Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Another practical shooting test for Hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Yep, I help TLRS with their bigger competitions. To my knowledge they do not have access to a property big / suitable enough to run an event in the Competition Dynamics style - but TLRS and I have discussed it more than a couple of times. In my experience NZDA will not be interested - GPRE have run a hunter based heptathlon (hiking, observation, first aid, distance estimation, simple map navigation, shooting, flora/fauna ID) with a big prize table and after 5 years of running it we stopped because it simply wasn't supported. I ran a biathlon event with the Ruahine NZDA branch last year... Long Valley Station (Wellington) ran a hunter's biathlon style event a few years ago but i didn't hear about it last year. NZSRA has a skill set but their matches are fairly static...
    I think the key would b to start small and build up. Moderate levels of competitors. It would help to find out what works well and what should be changed, while needin less land initially. Id loe to do it, but it really does need some financial horsepower behind it. Just getting all of the steel targets and having sufficient RSO's wouldnt be easy.

The Ruahine event you are talking about with NZDA is the one I was thinking of, not wellington. I wanted to go but found out about it too late. Was it well attended? I broached the idea with auckland branch but didnt receive much enthusiasm.

This one in the US is like coast to coast with shooting.

"Anything other than round count with structured practice that leads to on demand performance under hunting conditions is mental and ballistic masturbation."

What a great quote. Something like this was always my intention with the incoming first centrefire rifle, but I had no structure or goal of what to acheive - just shoot through a couple hundred rounds until I felt confident enough to go out and know that if failure occurred it would be due to lack of hunting experience not lack of shooting experience.
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac