Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: How to make my .22 quieter

I dont think your expectations are too high.

With suppressed 22 with SUBSONIC ammo it should not be making a crack scaring chooks 50m away.
    With mine i cut the barrel down to 13" from 24 and still no crack, there was a small but noticeable increase in noise but still no crack and not enough to disturb nearby animals (unless the projectile was landing near them)
    CCI standard that was 1050/1070fps on the box was still subsonic at both barrel lengths.

I never tried CCI subsonic. As i was using Winchester subsonic hollow points
    Micky Duck likes this.

Got a plastic slip-on suppressor fitted to my Brno, forty plus years old. All I hear is the click of firing pin and a bit of a whoosh sound followed by the thud of a hit. Crafty’s ? up north made them I think. Just slip off when using supers.
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    Silent Kill suppressors , made by a guy in Nelson back in the day. Best on the market at the time
    zimmer, timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

The Silent Kill slip on one is still made by an old guy in Nelson (Stoke?)
    Tests a while back showed that they suppressed the noise better than most competitors.
    Still won't suppress the sound of the bullet if it's going supersonic as it exits the barrel though.

Edit @sportco62 yuh beat me to it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just to confuse things...but I made my own suppressor from plastic plumbing pipes and fittings many years ago (after my mate showed me the one he bought from the guy in Stoke).
    It was made as a push on fit to my old BSA Martini sporter.
    I only shot Winchester Power Point, and all you could hear was the firing pin strike ('click') and then nothing until the sound of the bullet strike came back from the target a second or two later.
    No supersonic 'crack'.
    Maybe the old Power Point was not super sonic? Maybe the Martini barrel was long enough to slow the bullet down?
    No idea, but that old Martini was a great wee rifle and deadly quiet with that plastic fantastic pushed onto the barrel.
    Must make another one. Just some 40mm plumbing pipe, 2 end caps, an adapter, and glue.
    To align the barrel bore with the far end cap I just fired a shot...instant hole of the right diameter and in the exact spot to align properly.
    Brad S likes this.
    Artillery...landscape adjustment since 1300AD.

Ive got one of those adapors and even a plastic bottle screwed on the end of the muzzle works just as well as any suppressor I have just looks a bit weird thats all

Before I started sporterising my bsa martini international, I did try the original long (27"?) barrel and ot seemed relatively quiet. Suggest the extra length barrel was letting the gases expand and cool down for that fraction longer to help.
    Also know of someone with his Russian 22. The model that seems to shoot well as its based on a target rifle but having an elderly moment and it's name escapes me. It consistently put those CCI subs just supersonic.
    It's been several years since I tried them at his place but something is niggling that it had quite a velocity spread through my 10/22 across the chrony.
    50 or 60fps rings a bell

MB
    The inference is that his barrel is too long giving greater velocity and pushing those borderline CCI Subsonics in to supersonic rounds. Solution is to use lower velocity rounds or get the barrel chopped. Who wants a long barrel 22LR anyway?

I have a long barrel .22? It doesn't seem long. Seems tiny after using my old air rifle. Interesting

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    I have a long barrel .22? It doesn't seem long. Seems tiny after using my old air rifle. Interesting
    Long is relative. It's your choice. If you don't want to get it chopped, try some lower velocity rounds to begin with.

Nup. I have a truckload of Eley standard velocity match and it must be hanging around close to supersonic, as its noisier than I would like. I just purchased some Hornady subsonic, and its far more 'click/whuuur thok' stuff. Far quieter.
    Grey Kiwi and Micky Duck like this.

A lot of american subsonic ammo is made for semis, and is marginal on the supersonic/subsonic speed if not used in a semi-auto.

Hence people like CCI sell sub-suppressor or quiets.

I have 3 22s, a little badger, a browning trombone, and a savage bolt. All get silent all your hear is the click then impact levels of noise using quiet or sub-suppressor ammo. All use DPT cans.

https://www.guncity.com/cci-22-lr-su...-970fps-321158
    What's this stuff like, says its 45gr and nearly as fast

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Before I started sporterising my bsa martini international, I did try the original long (27"?) barrel and ot seemed relatively quiet. Suggest the extra length barrel was letting the gases expand and cool down for that fraction longer to help.
    Also know of someone with his Russian 22. The model that seems to shoot well as its based on a target rifle but having an elderly moment and it's name escapes me. It consistently put those CCI subs just supersonic.
    It's been several years since I tried them at his place but something is niggling that it had quite a velocity spread through my 10/22 across the chrony.
    50 or 60fps rings a bell
    toz/bakail
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    https://www.guncity.com/cci-22-lr-su...-970fps-321158
    What's this stuff like, says its 45gr and nearly as fast
    should be great..... and you dont need to change your barrel AT ALL... beautiful rifle...its a bugger I live so far from you or could sort this in a jiffy... just need to try something else and workout whats normal...as yo usaid you dont know what you dont know... my air rifle is louder than subsonic 22lr through suppressor.
    75/15/10 black powder matters