Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: assault rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    You're all fuckin wrong!! I am in salted

Attachment 35006
    it looks like a cat (Acat)
    Gibo likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    To me an assualt rifle is a semi/full automatic with a large capacity magazine firing reduced powered rifle cartridges compared to the 6 - 8mms of WW2 and issued to teams engaging in fast highly mobile warfare.

The fact that they are now standard issue and also used by sportsman doesnt negate the fact they were originally intended for "assualts" compared to static warfare and thats the niche they were designed to fill back in the 1940's and into the 1950's.

Its a common term, sometimes used incorrectly but Im sure people have better things to do in life than argue semantics.
    It's really not up to you what an assault rifle is, it's not a matter of an opinion in this case.

It's definition is quite literally:

An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.

Hitler came up with the name "(Storm) assault rifle" he gave to the STG 44 when he came around to the concept of a intermediate rifle round. Too little to late too have altered the course of WW2, little did he know that it changed the course of all future small arms development and battle engagements to this day.

Luckily for the allies, Hitler's incompetence and meddling hamstrung all facets of the German war effort. From focusing on the production of obsolete air craft, to defending important places with non existent units. The sturmgerwher had to be developed in secret because Adolf was repulsed by the idea and had a hard on for his Mausers. Was he the first fudd??

Hitler didn't want the new rifle made due to lack of materials at that late stage of the war. It was produced secretly then shown to Hitler once it was working. Got his approval when it was demonstrated to him. Probably wished he had it in 1940

Edit - WTF is up with this forum? I posted this after Stug and no other posts were showing
    Also the time clock is out by miles
    Tommy likes this.

I think the term assault/storm rifle as designated by Hitler and the nazis is propaganda hyperbole. Other german gun acronyms, ignoring the number, like MG42 and MP40 are named with two nouns. STG44 is the only example I can think of that is named with a verb and a noun. Even the most psychologically damaging weapon of the time, the flammen werfer, is two nouns.

Either way I find it funny how the anti gun lobby use nazi rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by tararua View Post
    I think the term assault/storm rifle as designated by Hitler and the nazis is propaganda hyperbole. Other german gun acronyms, ignoring the number, like MG42 and MP40 are named with two nouns. STG44 is the only example I can think of that is named with a verb and a noun. Even the most psychologically damaging weapon of the time, the flammen werfer, is two nouns.

Either way I find it funny how the anti gun lobby use nazi rhetoric.
    Not really that ironic, first thing Hitler did when he came to power was to severely restrict firearms ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Was used by US Para troop NCOs to supress and mark targets by splash.
    So caliber is irrelevant due to its role in the assault But who cares it is a term (assault rifle) that gets taken out of context by all and sundrie.
    Good snipers can suppress or halt movement for days with a bolt action. Are they deemed to be a DFSW element?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Actually the term sniper is generally misused by the military, and everyone else, too. The snipe is a very fast small bird and you had to be pretty quick on the shotgun to nail them. If you managed it you were termed a 'sniper'.

The English language is dynamic and changing.
    sako75 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    Not really that ironic, first thing Hitler did when he came to power was to severely restrict firearms ownership.
    A common misconception. If anything he did that opposite, unless one was Jewish.
    JRW87 likes this.

Speaking of "assault rifles" I'm interested in who here can tell me what the AR stands for in AR-15?? Before googling it have a guess and post it here.

Some say inventor Eugene Stoner meant it to stand for ARMALITE-15 the company that help develop the rifle, others say it means assault rifle-15 and a lot of Yanks think it stands for America's sweetheart: The American Rifle 15 lol

Thoughts?

It would have to be Armalite... rifle? Not sure what the 15 would denote.

an ar15 is a semi auto rifle unless its modded otherwise there for its not an assault rifle an m16 or in later years the m4 have a full auto setting and as far as im aware that's what defines an "assault rifle" the cops call there ar's m4's always laugh at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-CLsMRcA0

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    an ar15 is a semi auto rifle unless its modded otherwise there for its not an assault rifle an m16 or in later years the m4 have a full auto setting and as far as im aware that's what defines an "assault rifle" the cops call there ar's m4's always laugh at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-CLsMRcA0
    The AR-15 & AR-10 were select fire full auto's in development pre their military designated names M16 etc, and before they hit the sporting rifle market for civvies (semi-auto's) Colt bought the contract after Armalite fell through due to lack of mulah.

The original full auto rifles were called AR15's...

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    The original full auto rifles were called AR15's...
    ok I stand corrected im sure the full auto was the m4 and the semi was the ar both look pretty much the same sept one has the (fun switch)as the yanks call it