Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: How to manage recoil?

Buy a 'Past' recoil pad and wear it under your shirt........ I use it both at the range and in the field for calibers like the 375 H&H Magnum. Tames it right down and is comfortable to wear. I also wear a pair of electronic ear muffs when shooting big cals......

https://www.shooterssupplies.co.nz/p...apedrecoilpad/
    sheep likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    Yes, factory tikka radial muzzle brake. Will be getting a suppressor after lockdown. Hope it helps to manage recoil.
    DONT add a suppressor if you want more recoil reduction and particularly if you want light weight as you've said.
    The factory brakes are average at best get a Terminator brake or similar and recoil will be less than half what your currently getting.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, sheep and Jonno like this.

its all in technique.....and noise reduction.....earplugs n muffs when using a loudener....some fellas swear by them...me ,I swear at them.
    BORROW a suppressor with same thread. you arent perchance using hornady superpreformance loads???? if so DONT.
    HIGHLAND/PRIVI are both mild recoil wise as is strangely enough Winchester 180grn power points....it feels less than the same in 150grn... and kills well.
    I highly suggest reading link Im going to post here soon...read it three times so info sinks in...it made huge difference to my shooting and has helped a lot of others too.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...at+Forend.html
    rewa, sheep and Jonno like this.

I use springer air rifles, the hold technique is to let the front grip slide, artillery hold. Got a forwards & backwards recoil that buggers up accuracy.

Done this a few times with the 308, large pills, full Mounty loads, Wow the recoil was up there. Hold the front firm and push it back into your shoulder, the trigger hand is not as important. I use this grip even when bench rest shooting, that front hand firm helps heaps.

Just chiming in cause I don't like recoil, had torn tendons, and a shoulder op which has been not so successful, at the range I fire the odd big banger, with the right technique don't have a problem. As a young chap the 308 was too much for me.
    Last edited by flock; 22-08-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Reload 110g Barnes ttsx and suppress ,my 10ry old shoots my .308 with this combo.
    Micky Duck, rewa, sheep and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno View Post
    As said, a decent brake will leave a light 308 with next to no recoil.
    What kind of shooting do you do? A brake can be hazardous for stalking but could work with electronic muffs.
    If reloading, then reduced loads and a suppressor work good for bush stalking.
    Pest control and hunting.

Use 308 for hunting, .22 & 17hmr for pest control.

Somethings seriously wrong if your feeling like a 308 is going to break your shoulder. Smaller calibers are still good for hunting. Last thing you want to do is develop a flinch.
    Cowboy, Ranger 888 and sheep like this.
    Go fast, Don’t suck

Quote Originally Posted by G.I_Joel View Post
    Somethings seriously wrong if your feeling like a 308 is going to break your shoulder. Smaller calibers are still good for hunting. Last thing you want to do is develop a flinch.
    He might be a midget?

Have you shot a 308 before? A different rifle ? How was the recoil ? A light weight Tikka 308 without a good suppressor or brake can be a challenge for those of us who are recoil sensitive and as others have stated the muzzle blast from brake will add to felt recoil. See if you can borrow a suppressor and see if that helps. If intended use is hunting then suppressor is best option. A good brake like T2 terminator will be better at reducing recoil but not so user friendly for general hunting
    sheep likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I_Joel View Post
    Smashed my right collarbone into pieces many moons ago. The titanium steels were removed but the shoulder was never the same again. Well, will get a T2 brake/butt pad and work on my posture to see if it helps. Last resort is to get a 6.5.
    bigbear and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Have you shot a 308 before? A different rifle ? How was the recoil ? A light weight Tikka 308 without a good suppressor or brake can be a challenge for those of us who are recoil sensitive and as others have stated the muzzle blast from brake will add to felt recoil. See if you can borrow a suppressor and see if that helps. If intended use is hunting then suppressor is best option. A good brake like T2 terminator will be better at reducing recoil but not so user friendly for general hunting
    Right. Will borrow a suppressor to see if it work.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Suppress and lighter loads. I run 130’s with 3 extra baffles on my dpt, shoots like a .223
    My 9 yo nephew shoots out to 300m with it easy as. Even when it wasn’t suppressed and ran 180s in it it was still fairly tame but in that state i wouldn’t have got my nephew to shoot it. Loads of good advice above. Best thing I ever done was suppress it.
    Or even due to your old injury you may just be super sensitive to shouldering it properly? I clean broke my collar bone playing rugby but nothing as serious as what yours sounds like. I would tend to look at your recoil management from A different perspective, some strength training for your shoulder may help? Chest back and shoulder was all I worked on when I was rebuilding from my break. Just my two cents
    sheep likes this.
    Go fast, Don’t suck

Quote Originally Posted by sheep View Post
    Smashed my right collarbone into pieces many moons ago. The titanium steels were removed but the shoulder was never the same again. Well, will get a T2 brake/butt pad and work on my posture to see if it helps. Last resort is to get a 6.5.
    That's a rough deal of it mate.

If it's your collar bone giving you grief try to avoid shooting prone (lying down). You want be sitting and standing. That way the butt of the rifle isn't sitting on the collarbone and your body is also able to more easily move with the recoil rather than your body being stationary and the shoulder absorbing the recoil.

If your hunting definitely get a suppressor instead of a brake. The shoulder pad mentioned above would also be a good option as it'll spread the load across the shoulder.

There are bipod options for sitting or shooting sticks.

I'd be interested if the issue with recoil has just been during sighting/target shooting or you've experienced it hunting.

Depending where in the Waikato you are I have two suppressed .308s (one 3.2kg and the other 3.0kg) and a Tikka with a limbsaver that I could unscrew and pop on yours for you to try (it's on a .270 so you'll not want to shoot that until you figure out what's causing the issues).

Forgot to mention I have a limbsaver recoil pad on mine as well
    sheep likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    That's a rough deal of it mate.

If it's your collar bone giving you grief try to avoid shooting prone (lying down). You want be sitting and standing. That way the butt of the rifle isn't sitting on the collarbone and your body is also able to more easily move with the recoil rather than your body being stationary and the shoulder absorbing the recoil.

If your hunting definitely get a suppressor instead of a brake. The shoulder pad mentioned above would also be a good option as it'll spread the load across the shoulder.

There are bipod options for sitting or shooting sticks.

I'd be interested if the issue with recoil has just been during sighting/target shooting or you've experienced it hunting.

Depending where in the Waikato you are I have two suppressed .308s (one 3.2kg and the other 3.0kg) and a Tikka with a limbsaver that I could unscrew and pop on yours for you to try (it's on a .270 so you'll not want to shoot that until you figure out what's causing the issues).
    Thanks for the offer mate.

The issue occurred during sighting. No issue when I was much younger and the collarbone was perfect. Will work on the advise and see if help.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk