs to get real, more like doubling primary exports. I am not saying that commercial fishing is not important, but no way should it come before your everyday kiwi.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Why should we take a drop in catch limits when the commercial guys don't get a drop in their catch limits like I said if the govt wants to decrease limits on one lot then it needs to be done across the board so there is no wanking on happening at all we are just standing up for what we believe in. No different to people speaking up against 1080 and heli hunting so why can't we as recreational fishing people not stand up for our rights as well without being stomped on for it. And for the record I do not have a boat and no desire to own one so I am strictly land based for fishing oh and I do think that boas should be registered and all newbie owners do skippers courses might reduce the amounts of unnecessary boating incidents happening during the summer.
    ever thought the government is more aware of what recos take from the ocean then what you think. and thats why they are cutting reco limits. they do and can police the commercial guys it makes since to let them have a bit more quota because it is so regulated and controlled at least with the commercial guys the government knows where the fish stock is taken from for a bunch of people meant to care about sustainable fish stocks the attitude here sux.

if you dont like the way the system is working then i suggest you submit a voluntary catch record to mfish of what species of fish and where you caught it. if recos have nothing to hide then they wont mind volunteering this info to mfish to help sustain the fish stocks of New Zealand. if recos can do this then they should just shut up because they are their own worst enemy.

Snapper rec fishes catches in Tasman bay have been really good the last two years. Direct result of dropping the commercial catch. No doubt they will put it back up again.

A local Nelson skipper used to skite publicly that he had wiped out snapper in tasman bay. And he very nearly did. Now 20 odd years later they are just back to reasonable numbers.

mikee and Hunt4life like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by outinabout View Post
    The recreational fisherman have been the ones charged with rebuilding this fishery. Declare your catch to mfish??? we have an enforced limit with fines and the real chance of loosing all your equipment for not complying. "Providing for those not lucky enough to get out and catch their own" What saints!! I think it is you that needs to get real, more like doubling primary exports. I am not saying that commercial fishing is not important, but no way should it come before your everyday kiwi.
    that is exactly why recos need the noose tighted with a attitude like that you clearly thinking about yourself and not the fish stocks. do you think recos are the only ones with boats on the line commy guy will loose their lively hood. most of inshore caught fish is for the domestic market but not all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Snapper rec fishes catches in Tasman bay have been really good the last two years. Direct result of dropping the commercial catch. No doubt they will put it back up again.

A local Nelson skipper used to skite publicly that he had wiped out snapper in tasman bay. And he very nearly did. Now 20 odd years later they are just back to reasonable numbers.

Yeap there have been some real bastards in the pre quota management days and still some after fisheries coped a real hiding in the 60's and 70's. it does take time to recover from that sort of hammering. alot of the roughy that was caught was 150 years old i will never see the fisheries recover in my life time

I dont like the way the way the system is working, I have seen first hand the wastage and fish dumping from types of commercial fishing. Do you think that gets reported to mfish?? If it is deemed the the recreational catch is too high there should be bag limit cuts. ACROSS THE BOARD! not by trying to push one sector out of the fishery
    Hunt4life likes this.