Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Best 270 for the money

Best 270 for the money

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and and would appreciate some advice please?
    I'm looking at buying my first hunting rifle and have decided on the 270 as a good all-rounder.
    Any ideas on best value for money options? Thanks in advance.

Can’t go past a Tikka T3x , good weight , accurate, rifles. Plenty usually show up on the for sale on trade me and a few here.
    BSA270 and caberslash like this.

Caretaker
    Tikka T3 for sure

Leupold scope

Norma brass, Loaded up with 140g Nosler ballistic tip projectiles
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Yes the Tikka T3 looks like a great rifle. New just a bit pricey for me at this stage. Maybe second hand if the right deal comes along

I've read some good reviews on Howa rifles. Does anyone have a Howa 270? Quality, reliability, accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
    I've read some good reviews on Howa rifles. Does anyone have a Howa 270? Quality, reliability, accuracy?
    Wait for a Tikka, Howa's are better as short actions.
    7mmsaum and Mooseman like this.

That's interesting. Are you referring to the Howa mini action rifles? To my knowledge they only come in 6.5 and 7.65 options?
    Will keep my eyes open for a Tikka
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
    That's interesting. Are you referring to the Howa mini action rifles? To my knowledge they only come in 6.5 and 7.65 options?
    Will keep my eyes open for a Tikka
    No.

Howa do a Mini, Short Action and Long Action.

The Howa is actually an older design but done quite well. Some positive features of both Remington 700's and Sako L/A series. M16 extractor and integral recoil lug are nice.

Downside is that they are bloody heavy for what they are, but very cheap and accurate. I have a Howa Alpine in 243 ehich is still heavy despite the lightened action, pencil barrel and fiberglass stock.

Tikka T3/T3x was made around 'long action' rounds, i.e 30-06, 280, 270, 25-06 etc. They use the same action for all the different chamberings offered (down to .222) with modified magazines and bolt face/stops to compensate.

The Tikka has a huge aftermarket for it now, you can spend stupid money buying different stocks, triggers, even prefit barrels for it.

You won't go wrong with a Tikka T3. Take it from someone who uses one for work. Even secondhand will be fine so long as usual precautions are taken when buying.

Things that wear out are the plastic magazines (feed lips). So make sure you have at least one spare.

In the budget category, Marlin X7 has a relatively stiff plastic stock compared to Ruger American and Savage Axis. Handles and balances very well. Shoots no less accurate than Tikka in practical terms. The blind magazine can be a pain if you need to load a lot of rounds, such as when culling goats or wallabies. But since you are going for a 270, assuming you are after bigger game, I don't see the blind magazine being a disadvantage.

For a middle of the road rifle, Bergara B14 would be my pick. The stock is considerably better quality than the Howa Hogue. It's at least as good, if not better, than the Tikka factory stock. It has Remington 700 footprint, making it easy to obtain aftermarket parts. Action is tight and super smooth. Consistently sub-moa. I consider a factory Bergara to be an upgrade in quality from a factory Howa. It's no lesser quality than a Tikka and is cheaper.

@VictorB just buy a decent second hand 270
    They should be pretty common and most will still be in decent condition if you look carefully and get some advice from an experienced gun guy
    There will be dozens in the back of forum members gun safes just taking up space that haven't been hunting in a decade or two

But good second hand and spend what you save on a better scope you can put on your next better rifle
    Or better binoculars
    tetawa, erniec, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    In the budget category, Marlin X7 has a relatively stiff plastic stock compared to Ruger American and Savage Axis. Handles and balances very well. Shoots no less accurate than Tikka in practical terms. The blind magazine can be a pain if you need to load a lot of rounds, such as when culling goats or wallabies. But since you are going for a 270, assuming you are after bigger game, I don't see the blind magazine being a disadvantage.

For a middle of the road rifle, Bergara B14 would be my pick. The stock is considerably better quality than the Howa Hogue. It's at least as good, if not better, than the Tikka factory stock. It has Remington 700 footprint, making it easy to obtain aftermarket parts. Action is tight and super smooth. Consistently sub-moa. I consider a factory Bergara to be an upgrade in quality from a factory Howa. It's no lesser quality than a Tikka and is cheaper.
    Thanks for the feedback on the Marlin X7. Great to hear. As I'm currently looking in the budget category it might just be the first rifle for me.
    I was looking at the Bergara B14 myself, but currently above what I can afford. Sounds like great value for money. Maybe sometime in the future

Banned
    Best value for the money would be a Sako Finnbear, these are better than anything else at the same price. $1500
    Best underpriced but really good 270 - Weatherby Vanguard $700

I am not a T3 fan at their price point, they need a trigger spring, and a new stock or they kick like bastards in 270 and are hard to hold with a skimpy pistol grip, and are hard to load and unload quietly and hard to check they are 'clear'. Most shoot well but are they good value for the money?

A second hand rifle that someone has already sorted would be what I would look at. Whatever is chosen test fire it and make sure it groups first

I own two Marlin xl7s. 30.06 & 223. The 30.06 is good for 4 shot 24mm groups @ 100mtrs. The 223 ladt week shot a 12.8mm 4 shot group at 100 Mtrs. Both with reloads.
    Both weigh in at 8lb 1oz with 3-9×40 scope & sling.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Micky Duck and Synthetic like this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

in my opinion howas are better than tikkas IF you can handle the weight and dont mind the stock. ive got a model 70 classic stainless i picked up second hand that i absolutely love. Id just keep an eye out for something second hand to pop up
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

std bergara b14 be worth a look aswell