Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Film: Accuracy test

Figure 12 generally. The 5 ring roughly represents the size of the vital zone on a deer https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=go...tm%3B420%3B525

Actually that target is different, doesn't have a V bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Norway

Can I ask if those shots you filmed were the first shots out of that rifle that day ?
    Were they from a fouled barrel or from a squeaky clean one ?
    Actually the rifle was unusually clean this time, usually I just keep it "clean enough", but I tried a new solvent/ copper remover that was a tad more effective than I'm used to. After the the "sit time" I'm used to with the borefoam, it was downright shiny using this solvent.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    No matter how good a hunting rifle is I can't see how it can make a steel plate taste better than a deer.
    True, but I'm all for clean kills and making use of my opportunities to shoot deer. Hunting time is my most valuable and difficult to get time, so I'll not have it hampered by poor preparations. Where I hunt, I need on an average two deer a day for the foresters to stay happy with me and I'm not able to do that without range time.

Depending on how far your shooting. Statistically a .5moa .308 usingna 175gr smk at 2600 fps will hit a 10" target 92% of the time at 700. A 1moa rifle 83% 1.5moa 67%. This is in a high confidence situation.
    Thanks Bryan Litz.
    Thats the required precision part taken care of. Now its down to the shooters ability to prdocue those results in different settings and read environmental factos to increase confidence in situations they are faced with.

On reading this book.it highlights just how diminishing the gains in adding velocity are in real world shooting (another debate)
    LegaSea and kimjon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    True, but I'm all for clean kills and making use of my opportunities to shoot deer. Hunting time is my most valuable and difficult to get time, so I'll not have it hampered by poor preparations. Where I hunt, I need on an average two deer a day for the foresters to stay happy with me and I'm not able to do that without range time.
    So what calibre and projectile are you now using for Deer ?

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    No matter how good a hunting rifle is I can't see how it can make a steel plate taste better than a deer.

If shooting isn't your thing, perhaps the shooting section isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    So what calibre and projectile are you now using for Deer ?

Ken
    I started with a 308 but havent used that for 18 yrs. The 6,5 mm works superb for the small deer I shoot.
    I'vd tried 6mm, but dont like the lesser blood trail if I need to track it.
    I'd like to try 7-08, 280 or 7mmRM but its kinda daft to pay 2x bullet price over 6, 5mm here. A magnum really makes a difference in terminal perfofmance at range, but it also less forgiving to errors in the shooting positions. For hunting the shooting position is often flawed, so I stay away from recoil and seems to stay away from poorly shot zeer.

I bought 1000 new 6.5x284 brass as I can get good 6.5x55 performance in a short barrel. This is what i use for hunting.
    I also have 600 rds ox 6XC I'm keen to try, but curfently I have no barrel chambered.

I started with a 308 but havent used that for 18 yrs. The 6,5 mm works superb for the small deer I shoot.
    I'vd tried 6mm, but dont like the lesser blood trail if I need to track it.
    I'd like to try 7-08, 280 or 7mmRM but its kinda daft to pay 2x bullet price over 6, 5mm here. A magnum really makes a difference in terminal perfofmance at range, but it also less forgiving to errors in the shooting positions. For hunting the shooting position is often flawed, so I stay away from recoil and seems to stay away from poorly shot zeer.

I bought 1000 new 6.5x284 brass as I can get good 6.5x55 performance in a short barrel. This is what i use for hunting.
    I also have 600 rds ox 6XC I'm keen to try, but curfently I have no barrel chambered.
    How many rounds do you expect the 6.5 x 284 barrel will be good for , and how short is it ?

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

20" and I have honestly lost count. It is right around 2000 now, and judging from friends experience they die somewhere 2500-3000 shots. By "die" I mean precision over 3/4 MOA.

Hi Norway, what make is your barrel? That sounds like you're getting very good barrel life from it, as I know guys here in NZ who only got half that amount of shots before they had to step it back, then they only got another 400-600 out of it and it was toast.

kj

Blaser.
    And I dont run hot loads.

Let me guess: Button rifled barrels?
    From what Im told, hard to beat hammer forged for longevity.
    tui_man2 likes this.

Let me guess: Button rifled barrels?
    From what Im told, hard to beat hammer forged for longevity.
    Yes.