Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Best 270 for the money

Quote Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
    I've read some good reviews on Howa rifles. Does anyone have a Howa 270? Quality, reliability, accuracy?
    it has all three in spades...LOVE mine....... addition of a walnut stock (they are around) has made it a thing of beauty as well as function.
    that said...the savage in forsale section here is very good buying....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    There is or was a Marlin 270 in the for sale section at a great price that I would buy in an instant
    If, I wanted a 270
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

There is a brand new Bergara B14. 270 for $899 in hunting and fishing palmerston-north yesterday. It was on special so may still be available.......please buy it before I do something silly and grab it. My wife would make me homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    There is a brand new Bergara B14. 270 for $899 in hunting and fishing palmerston-north yesterday. It was on special so may still be available.......please buy it before I do something silly and grab it. My wife would make me homeless.
    That is a crazy good deal because they are usually $1400.
    dannyb likes this.

"The Howa is actually an older design but done quite well. Some positive features of both Remington 700's and Sako L/A series. M16 extractor and integral recoil lug are nice."
    @caberslash interesting. One of the bugbears of Remington 700s on dangerous game is the lack of controlled feed and apparently, on my 416, they can occasionally break ejectors.
    One of the more costly fixes if you are dead set on such a combo is to put an M16/sako type extractor on them.
    Sounds like this is done already

Define your budget. If you want "the best"TM, then you might have to stretch it.

I'd also say to be prepared to go for other cartridges, if the right deal pops up. 270 is indeed a pretty capable all-rounder, but it's not the only one... 308, 7mm08, 260, 280, 30-06, 6.5 Mememoor... they all accomplish very similar things.

The rifle will be of the same quality and reliability regardless of the cartridge. They're all made in the same factories, to the same tolerances, and undergo the same QC whether it's a 223, 243 or a 270. E.g. if you are reading a review for a particular model of rifle and everything about it looks sweet, then there's no reason hesitate because the reviewer's happened to be in 30-06 and not specifically in 270. It'd be the same rifle just with a different barrel.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    There is or was a Marlin 270 in the for sale section at a great price that I would buy in an instant
    If, I wanted a 270
    Thank you all for your contributions.
    I'm going to buy this Marlin 270. Will let you know how she goes!
    NRT, Husky1600, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    That is a crazy good deal because they are usually $1400.
    They also had some of the budget Remington rifles in various centerfire calibers for $599.
    I haven't fired one but I suspect that in a few years you would want to upgrade but they would be OK for someone starting out and certainly better than a burnt-out. 303 that seem to retail for not much less.

Browning A-Bolt. Winchester XPR. My choice would be the XPR. Both are accurate,reliable and of better quality than their prices indicate. Like Howa only better
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Mauser M18 is worth a look too. A lot of rifle for the money.