Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Foggy glasses or piss poor eyes

Foggy glasses or piss poor eyes

After missing a chance at another stag this morning Ive got to ask what people with failing eyesight use. I need glasses to see at distance ( from 10 ft on) or else things are a bit blurry. I need them to properly identify my target.
    In the past Ive managed to shoot a few by dropping the glasses off ( on string around neck thing) on seeing a deer ,then shooting. The last two have been too quick for me and Ive shot and missed while still wearing glasses. ( I ll blame them , lol)
    Questions are : do those of you with piss poor eyes at distance adjust your scope and sight in wearing them or what??
    They’re really starting to F.. me off especially after this mornings effort.When you creating abit of steam/ glasses getting dirty from sweat etc when you finally sneak in close , lift the gun and cant see shite you can see what I mean
    Mostly hunting from 30-200 meters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    JessicaChen likes this.

I have this issue also, pain in the arse if you've got a hot face and trying to use binos too, you can buy anti fog spray used on motorcycle helmet visors, I use this on my glasses it helps a lot but wouldn't use it on my binos cause I don't know if it would damage the coating....
    My scope diopter is adjusted for use with glasses on, my binos I adjust for using without glasses as I ust can't get the eye relief right to use my binos with glasses on....
    JessicaChen, 57jl, quentin and 2 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

I have same issues as you. I set my rifle scope to work with my glasses on or contact lenses in.
    Lately I have taken to wearing contact lenses I use for clay bird shooting (slightly over corrected for better distance vision) and carry cheap reading glasses for the up close stuff
    Micky Duck and CamD like this.

You could try a 'side focus' scope. Very common with target shooters.
    I had a Leupold 45x, now a Big Nikko...both are side focus.
    Quick to do for focussing on a target at different ranges.
    'Field Target' guys would do it all the time (even the rimfire and air rifle guys).
    Might help you with not having to wear glasses.
    I shoot indoors benchrest and use a side focus scope as I too suffer from fading eyesight (I blame all this 'daylight saving ' stuff. It's wearing out our eyes quicker).
    For a snap shot in the bush? Maybe not so good, but set your focus to match your surroundings and you may be surprised at what you can see clearly.
    Bagheera and Dusty Fog like this.

my optomitrist n I discussed this last time I visited....yeah nah mate we will get you some contacts when time comes...was his answer.
    reckon a fella could put up with them for hunting only....one advantage of either contacts of glasses,your eyeball has tiny bit of protection from twigs....poked myself in eyeball couple of weeks back and it took best bit of an hour to come right,my older bro went one better and dug eyeball out with poke from stick!!!!!

Thank guys for your thoughts . That stag this morning will haunt me but thankfully its not just me that has this issue. Danny , Ill try sighting in with the new glasses Ive got and adjust the scope to suit. I think the old ones are a bit shot which isn’t helping. Look at it this way , It cant get any worse. Kiwi , a new scope , Ive got a few now that I dont use, haha. , good thought but I love poking around in the bush , not really a tops hunter and theres less climbing ( but theres less time to adjust things), cheers anyway.
    Micky Duck likes this.

yeah I have the same issue I need glasses for long distance. I have found I need to have the scope magnification down a bit while I'm wearing them otherwise it's a bit blurry. Ironically I can see fine through the scope without glasses but need them on to see definition when I'm walking around.

I had this issue. I still wear glasses full time, however now wear contacts when hunting and or shooting.
    Still struggle in low light regardless of glasses or contacts, but at least I have gotten past the fogging issue.

I've worn glasses for over 50 years, cant do the contact thing. I now have varifocals, look at the close stuff like this keyboard through the bottom of the lense and look out the window at the geese with the top of the lense. You dont even think about it, it just happens. Go get a good pair of glasses, put 'em on and leave 'em on!.....except when you go to sleep. And adjust your scope with your glasses on. That way anybody with half decent vision will find the scope is focused for them as well. As for the fogging thing, the more you wear them, and clean them, the less they fog. And if you have the coin, go for the lightest, thinnest newest fan dangled poly carbonate type lense that your optometrist has on offer cos they fog very little.
    mikee, Beaker and Micky Duck like this.

I have worn glasses for ever. Contacts are better for sports and hunting but a pain in the arse to fit and remove. I find the trick with hunting with glasses is try and keep cool. Take layers of before you start climbing the hill.Stop before you get to the top and take a minute to cool down before looking into the next gully. Carry a cleaning cloth or chamois cloth in a CLEAN pocket, if you do fog up a quick wipe will usually buy you enough time to make a shot.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

My glasses are a bane for hunting in wet warm weather. Tried contacts once but quickly found out that it is much more difficult to put those on and off in a tent with dirty fingers compared to glasses. Keeping cool and using a bit of antifog gel for diving goggles helps a bit, but it is hard to keep cool when scaling steep hills. Always keep a little bit of cloth for glasses in my bum bag.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Yup time is heading that way for me too
    Eyes started going down hill after my brain injury in 2014.
    Lost a lot of close range focus and both eyes focus different. Once out a bit it's ok
    But definitely cant read as well if the lights a bit low.
    Hanging off as long as I can before i get them
    Micky Duck likes this.

I wear contacts when doing anything outdoors, especially hunting/shooting.
    They are a pain in the arse and I hate them, the only thing I hate more than contact lenses is glasses.

I used to try get by with only wearing glasses/contacts when I absolutely had to but wear them full time now, being able to see properly 1000% of the time is worth the faff of contacts lenses.
    Micky Duck likes this.

have worn contacts for 40 years,
    modern ones are light years ahead of my first pair. Now I wear disposibles. Can put them in on the fly no mirror or other stuff required. Always have a couple of spares in my kit.
    Only hassle now is I need bloody glasses to see up close FFS!!!!
    Micky Duck and CamD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    have worn contacts for 40 years,
    modern ones are light years ahead of my first pair. Now I wear disposibles. Can put them in on the fly no mirror or other stuff required. Always have a couple of spares in my kit.
    Only hassle now is I need bloody glasses to see up close FFS!!!!

What brand of disposables do you use? I might give them another go. last time I tried, eyes got sore and watery halfway through the day hunt and they were difficult to put in and take out.