Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Whats a good surfcaster

Whats a good surfcaster

Bit like whats a good gun to get. Whats a good cheap half decent surf caster? Probably get used once a year if we go camping. Had an okuma before and it lasted well but its worn out now. Doesnt need to be the latest fashion or anything as it just a fishing rod to me.

I bought a couple of Okuma surfcasting sticks for the family last Christmas, super happy with them and would recommend.
    Went with 14ft as NZ waves can be a little bigger to get over than elsewhere
    jcurtis123 likes this.

Define "cheap" ?
    Carbon fibre is definitely the way to go IMO. My main is a Daiwa 14', 3pc, bought many years ago. $200<400 iirc.
    Second is a kilwel 13' 3pc which was probably about $120.

Only thing is CF wont tolerate abuse and if you do the shitscramble down cliffs and over rocks you'll snap em before too long. But they're super twitchy/responsive and have massive pull. Mine are "short-medium action" The daiwa could honestly use another eye or two near the top.

Also got "the kids" some 7-9' Silstars carbon 2pc about $100 each, and they are awesome fun rods.
    Damnitchy likes this.

agree with 11mms carbon fibre but for rock fishing maybe not unless you are damn carefull and youngsters can be tough on them- they do not like being dropped or stood on - so much good stuff out there and most of it very reasonable price - I have a big 14 ft Penn power surf and rate it a real grunter - get a good glass rod if you are not going to use it much-spend a little more on a middle range reel - okuma is good - so is Penn and Shimano

Yep most likley be around rocks

Not dirt cheap but value priced are the Penn Prevail 2’s. Pick your rod based on length, cast wt and line wt required. About 200 ish. Less on sale at the big stores.

For more twice that and Sako quality Daiwa 23 surf sensor. Be close to 500 in NZ I’d guess. Nice rods for the enthusiasts.

Value reels, Daiwa BG. Look for the old model, 4500 or 6500 depending on your needs. 4500 is equivalent to a shimano 8000. 300 meters of 7kg mono.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damnitchy likes this.

Caretaker
    C D Developments Surf Pro 14 footer

Name:  IMG_2265.jpeg
Views: 403
Size:  21.7 KB
    Pengy likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Land based salt water fishing, the chance of getting big fight is small, in NI you can find a 3.95m rod under 80 dollars, and use smaller size line up to 30 lbs, you still can have a fight with king fish in legal size. No bullshit, my experience.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Yea Im no big game fisherman. As far as my skills go I just need to be able to feed the fish off it and catch sea weed

Hey @blip , marine deals have some bloody good deals on for the weekend on surfcasting gear.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/fishi...kages+Campaign
    blip likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Ok so I've finally done something about this. I have an okuma rod and reel and the reel is fuked so went out today and got a new reel and line. Cheapest way since the rod still seems good to me. Next question is how heavy does the line that the trace is made out of need to be? I think the reel has 20kg line on it. @Beaker went to marine deals
    Beaker likes this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Also what kind of rod do you use to fish off wharfs with the surf caster seems a bit long for it?
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Caretaker
    Am enjoying C D Developments “Haku” rods off the rocks, be fine for wharf fishing

Attachment 240937

Also relying on IRT reels, here’s a 200 for entry level fish up to and including kingis and a 700 for anything more dramatic

Attachment 240938

Penn slammers can be relied upon as well and I use a few of them on the 3 and 4 piece back pack rods

Attachment 240939
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I got a little shimano fx for one of the kids rods and a fin-nor mega lite that was on clearance for my surf caster. Apparently they are a good reel but never heard of them before. It was $200 down to 120 so not sure if thats good or not. Probably like a lot of shooting stuff, the fish wont know...

Also does the colour of the line make any difference?