Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Ballistic apps

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    So whats real world difference? IE if you run numbers against other apps what is the margin of error shown?

Haters gunna hate
    .1of a mil at 300m is nothing, at 2k it is 200mm which is a miss at a target if aiming centre mass.
    That is what the big kids are doing in the us of a.
    1st round hits at 2k on deer
    The ab app is the best there is as far as apps go so I reckon $40 is cheap when you spend massive money on rifles and optics.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Some of you guys invest far to much emotion into inanimate objects.

Ill rephrase the question.
    If i use the same inputs for example 338 norma with 300gr berger at 2710fps at 900yds, in balistc AE and again AB, what would sort of error would you expect to see from Balistic AE? What would the outputs show? Any idea?
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Some of you guys invest far to much emotion into inanimate objects.

Ill rephrase the question.
    If i use the same inputs for example 338 norma with 300gr berger at 2710fps at 900yds, in balistc AE and again AB, what would sort of error would you expect to see from Balistic AE? What would the outputs show? Any idea?
    It's not the diference in solutions its which one is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post

The custom drag curve is the point of difference.

AB costs more...if you are running a decent rifle / scope, then that’s probably about 5k invested, plus accessories right?

For an extra $25 spent on your ballistic app you can have a more advanced method of calculating trajectory...

No longer comparing a myriad of projectiles to a couple of standard projectiles, G3, G7 etc...

They calculate the drag curves from experience data on their own Doppler radar.

Absolutely the only reason for the app is to get a solution, so the solution coming from the model will naturally better if it uses a modern calculation method (there wouldnt be a reason to offer custom drag curves if they weren’t a better approximation of the projectiles behaviour).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But in order for one to be correct and one to incorrect there has to be a difference. If they all have the same output then its smoke and mirrors. All Im asking is what size differences have you seen, what is the size of the error that Aplied Balsistc is correcting that other apps arnt? If you haven't done any side by side comparisons that cool.
    I couldn't care less about $40 but I do care about the time taken for my old brain to learn its way around an new app and also having a different app from shooting mate but if there is some genuine real world advantage then Ill jump.
    TOF alone is enough to stop me ever trying to shoot deer at 2000yds let alone the other varibles .

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I will be able to tell you after tomorrow mornings shooting
    Youve got a perfect morning for it.

R93
    TOF alone is enough to stop me ever trying to shoot deer at 2000yds let alone the other varibles .
    Yeah I can't believe people have such a disregard for animals to even attempt this.
    Ringing a bit of steel at this sort of range is all anyone needs to stroke their ego.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Youve got a perfect morning for it.
    Could not feel my fingers and still can't. Jury still out on which is better but my validated Strelok Pro drop @15.4MOA was 1.4MOA more than what AB predicted with no validation at all using the custom drag curve for 123 ELD M. More work required. Strelok is the more user friendly of the 2 so far.

Oh and for shooting live game I set my max range at 500m but in reality I always try and get as close as humanly possible to allow for any whoopsie that may occur when Mr Murphy shows up
    sneeze likes this.

But in order for one to be correct and one to incorrect there has to be a difference. If they all have the same output then its smoke and mirrors. All Im asking is what size differences have you seen, what is the size of the error that Aplied Balsistc is correcting that other apps arnt? If you haven't done any side by side comparisons that cool.
    I couldn't care less about $40 but I do care about the time taken for my old brain to learn its way around an new app and also having a different app from shooting mate but if there is some genuine real world advantage then Ill jump.
    To be fair I have had every decent ballistic app that's been released.
    When AB came out I down loaded it and have never used or compared anything else since as it has been created buy somebody (Bryan Litz) that is at the top of the game.
    I have now corrupted alot of people into the black art of LR and insist on AB for the very reason of been on the same stage.
    My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Yeah I can't believe people have such a disregard for animals to even attempt this.
    Ringing a bit of steel at this sort of range is all anyone needs to stroke their ego.

Jesus Dave, perhaps you should PM me and find out who it is that can shoot way above us mortals.
    He dont need any ego stroking

R93
    Jesus Dave, perhaps you should PM me and find out who it is that can shoot way above us mortals.
    He dont need any ego stroking

Then why even attempt a shot on an animal at that distance if not wanting something stroked?
    It has absolutely nothing to do with how good the shooter is mate. Has everything to do with the animal and its welfare, at least that is what a genuine hunter should consider.... No?

Show me a shooter that can control what an animal does after the trigger breaks and I might be convinced.
    I am sure you are well aware that an animal can move plenty during lock and flight time Especially at those distances.

Just coz you can, doesn't always mean you should.

ishoot10s and chainsaw like this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Concur. And sadly I recently watched someone’s (NZ) poo toob video of �� best shots or some crap and a claimed “head shot” was actually a jaw getting blown off at 800m or something. Some guys ethics have gone by the wayside...
    Last edited by ishoot10s; 30-06-2019 at 10:46 PM.
    R93 likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Then why even attempt a shot on an animal at that distance if not wanting something stroked?
    It has absolutely nothing to do with how good the shooter is mate. Has everything to do with the animal and its welfare, at least that is what a genuine hunter should consider.... No?

Show me a shooter that can control what an animal does after the trigger breaks and I might be convinced.
    I am sure you are well aware that an animal can move plenty during lock and flight time Especially at those distances.

Just coz you can, doesn't always mean you should.

At the end of the day 100m is to far for some people to connect to an animal.
    This guy is quite comfortable taking shorts at live animals at these distances in the situation hes shooting in.
    He is regularly shooting to over 3k in what hes doing so horses for courses.
    Ethical shooting is subjective to each individual and shouldn't be judged on what you and I are capable of.

BRADS likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    Concur. And sadly I recently watched someone’s (NZ) poo toob video of �� best shots or some crap and a head shot was actually a jaw getting blown off at 800m or something. Some guys ethics have gone by the wayside...
    This LR fad has got out of hand imo.
    It has no place in hunting for the simple reason not everyone is capable but everyone trys it because they see it on YouTube or whatever.

I love LR shooting. I have been shooting LR in a field environment since the 80s well before rangefinders, ballistic programs and YouTube.
    We used compasses, maps and maffs to work things out. Paper and steel still show a hit.

It might be just my opinion but I don't think animals should be a test of skill or a bragging right around the campfire.

sneeze and chainsaw like this.

R93
    At the end of the day 100m is to far for some people to connect to an animal.
    This guy is quite comfortable taking shorts at live animals at these distances in the situation hes shooting in.
    He is regularly shooting to over 3k in what hes doing so horses for courses.
    Ethical shooting is subjective to each individual and shouldn't be judged on what you and I are capable of.

I am judging the animal not the shooter. I couldn't give a shit if he can shoot 5 km accurately.
    No one can control a target that can move at any time. If he has never ever missed a target then I apologise.

By the way. I have hit a fig 11 target in the neck area at 4300 yrds with 7.62 ball ammo, first try.
    Work that one out

Last edited by R93; 30-06-2019 at 11:09 PM.