Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree33Likes
  • 12 Post By Bonecrusher
  • 2 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By Beaker
  • 2 Post By yeah_na_missed
  • 8 Post By Scouser
  • 1 Post By Snap 4T
  • 4 Post By Bonecrusher
  • 1 Post By erniec
  • 1 Post By Ranger 888

Thread: Mountaineering / Climbing

Mountaineering / Climbing

Just had one of my daughters climb MT Cook Anyone else on here challenged themselves climbing? I'm guessing a season on the Ice is next the worlds her oyster
    Brian, Tentman, Scouser and 9 others like this.

She did well! I was going to climb it back in 1994(?) but it was out of condition, climbed Malte Brun and Aguille Rouge instead.
    Scouser and Grantn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Just had one of my daughters climb MT Cook Anyone else on here challenged themselves climbing? I'm guessing a season on the Ice is next the worlds her oyster
    Well done!! Thats a special club to be in.

2 interesting {well for me....} bits that I can relate to - my old man has been to the ice 2 times in the early '70s before I was born (including being the first person inside Mt erebus, completed with a guy that has now topped Mt cook over 40 times) and that guy is happens to have the same first name as me.....

I've met a few people that have been down there, and everyone of them has great memories and recommends that you should go if you get the chance.
    Bonecrusher and Scouser like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Bloody awesome!! Anything above ground on rock was a challenge for me, let alone on ice!! Much respect.

If she is keen for a cool experience further south, she might want to look at these guys - https://ale.workbrightats.com/jobs/. They supported a friend of mine on the first all-female Antarctic crossing - the Ice Maidens. I almost applied for a general hand job with ALE, but didn't work out with timing. All about who you are and what you are capable of, not what you have done. Would def meet some cool people down there!

Happy to put her in touch with my friend if she wants any info.
    Scouser and Moa Hunter like this.
    bunji likes this.

Ive done a bit, got the bug in 1992 when on holiday in Africa and climbed Mt Kilimanjaro,

took a mountaineering course and tried to bag as many of the ‘Seven Summits’ as I could

climbed, Mt Denali (N America) Mt Elbrus (Europe) got to 21,800 my alt record on Mt Aconcagua (S America)

trekked to Everest base camp, climbed two ‘peaks’ when in Nepal

climbed an un-named Mt in Antarctica (not Vinson), climbed Mt Fuji in Japan (solo) and Mt Kosciuszko in Ozz

I was in the NZ Mountaineering club for 10 years but could not keep up the fitness required

Had heaps of arse puckering moments and helped with two crevasse rescues on Denali

I miss it big time…

tried twice to climb Mt Aspiring but the weather window closed, same for Mt Earnslaw.....
    stug, Beaker, trooper90 and 5 others like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I was mad about hiking in my 20's
    Climb several mounts but the highest mount I hiked was 3,000m alt (Mt Agung in Bali).
    the most memorable one was Mt Gede in Java, the only time I saw edelweiss in bloom in person
    there were forest and forest of them, probably all gone by now.

I don't know how I did it, I can't even do 1k walk these days.
    Scouser likes this.

This daughter would be hard for any male to keep up with! Paramedic Auckland Central > Degree Science Ecology Post Grad > DOC contract work Chathams, Codfish Island, Fiordland, I describe her as mix between Barry Crump & Sir David Attenborough
    She didn't tell us she was climbing Mt Cook until afterwards she is a doer not a talker has been building up her knowledge skills the last 18 months
    Scouser, Beaker, trooper90 and 1 others like this.

Awesome!

I discovered mountaineering / alpinism about a decade ago. I think it was a natural combination of tramping and sub alpine hunting. Self reliance, hard difficult ground and risking it for the biscuit. I tend to find comfort in discomfort. Cook is on the cards now I have recently returned back to the mainland fulltime.

Have mucked around Ruapehu. Ngauruhoe etc.
    Ran up and down Titiraupenga getting fit for rugby when a lot younger.
    Highest I have been is Irazu Volcano in Costa Rica 3,432 m but you can drive most of the way up.
    But even that height is a lesson in less oxygen.
    Micky Duck likes this.

One for the Jafas (the rest of you won't get it): a group of us tramped the Dusky Track in Fiordland (not a walk in the park!) and ended up later still in our smelly kit, at a restaurant in Te Anau, to celebrate our 10 day trek. Young waitress comes over, and asks: "Have youse guys been on an adventure?". One of our party looked her in the eye, and claimed: "Young lady, we have just conquered the South east face of Mount Wellington without oxygen or porters!" She says "Wow!" and goes back to the kitchen, all the kitchen and waitress staff come out for a gander at us, and we got a free round of drinks!
    XR500 likes this.

Well done to your daughter, but heights are not for me and I try to avoid them generally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    One for the Jafas (the rest of you won't get it): a group of us tramped the Dusky Track in Fiordland (not a walk in the park!) and ended up later still in our smelly kit, at a restaurant in Te Anau, to celebrate our 10 day trek. Young waitress comes over, and asks: "Have youse guys been on an adventure?". One of our party looked her in the eye, and claimed: "Young lady, we have just conquered the South east face of Mount Wellington without oxygen or porters!" She says "Wow!" and goes back to the kitchen, all the kitchen and waitress staff come out for a gander at us, and we got a free round of drinks!
    A Te Anau blonde?

Well done to your daughter. But that stuffs not for me. Angels Landing in Utah gave me the hebes.
    Tahr country scares me to the point I don't go there.
    My girls are guiding in Canada on Stones sheep now. They censor their stories to keep me calm, and it's a relief every time a inreach message comes through with good news.
    They are having a good season so far. Been tagging out within three or four days (two hunts each) so far. I've probably just jinxed them though.
    Overkill is still dead.