Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: General Fitness Upkeep

As shown by different people on here there are lots of things you can do. The big thing is find out which one that hits the right areas for you you enjoy. If it is a task to do it you probably wont stick at it, if you enjoy it you'll be more likely to continue. Be inventive. Personally I wouldn't have spent 20 minutes of my life in a gymn (other than with a physio standing over me), too many posers on a fashion parade.

Yeah but when some of those posers (female!!) bend over only one muscle seems to be getting a workout
    Smiddy likes this.
    That's a whatchamacallit! Isn't it?

Well if you get luck that is a good CV workout too.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

P38
    I climb Te Mata Peak 4 days a week

The goat track via the redwoods is a 6.5kms round trip with a 200m total climb.

Takes me about 50 minutes to haul my fat arse up to the summit and about 1 hour 20 minutes round trip.

and it doesn't seem to get any easier either

I've never been to a Gym... Can't understand why someone would drive to a Gym and pay someone to walk on a treadmill.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and ebf like this.

Ejected
    Most, MOST, of you people sound like machines! I just play at least one game of sports Monday-Wednesday and IF I get really motivated maybe jump on exercycle the other days of the week. Even with all that I'm still a fat, lazy prick.

Unfortunately my mountain bike was sacrificed for a ring so 30k rides through the forest no longer happen
    Maybe I should take a leaf out of your books and go walking more often, Mrs would probably appreciate it too

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Most, MOST, of you people sound like machines! I just play at least one game of sports Monday-Wednesday and IF I get really motivated maybe jump on exercycle the other days of the week. Even with all that I'm still a fat, lazy prick.

Unfortunately my mountain bike was sacrificed for a ring so 30k rides through the forest no longer happen
    Maybe I should take a leaf out of your books and go walking more often, Mrs would probably appreciate it too
    The Woodhill forest is a good place to walk Nibblet.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Ejected
    Yeah I use to ride my dirt bike out there. Tried tackling a few deer on the odd occasion too. Rode my mountain bike in riverhead and me and a mate were doing well for a while there doing 4-5hr hikes through Riverhead too. Might have to pull finger and get back out there.
    Sure I will find some excuse not to...."Sex and the city re-runs!!! Count me in!!!"

If the Mrs runs out add The Sound of Music, Titanic, The Rambo series, Beaches (which I'm not allowed to watch with the Mrs again coz I laughed too much) .... and other chick flicks.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Rambo - the classic romantic chick flick.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Rambo - the classic romantic chick flick.
    Well chick's did draw first blood Dougie
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Tussock you are like my other half. No training, always cranks out a respectable half marathon time. Some days I dream of chopping his legs off from the knees.....
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Natural fitness gives an unpleasant sensation of dieing, or wanting to, when you walk up a hill.
    Using that criteria then Tussock, I am one of the most naturally fit people around.

If you did that Dougie, i wouldn't recommend going to the bathroom and closing the door in the early hours of the morning

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Some days I dream of chopping his legs off from the knees.....
    So you can see eye to eye?

I used to be the same. Hadn't been for a run or swim for over 10 years. My twin, who had been training for months, entered me in a mini tri and told me about it a week before the event. After getting some road tyres for the mountain bike and something I could wear to swim in, actually didn't even own a pair of shorts, I had time for one run and one swim. Rattled off a 10km run in just over half an hour and pulse returned to below 50 within 5 minutes. Biked to QEII jumped in the pool and promptly swam 2km (40 lengths); that surprised me as I'd never done over 200m before. On the day I did the 500m swim, 12km ride and 5km run with ease and beat my twin by 40 minutes.

After last weekend I can fully understand your comment on natural vs real fitness Tussock.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    On the day I did the 500m swim, 12km ride and 5km run with ease and beat my twin by 40 minutes.
    That would have really pissed him off GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    That would have really pissed him off GM.
    Just a little! The excuse list was as funny as hell.

He was determined to beat me at something. Don't know why he was bothering as he always crossed the finish line before me when rowing; I was the stroke so only the coxswain was behind me in the boat.