Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Long range shooting course

^^^ ahaha. went your hands are red its all good. when their green or brown... wump wowww....

"Well I learned a lot about my rifle and it performed very well at 1000 yards. I think I need to do some more testing at 100 but it seems to be all good. When the instructors were spotting my shots they said they easily went into a 1 inch group at 1000 and that's all I really need."

Geez the Aussies like to settle for crap performance eh. Only 1" at 1000y accuracy??? Might as well throw rocks at 'em mate

R93
    Think it was meant to be 1 MOA.
    1" at a K, would be a world record and I havn't bothered setting it yet.
    Cant find a mirror that I can hold steady enough while the rifle is on top of my shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Neckshot likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Typo may be .. 1 moa ,or 1 "

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Nearly $2200 NZ to learn what you could by attending a couple LR shoots for peanuts put on by forum members? Trust me there is nothing you could learn off them that couldnt from forum members and attending a couple of shoots. Go to the Auckland gong shoot and you will be surprised what you will take away from it.
    You would either have been bluffed or have way too much money to attend that case, my personal opinion of course.

2k for a 5 day course isn't unreasonable but what would you really take away from it that you couldn't learn through being around others that shoot long range ?I would also ask anyone considering these courses to ask your self why? Have you watch Sniper one to many times on DVD or do you think there are areas that they will cover in depth that you cannot find yourself with a search engine or by asking your peers ?
    Well there probably are things to be truthful you could learn on one of these courses and those would be more around body mechanics and natural point of aim and trigger pull if the tutor was any good.
    Other things a person interested in LR shooting will do is read about most subjects on the net as most things are very well covered in many forums -in particular SnipersHide which caters to the serious tactical shooter ,hunter , plinker and whatever else you might class yourself as .One other major factor in doing a course worth this money you would want to come away with more than the basics if you are already a competent marksman -1ST round hits even with experienced shooter doesn't always happen as we well know as there are many variable that come into this equations and they keep changing especially wind .Wind will be the one that kicks your arse more than any other factor in long range shooting .Only long hours behind the gun in different terrain will train you TO handle wind and the signs to look for like movement and mirage and even then you'll still eat plenty of humble pie
    I would attend a course if I had bucks to waste but I would I come back a better shooter -maybe a bit maybe not and I would rather spend the 2k on another bit of kit and go and practice more with my peers and discuss performance or that lack thereof with them.Bottom line if your not going to do a course of some sort shoot a lot with other enthusiasts that have a clue --come to the Auckland gong shoot as R93 suggests if your close enough to come and quickly gain some good knowledge for free!!!
    Last edited by el borracho; 21-07-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    Lurcher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    2k for a 5 day course isn't unreasonable but what would you really take away from it that you couldn't learn through being around others that shoot long range ?I would also ask anyone considering these courses to ask your self why? Have you watch Sniper one to many times on DVD or do you think there are areas that they will cover in depth that you cannot find yourself with a search engine or by asking your peers ?
    Well there probably are things to be truthful you could learn on one of these courses and those would be more around body mechanics and natural point of aim and trigger pull if the tutor was any good.
    Other things a person interested in LR shooting will do is read about most subjects on the net as most things are very well covered in many forums -in particular SnipersHide which caters to the serious tactical shooter ,hunter , plinker and whatever else you might class yourself as .One other major factor in doing a course worth this money you would want to come away with more than the basics if you are already a competent marksman -1ST round hits even with experienced shooter doesn't always happen as we well know as there are many variable that come into this equations and they keep changing especially wind .Wind will be the one that kicks your arse more than any other factor in long range shooting .Only long hours behind the gun in different terrain will train you TO handle wind and the signs to look for like movement and mirage and even then you'll still eat plenty of humble pie
    I would attend a course if I had bucks to waste but I would I come back a better shooter -maybe a bit maybe not and I would rather spend the 2k on another bit of kit and go and practice more with my peers and discuss performance or that lack thereof with them.Bottom line if your not going to do a course of some sort shoot a lot with other enthusiasts that have a clue --come to the Auckland gong shoot as R93 suggests if your close enough to come and quickly gain some good knowledge for free!!!
    flying up to auckland and back several times to learn to shoot seems equally un-economical if thats the point your trying to make... whats with the weak "sniper" dvd referral u got going down there? and for the internet search issue...i have used google before and thanks.
    man i was just putting it out there no need to run me down or hint at my dvd collection... i work in western australia , come back infrequently to nz so it was more a time thing for me to learn as much as i can as quickly as i can while im working away

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    We have shot put of wellie too Dave. Will hve to check to see if access is still available but couple hrs up the line is another option we have

Quote Originally Posted by ARdave View Post
    flying up to auckland and back several times to learn to shoot seems equally un-economical if thats the point your trying to make... whats with the weak "sniper" dvd referral u got going down there? and for the internet search issue...i have used google before and thanks.
    man i was just putting it out there no need to run me down or hint at my dvd collection... i work in western australia , come back infrequently to nz so it was more a time thing for me to learn as much as i can as quickly as i can while im working away
    my post was talking generally not to you per se'.
    The DVD referral is a very real happening and motivation for some to do tactical courses. Your welcome to fly to Auckland for the weekend and shoot with us
    Last edited by el borracho; 22-07-2012 at 11:00 PM.

I had to laugh about this also as I wanted to learn to fly after seeing top gun -haha what a wanker

You put your name down yet B? I know you want to.......
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

If I had the bucks and the time yeah I wouldn't mind hanging out in Aus sending a few rounds down the range and learning some stuff-but would it be stuff I would need not being a professional soldier -but I haven't so its Top Gun dreaming and aeroplane noises for me

Banned
    If I shot a deer At 1k in the ruahines it would take me a half a day just to get to the area i thought i shot it at!.Then find it maybe! Or i could get a mate to spot for me and guide me in with a..........................morse code.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    We have shot put of wellie too Dave. Will hve to check to see if access is still available but couple hrs up the line is another option we have
    dead keen!

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    my post was talking generally not to you per se'.
    The DVD referral is a very real happening and motivation for some to do tactical courses. Your welcome to fly to Auckland for the weekend and shoot with us
    hahah no worries then! ill have to take u up on that offer now

Yes do that as you wont learn much through Wellington shooters -all wind down there