Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Whats a good surfcaster

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Also does the colour of the line make any difference?
    Nope.
    I’ve used a couple of different colours, they all seem to catch fish
    Beaker likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

I got a little shimano fx for one of the kids rods and a fin-nor mega lite that was on clearance for my surf caster. Apparently they are a good reel but never heard of them before. It was $200 down to 120 so not sure if thats good or not. Probably like a lot of shooting stuff, the fish wont know...
    finn nor were top quality they made really good big game reels not sure today where made

as with most things these days, china
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

what do you use for lube on the reel were bits may come in contact with the line?
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Another question what weight line would you normally use for surf casting. The stuff the guy sold me seems pretty thin and keeps breaking all the time, even breaks when Im casting and Im not even using heavy sinkers

Another question what weight line would you normally use for surf casting. The stuff the guy sold me seems pretty thin and keeps breaking all the time, even breaks when Im casting and Im not even using heavy sinkers
    does not sound right unless its super light - just check your top guide for any nicks or cracks in the eye material - any nick in the material the eye is made of will also nick line - can happen if someone cranks swivels hard up into guide - I use 10 kg normally as main line - with kids fishing of rocks I use a washer made from a half inch square cut from a jandal - drill hole in middle and place last on line behind swivel - if the kid cranks a swivel hard into guide its protected - also check line if you think you have struck rocks - run fingers over line -rocks may have caused cracks and next cast snap

Ok thanks for info all the little tricks

Maybe I shoulda looked up this thread before I started crying about being a sucky surf-caster
    Technically I want a surf caster/retriever. I got an 11’ 10-15kg Shimano rod and I’m gonna spool up with 40# casting 80g.
    Been on a 7’ 20-30kg rod with some lower quality (thickness wise) braid.
    Not sure I’ll be bouncing baits off’n the container ships anchored mid bay like the kiwi I ran into last week but I’ll send em out there a few more meters for sure
    That’s my unsolicited surfcasting update!!

Bought a 15ft rod & penn SS850 reel combo never used it much, I once had an old penn SS750 and it was good quality. The new gear seemed cheap so moved it on.
    Stayed with my old 12ft soft killwell rod, been a great beach rod it's warn out a Mitchell reel now wears a Shinamo 6500 baitfeeder, again old stuff, but well looked after and going well. 15/20-pound main line & 25/30 trace. 90% west coast fishing. Lot depends on the rig your using, running rig, ledger etc and the foul, snag issues.