Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: accurate rifles

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Thanks for the comments Mudgripz, I've just come back to this thread, I still have the rifle in the corner of the cabinet so might as well get a varity of ammo and see how she goes.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Your ammo has more to do with your rimfire accuracy than just about anything else .
    Unless the rifle has major problems , damaged crown , loose scope , bad chamber etc .
    Most people know that they should try a few different types of ammo to find what their rifle likes , but usually that is 2 or 3 different boxes and then when acceptable accuracy isn't achieved the rifle is declared useless and a general waste of time .
    I have about maybe 30 different types of .22 ammo in my cupboard and usually I can find something that the rifle likes . I've been asked a number of times to help get a 22 shooting right at my local club and ammo is the easiest thing to change and experiment with in an accuracy search .
    You can't make a average rifle great , but you can make a great rifle average with the wrong ammo .

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Hi guys I'm stil South Africa but hopefully I will be in your country early Feb. I have been following your posts. Regarding accurate rifles what is the group size you shoot let's say at 300m ?. What is your favourite caliber ?

Quote Originally Posted by Breyt View Post
    Hi guys I'm stil South Africa but hopefully I will be in your country early Feb. I have been following your posts. Regarding accurate rifles what is the group size you shoot let's say at 300m ?. What is your favourite caliber ?
    For me its as wee a group as possible, all thru the same hole is the preference but not there yet. Must practice more, must practice more.............
    Something like this would be good (at 200m)
    Name:  IMG_14254.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  35.2 KB
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

northdude
    nice shooting

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    nice shooting
    not mine I'm afraid
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

+1 Ground Control's comments above.

So often it takes just a little patience and 6-15 types of ammo (I keep maybe 20), and then you find what your 22 likes and it can be a very sharp shooter. Don't know how many times I've heard people comment on the poor accuracy of their 22 - a model that is normally sharp - only to find they are using crap or wrong ammos for it, don't bother to experiment, and just label it and the make/model a dud.

With a centrefire we experiment with loads - powder types/weights/projectiles etc to find an accurate round. In the same way with rimfires we experiment with different ammo makes to find a rifle's preferred round.

Is any of the bulk 22LR worth trying? my cmmg kit needs a hi velocity round to clear itself, and copper plated seems best, anything worth a go?
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

res
    Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Is any of the bulk 22LR worth trying? my cmmg kit needs a hi velocity round to clear itself, and copper plated seems best, anything worth a go?
    Maybe try cci blazer, cheep and solid nose for good feeding-made as a plinking round as I understand it and runs every semi I have tried it with.
    Did I mention that it's cheep? When buying by the case I couldn't find anything cheeper
    steven likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Highland hi vel is the best so far but that is about 2.5inch at 50yds.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Thanks Mikee I note you also use a 6.5 . I just love my Tikka Sporter 260 shoots a similar group at 300m

haha, those vids are terrible, but you are scraping the bottom of the barrel!

I would assume the avg. american is better than the avg. kiwi simply because of availability of rifles, ammo, pro gun culture (within reason) and proximity to range facilities means they simple can do more practice ...
    Manufactured Commercial Small Arms 2010 USA Vs. Commercial Small Arms 2010 Imported to NZ
    ... 1,800,000.00 / 8,000.00 = 0.44%