Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: How to make my .22 quieter

How to make my .22 quieter

So I am finding my .22 louder than I expected. I thought you could get them really quiet using subsonics and a suppressor, but I didn't really know what to expect having never used actual firearms before.
    I'm using CCI subsonics. I bought a cheap $45 no-name suppressor off the local Elio's gunshop, because the fella said it was good and recommended it, said other customers rated it highly. I said I was prepared to pay for the DPT one but said i'd try the cheapo one.
    This new suppressor makes it pretty quiet if you shoot straight into the ground, but if I shoot a target 30m away it makes a pretty decent crack still, loud enough to alarm my chooks 50m away, echo off the trees 100m away, and alert my family in the house with closed windows. It certainly would alert any nearby rabbits to my presence.
    Are my subsonics actually going supersonic? What am I doing wrong? Or were my expectations unrealistic?
    Or should I have paid for the more expensive suppressor...

From what you've described the projectile may be at supersonic velocity. The crack you're hearing is the bullet breaking the sound barrier, suppressor will cut down the bang of the gun firing.

With my suppressed 22 (and consistent subsonic ammo) you hear the click of firing pin hitting the cartridge, then woooosh as the bullet heads down range.
    rewa, RUMPY, XR500 and 1 others like this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Most of the CCI subsonics I've used go with a fair crack. You should get some real slow rounds, there are some around 710fps and they are nice and quiet. I got some CCI segmented subsonics @710fps and they are the ducks nuts
    rewa likes this.

CCI subs are rated at 1050 ps. Speed of sound varies but generally is 1100 fps at sea level with atsmosperic pressure around a standard reading.

Seem to be reading more an more about a few rounds in a box of subs going "crack". I've never experienced it with my CCI subs which are all really old stock.

It would seem unusual for every round of yours to break the sound barrier. The suppressor of course cannot get rid of that crack, only the sound of the powder going off.

Something else is amiss. Have you tried a different brand of subs? Is your rifle stock standard, ie factory barrel length. What is your rifle?

With my Marlin SA the loudest sound is the action cycling.
    Brad S likes this.

MB
    As above, sounds like they are going supersonic. First time I fired suppressed subsonic 22LR (also CCI Subsonic, CZ452), it was so quiet, thought I had a misfire! So yes, it should be very quiet. I don't think your suppressor is the issue. Bad batch of ammo or related to barrel length?
    Micky Duck likes this.

AR7
    Hi 22lr shooter unless you just have a bad box of CCI Subsonic which would be a first as these are really quiet in my 10/22
    Get in touch with FSS as i have serval of his and i can vouch for the workmanship . How long is your barrel as on one of my builds it is only 300 mm long
    also you could change the Ruger buffer to a plastic type one as this stops the clack of the bolt hitting the steel pin
    Happy hunting
    Fssprecision likes this.

I have a cheap $50 can from hunting and fishing on my lithgow 22, using CCI subsonic HP's and its pretty quiet will happily use without ear pro, finishing shots can be fairly loud compared to general shooting, pretty good thwack sound on those.

At a guess maybe your barrel length is allowing the CCI subs to go supersonic which would give you a crack, they are rated at 1050fps which is pretty close to the sound barrier so wouldn't take much, maybe grab a pack of ammo thats rated below 1000 fps I've had good luck with aguila subsonics, just make sure to get the 40gr not the 60gr as the 60s likely wont stabilise and may lead to a baffle strike (they flew sideways out of all my rifles)
    only downside of the agulia stuff is It smells like cat piss after shooting, could just be my nose though.
    timattalon, rewa and Hugh Shields like this.

Try cci suppressor ammo, it is 970fps, I never got one going supersonic and it is pretty accurate at 50m.

20shot group at 50m

Name:  87666785-eb56-44fd-be5a-8d37766889a0.jpeg
Views: 562
Size:  255.8 KB
    Last edited by tibo; 22-11-2023 at 11:17 AM.

I use Winchester Subsonic in a semi auto with a quite short (14” or so) barrel and silencer and the loudest noise is the action cycling.
    I doubt barrel length is the issue.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Alright sounds like it's my ammo going supersonic. Thanks for the advice.
    To answer the questions:
    This is the rifle https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....z-452-a-98019/

I've been using the little boxes of cci subs that I got with the rifle, I haven't tried any other stuff yet.

I have not parked up and shot a whole bunch of rounds, but I haven't noticed any rounds being quieter than others, so I think they're all going supersonic.

I've bought a new box of ammo. Will try that.
    tibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    Alright sounds like it's my ammo going supersonic. Thanks for the advice.
    To answer the questions:
    This is the rifle https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....z-452-a-98019/

I've been using the little boxes of cci subs that I got with the rifle, I haven't tried any other stuff yet.

I have not parked up and shot a whole bunch of rounds, but I haven't noticed any rounds being quieter than others, so I think they're all going supersonic.

I've bought a new box of ammo. Will try that.
    Try as many ammo as you can, even for a same model I have seen 22s that liked to be fed different ammo. Most brands have sub 1000fps ammo get one box each and shoot group of 10 see what it does. Also You often need to send a few round of a new type of ammo through the barrel as most use a different wax. You will see group tightened.
    Brad S and NAKED_GOOSE like this.

@viper...care to chime in???? guarantee he will have used ammunition that was quiet...maybe your expectations are too high..PERSONALLY IVE NEVER heard a .22lr just give the click n whoosh other than a full barrel suppressed model... there is always some noise. not the crack of a supersonic round but noise is still there.
    the older winchester ammunition in white box was great..new stuff has had poor reviews..but the CCI normally gets good feed back.
    Dama dama, rewa and svt40 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

It could well be my expectations are too high. I don't mind, just want to make sure its as quiet as I can get it.
    rewa likes this.

I put my full sized centrefire overbarrel suppressor on the JW15 .22lr thinking would be ducks nuts and could run supersonic rounds quietly..nope no different to a small suppressor...SLIGHTLY quieter with subs but not much..the wee suppressors only have a tiny amount of exhaust gas/explosion left to capture.
    fire a round suppressor off...then put it on again..you will see it does a lot.
    then do same with supersonic round
    the difference is huge.
    I use subs in a longer barrel JW15 without suppressor as find it quiet enough.... one day might do suppressor thing again for it but cant see it happening anytime soon.
    flock and rewa like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Banned
    Try some standard velocity ammo. Its target ammo but slower than speed of sound and consistant