Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Acceptable group size at long range ?

The last 9 words of your reply 93 are the best , Dont be so hard on yourself . I know your not that bad !!!

R93
    [QUOTE=Greyghost;17572]The last 9 words of your reply 93 are the best , Dont be so hard on yourself . I know your not that bad !!![/QUOTE

At least I eat my veggies! What are you doing inside and on the puter? Has the boss gone soft? Did you end up with a salmon?

Kiwishooter
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Are you taking the piss? I wouldnt care what the wind is doing at 100yrds if thats as far as I am shooting, depending what I am trying to achieve of course but generally it wouldnt bother me.
    Terrain and temp and time of day will dictate direction and within a 100 yrds up hill or down hill it should be the same. Unless you are near a crest where a rotor effect can develop.
    You must be taking the piss coz I was dumb enough to try and answer it.
    No I'm not taking the piss, I thought the question was quite simple and I am trying to learn what the "experts" on here can teach me about reading wind while hunting........while target shooting I have wind indicators to read and give an indication of what the wind is doing between me and my target and what my projectile will do.
    While out hunting it's a different story so I was asking questions, by your answer it's obviious you'd rather poke fun and try and ridicule someone instead of contributing a sensible and valid answer...........or does the wind not alter or modify a projectiles path............Kiwi

I think what R93 was trying to say was sub say 200y any wind that a animal will be out in the open in, will not cause a miss or even a poor hit.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thats bloody good going HH very nice shooting. If anyone posts a witnessed .25 10 shot target I will send them a 1125ml of their choice as long as it is Glenfiddich
    I need a witness!!

Question if the clouds are travelling left to right what is the wind doing at ground level?

Eh? Due to a million different factors it can be doing anything at ground level. Simple meteorolgy.
    Dont know but I just farted and know what the wind just behind me is doing...
    R93 likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
    No I'm not taking the piss, I thought the question was quite simple and I am trying to learn what the "experts" on here can teach me about reading wind while hunting........while target shooting I have wind indicators to read and give an indication of what the wind is doing between me and my target and what my projectile will do.
    While out hunting it's a different story so I was asking questions, by your answer it's obviious you'd rather poke fun and try and ridicule someone instead of contributing a sensible and valid answer...........or does the wind not alter or modify a projectiles path............Kiwi
    Chill out! I thought you were poking fun and I believe I only ridiculed myself. You have posted photo's of groups you have shot at 100 and 200, I am sorry if I assumed you had a clue a what winds would be a concern at those ranges. You need a thicker skin if that offended you. I am also sure no one on this site considers themself an expert.
    In a hunting situation I dont care what the wind is doing at 100 yrds or even 200. If it windy enough to effect my pill at those ranges I wont even be hunting.

Just seen Vietnamcam's post, thanks Cam it is what I was trying to say.

I thought the question was a piss take too, if hunting I only look at the clouds to see what the weather is doing, look at grass/trees etc to get an indicator of what the wind is doing lower down. Pretty difficult to get it right for the entire flight path though. Norway showed us a few handy tricks that keep you on minute of shoulder pretty easily

Kiwishooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post

Leaves us with the options of shit stirrer or bullshitter.
    Guess it's pretty easy to get a whole lot of meaningles dribble, and actually I'm neither......want to come to the range for a shooting match? I'll set the wind flags and loan you an accurate rifle. You might be able to answer the question.

Actually I would have thought that some hunters on here would have an idea of how to read the wind in field conditions, and would be willing to educate.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
    Guess it's pretty easy to get a whole lot of meaningles dribble, and actually I'm neither......want to come to the range for a shooting match? I'll set the wind flags and loan you an accurate rifle. You might be able to answer the question.

Actually I would have thought that some hunters on here would have an idea of how to read the wind in field conditions, and would be willing to educate.
    Meaningless dribble? It reflects on the question does it not? It seems to me you know the answer to your own question and just want to impart your wisdom on us. Please do.
    We all have something we are good at KS. Your invite to Tussock is just another attempt IMHO to impose your own belief that you are better and know more about the subject. Drilling holes in paper is to me only important to see if my gear is ready for the bush. A 30 knot wind will only push the calibre I use for hunting 1' at 100. Hardly worth a mention.
    I would hazzard a guess Tussock would give you a run for your money at boring old BR and I would put money on him out further.

R93
    I hope the pine tree came in handy?

R93
    Missus and I burnt 12 cubic meters of firewood last year It was cold! (record in drafty old farmhouse was 29 degrees/0 outside).

Last Thar I shot was 550m away. I was using my 6.5x47Lapua. The wind was in my face (000) and I was shooting directly up a large valley. I could see from the tussock a gully that came into the main valley at 090 was discourging a strong wind 90 degrees (so full effect) accross my projectiles flight path. I could not measure that wind, but by comparing what the tussock next to me was doing relative to my Kestrel to what the tussock at the mouth of the valley was doing, and what I had seen tussock do before, I estimated it to be 3m/sec. Then I shagged around with the range finder a little more and measured the path of my projectile across that gully mouth to be 300m. The wind in my face was 2m/sec but the effective wind was 0, so I dialed wind for 300m @ 3m/sec.

Thar died, I ate him.
    How far from you was the opening to the gully at a 90deg right angle to you ?

Kiwishooter
    Tussock would give you a run for your money at boring old BR and I would put money on him out further.
    How much? and is Tussock willing?......200yds sounds good or do you want 300yds or more?....I'll put up $1k, are you willing to match it??

Despite all your posturing above, it was Tussock that did the name calling and since he thinks I'm a bullshitter I invited him to prove it

R93 I take it the 30knot wind moves your bullet 1inch at 100.......not the 1 foot as you put in your post........may I ask what caliber, projectile and velocity?

Chill out, back up, drop the egos. You're just misunderstanding each other.

COMMUNICATION, PEOPLE