Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: B Cat Holder Wanted!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Kind of the opposite. Its a piece of metal with bits that go click and snack and you put things in it that go bang.

The idea they tell you some mytical secrets to how to deal with a small projectile launching machine, is essentially silly. Military and police are government departments. They are about as sophisticated and light on their feet as any other government department.

The only time I have done weapons training with police officers, they had come to the gym I was in to learn from the guy I was learning from. He was marine scientist, former block layer and general clever/hard bastard. Those cops spent enough time with their guns to see holes in their training and look for ways to fill them (not NZ).

Grappling with guns is actually quite fun. Adds a new/odd dimension.

I guarantee you, your average Kiwi cop is as good as anyone at all the things required to not shoot a gun.

I seriously doubt they know anything about handling one you could not learn from a dozen other sources.
    You missed my point,having expelled a bucket load of rounds thru a Sig myself I don't class myself as an expert at telling someone else how to shoot a pistol
    But yet people still feel they know everything regaurdless of many rounds they have shot.Who care's how much people know because in the real world doing is far more important.

I have never had anyone shooting at me and I hope I never do .
    I know a couple of people that have and they admit that when the lead started flying , finding something to hide behind and wishing they had been nicer to their wife and kids the last time they saw them , were the two most important things on their minds .
    Correct technique of how high your elbow is and where your left thumb is positioned come very low down on the priority list at that point in time, in their opinion .
    If you happen to stumble your way into the middle of a gun fight you probably stand a much greater chance of being hit as an innocent bystander , with all of the adrenalin pumping, people don't hit what they aim at very often in those events .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Banned
    I would find the old guy who who has ready every book and forum on the planet, and has been shooting pistols for 50 years. Or just read the books myself.

If you don't know anything, the doing is pretty irrelevant. Its called being a moron. The world is full of morons doing things. Morons do heaps of stuff. Some people who know nothing, have been doing things for years. Arguably, you really only get better at being ignorant.

A guy reads and studies and practices something for 50 years. What is the natural next step? Write a book. If you can read and remember the contents, you have the distilled version of his 50 years of experience. A far far better starting point for your own experience.

You can teach yourself anything if you can read well. I taught myself to ski from online manuals. I read manuals all night Friday, went out Saturday and everyone said I was a natural. I was not. Experts allowed me to skip a whole bunch of experience by handing me theirs. I did the same thing with waterskiing.
    I suggest you find the book on Cutting to the chase,you could just call me a mooron instead of waffling shit I wouldn't care.Ive learnt from doing so far in my life and its served me well, to think you cant do anything practicle without reading and understanding Is just arrogant bullshit.In the end this about Dougie having a go and it spirals into the usual game of 2 up witch dosnt have a book that im aware of.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    I suggest you find the book on Cutting to the chase,you could just call me a mooron instead of waffling shit I wouldn't care.Ive learnt from doing so far in my life and its served me well, to think you cant do anything practicle without reading and understanding Is just arrogant bullshit.In the end this about Dougie having a go and it spirals into the usual game of 2 up witch dosnt have a book that im aware of.
    I just want the book that will serve me better than any type of formal training, police or otherwise, that is now it seems, a waste of time.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I just want the book that will serve me better than any type of formal training, police or otherwise, that is now it seems, a waste of time.
    I might go to the library tonight and get a book out on flying choppers R93. Watch your back mate I could have your job on Monday. In fact fuck it I will have a good dream tonight and take it tomorrow. How hard can it be?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I might go to the library tonight and get a book out on flying choppers R93. Watch your back mate I could have your job on Monday. In fact fuck it I will have a good dream tonight and take it tomorrow. How hard can it be?
    If I can do it..............It would have to be pretty friggin easy Rushy.
    My flight instructors got sick of wiping my mouth with my bib to stop me dribbling into essential avionics I was also a handful when my sippy cup got empty

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    If I can do it..............It would have to be pretty friggin easy Rushy.
    My flight instructors got sick of wiping my mouth with my bib to stop me dribbling into essential avionics I was also a handful when my sippy cup got empty
    Well I haven't read the book yet (nor had the dream) but hell two seconds of thought and I reckon up, down, forward, backward, left and right will have it mostly covered. Ha ha Ha Ha. Now that I am on a roll I will read a book on Brian Barrett Boys and do open heart surgery on Monday instead. Your job is safe now. On to loftier things.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

R93
    Anything to get a bigger sippy cup than mine eh?

Mine is a Tommy Tippee so I don't spill my juice. But I have got them all fucked because I just drop it over the side of my high chair and the top comes off.
    R93, Toby, kiwi39 and 1 others like this.

R93
    LMFAO!!!!! Tears in my eyes!

If you really want to learn something and be good at it you will.
    By any avenues you can.
    Reading and instruction and practice is where everyone at the top of the game started.

If you are so committed to being the best or even just good at something you will read all you can on the subject. Filter the crap and digest the rest.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

In my other profession it was part of my job to train.
    I tried to train people to think logically and laterally at the same time.
    Where others would say you do it like this, i would say you could do it3 or4 different ways and explain the benefits and downfalls of each method verbally,with diagrams, and practically.

Invariably my trainees at the end of a trip would thank me and say they learnt more this trip than in their last 3 with someone else.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

You tripped on a training nugget of gold VC. We all learn best by a blend of seeing, hearing and doing.

R93
    Formal training means its all written down somewhere. In other words, its directly from a book.
    I was just a dumb grunt. Your semantics are confusing me

Personally I never got good at welding reading. I spent a hour each day at school for a solid 6months before it got good.
    VIVA LA HOWA