Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: In-between barrel cleaning

What sort of issues arise from over cleaning? I normally solvent and then oil. Is it better to solvent occasionally and just oil the barrel. It's a blued barrel if that helps.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    The old POI worry mainly comes from older badly made rifles and points to mechnical problems. Have tested with chrony clean and fouled velocities to be within 50-75fps, this equates to .5 moa spread. So in a modern hunting rifle at normal hunting distances it doesn't matter a toss how you want to clean or not
    Excellent

Personally not been much of a cleaner unless needed, if it were wet id dry it an oil it others wise bang bang a few hundy before a proper clean

A12yr-old asked me recently, which vehicle I would take, if I had a Ford and a Holden (std cars)..I replied.. the one with the most gas...

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    What sort of issues arise from over cleaning? I normally solvent and then oil. Is it better to solvent occasionally and just oil the barrel. It's a blued barrel if that helps.

Barrel damage and throat/muzzle wear are the things most of us cannot see and cannot quantify including myself but if it is good enough for top ranking bench resters to not clean it is good enough for me.
    As said previously any blued centerfire barrel I own will at the very least be wet patched with oil before safe.
    S/S hunting rifle if used in dry conditions back in the safe untouched, if wet oiled but then shot again as soon as possible.
    Some barrels just dont like being clean and you can end up endlessly chasing your tail until you figure out the love of your life only really performs when she is a dirty girl.
    BRADS, Gibo, Sasquatch and 2 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Barrel damage and throat/muzzle wear are the things most of us cannot see and cannot quantify including myself but if it is good enough for top ranking bench resters to not clean it is good enough for me.
    As said previously any blued centerfire barrel I own will at the very least be wet patched with oil before safe.
    S/S hunting rifle if used in dry conditions back in the safe untouched, if wet oiled but then shot again as soon as possible.
    Some barrels just dont like being clean and you can end up endlessly chasing your tail until you figure out the love of your life only really performs when she is a dirty girl.
    Ah. Makes sense. I will give it a go and see how I go..

I don't really understand the need for obsessive cleaning, I mean if you have a humidity problem then yeah sure, re-oil. But personally I would try figure out the humidity problem first? It may be as simple as putting a cup of rice in your safe.

Ask yourself this though, alot of safes are installed in garages so the tools you keep in there, are they rusting? Because mine haven't yet.
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I don't really understand the need for obsessive cleaning, I mean if you have a humidity problem then yeah sure, re-oil. But personally I would try figure out the humidity problem first? It may be as simple as putting a cup of rice in your safe.

Ask yourself this though, alot of safes are installed in garages so the tools you keep in there, are they rusting? Because mine haven't yet.
    I use a glass rechargeable dehumidifier which works out ok. Haven't had a rust issue since

Sasquatch likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Now you're just confusing me!
    Surely if she likes being a dirty girl that means I should be stroking my (cleaning) rod in and out repeatedly as often as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Now you're just confusing me!
    Surely if she likes being a dirty girl that means I should be stroking my (cleaning) rod in and out repeatedly as often as possible!
    Nah mate, too big. She likes the short little ones that go real fast

Dont clean them as often as some here, every few hundred rounds, but they are stored properly. Seen a lot of nice clean barrels on rifles, but the moment you take them out of the stock you see that perhaps a little attention was missing.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Mine likes it dirty. 150 rounds and still haven't removed copper. Ballistol on a mop and then patched out to remove carbon. Then light oil to go in safe.