Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Deer overlay drop charts

Deer overlay drop charts

Interested to get people's thoughts on these two scale charts I did up today.

Like alot of people I don't have a scope with a ballistic turret that can adjusted for different range shots, and I don't have the money to buy one either. So I've been thinking of a way to more reliably allow for bullet drop when the ground doesn't allow me to get in close to a range there's not enough drop to worry about.

This idea comes from my days of Army marksman shooting, where we used scale drawings with our aim-off aim points for different ranges marked on the drawings.

Has anyone else tried something like this, was it successful?

Note: I have not used, tested, or validated these charts in anyway! Use at your own risk. I've used the DOC average shoulder height for Red Deer hinds (1m) and stags (1.2m) to base scale and 'ruler' measurements off. Aim points are a bit low, I need to fix them.

Name:  Hind drop table - Copy.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  430.3 KBName:  Stag drop table.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  801.2 KB
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I use the same methodology for rabbits. A rabbit hunkered down flat is 4" from ground to top of shoulder, a rabbit laying at rest is 6", a .22LR sighted at 23m will be zero again around 70m and 10-12" low at 100m (dependent on ammo used). Therefore, at 100m you are holding two rabbit bodies high.

To make your picture even simpler, test and establish your trajectory, then overlay your holdover points based on range.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-09-26 061045.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  126.2 KB

Going back too when I started. There wasn't dial uo scopes or range finders about. Think you're over complicating things. Graham Henry's rule of 3 for flat shooting guns , like 270 etc worked well. 3inches high at 100yds puts you about 3 inches low at 300. So center of chest to 300 and level with top of back at 400. Don't show day light though.
    Although I'd say this is all pointless unless you have a range finder to know accurately the distance in the first place.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by r87mm View Post
    Going back too when I started. There wasn't dial uo scopes or range finders about. Think you're over complicating things. Graham Henry's rule of 3 for flat shooting guns , like 270 etc worked well. 3inches high at 100yds puts you about 3 inches low at 300. So center of chest to 300 and level with top of back at 400. Don't show day light though.
    Although I'd say this is all pointless unless you have a range finder to know accurately the distance in the first place.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk
    Aye and if there is time to range there is time to dial (can do it without having to look at the turret with practise).

What I do when hunting the same area is range a few deer 'hotspots' from various shooting points so you already know the range when you next see a deer there.
    Moa Hunter, Ned and Average-Lad like this.

Since I found guessing the animal size difficult I took a different approach with my duplex reticle:
    I worked out the sub-tensions on different powers.
    At 8x with a 210m zero the top of the lower post was 350m. I could then divide the opening by eye for 210-350m.
    Once I'm at the top of the lower post I zoom out. 7x is 365m, 6x is 390m, 5x is 420m.

I also had the opening sizes noted to make windage adjustments.

This allows you to make adjustments regardless of target size and shape.

Greetings,
    This is the target used by NZDA for one of the postal shoots which may be useful
    Name:  Image (7).jpg
Views: 420
Size:  327.0 KB
    GPM
    caberslash and Average-Lad like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    This is the target used by NZDA for one of the postal shoots which may be useful
    Attachment 206659
    GPM
    Interesting choice of 'X' location, I'd say it's probably the best aiming point if using MPBR.

Personally aim either one square higher or one up and left of the NZDA 'X'

Still much better than what is taught in the UK which is one square low and one sqaure right of the NZDA 'X' (approximately).

Took my first deer (red stag) with that shot and got very lucky it was quartering away slightly and it hit where I aimed...
    Moa Hunter and Sideshow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Interesting choice of 'X' location, I'd say it's probably the best aiming point if using MPBR.

Personally aim either one square higher or one up and left of the NZDA 'X'

Still much better than what is taught in the UK which is one square low and one sqaure right of the NZDA 'X' (approximately).

Took my first deer (red stag) with that shot and got very lucky it was quartering away slightly and it hit where I aimed...
    Greetings,
    The aiming point is not marked on the actual targets so the shooter can see it but a clear template is used for scoring. The X location has moved around the target with different versions over the years with one half a square loe and half a square right of that currently shown. Knowing where to aim at different ranges is not a whole lot of help if you don't know what the range is and for thoe who don't dial and seldom shoot past 300 metres, if that far, working out a range estimaing system using the scopes reticle could help. This is much more difficult with a SFP variable though.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Average-Lad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    I use the same methodology for rabbits. A rabbit hunkered down flat is 4" from ground to top of shoulder, a rabbit laying at rest is 6", a .22LR sighted at 23m will be zero again around 70m and 10-12" low at 100m (dependent on ammo used). Therefore, at 100m you are holding two rabbit bodies high.

To make your picture even simpler, test and establish your trajectory, then overlay your holdover points based on range.

Attachment 206645
    Yeah, definitely plan on refining this into a specific chart for my gun and ammo, but the idea is this could be used for any bullet, together with a range finder and ballistic app.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Greetings,
    Attachment 206659
    GPM
    Super useful thanks!

Inside 300yds, just point at centre of sholder,scope dailed 2.5 moa.Bang flop,no maths or charts required.Very colourfully charts tho for sizes of deer.
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

Banned
    Greetings,
    The aiming point is not marked on the actual targets so the shooter can see it but a clear template is used for scoring. The X location has moved around the target with different versions over the years with one half a square loe and half a square right of that currently shown. Knowing where to aim at different ranges is not a whole lot of help if you don't know what the range is and for thoe who don't dial and seldom shoot past 300 metres, if that far, working out a range estimaing system using the scopes reticle could help. This is much more difficult with a SFP variable though.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    The concept is excellent, it's just a shame that 'Wilkinson' was only seven years old and had not actually seen a deer before drawing the target. What happened to the missing four thoracic vertebrae ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    The concept is excellent, it's just a shame that 'Wilkinson' was only seven years old and had not actually seen a deer before drawing the target. What happened to the missing four thoracic vertebrae ?
    There seem to be some missing in the neck as well. Probably due to squashing a deer onto a relatively small target. Does look plump and tasty though. Pity it is only 3mm thick.
    GPM.

Banned
    There seem to be some missing in the neck as well. Probably due to squashing a deer onto a relatively small target. Does look plump and tasty though. Pity it is only 3mm thick.
    GPM.
    Target isnt even square - 900 x 1000 WTF Wilkinson ???

Its a disney deer, very cute.

Some apps like Strelok have an option to display the points of impact on a deer or other animal target.