Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Long range shooting course

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Ever seen a body builder run up a hill? Me neither.

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I don't get it.
    I read it as: Some of the guys you see associated with such courses are massive body-builders in camo fatigue pants/tight black tee shirts. They are massively built, but they are also often claiming to be soldiers. ...and soldiers need to be able to run up hills- in order to get places, and avoid the whole 'death' thing.

....I think it ties back to his statement about "paramilitary wannabe wankers".

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    So you only like to listen to people with a track record of winning shooting competitions.
    Shooting competitions in the mountains are pretty rare unless you count the "bet you cant hit that rock over there" "bet I can" type and these dont usually end with a prize giving unless you count a impromptu hand full of dry wild animal shit being thrown at someone.

So you want a proven competition winner who is an expert mountain wind caller(if there is such a thing) to hold a course for preferably nothing in little ol NZ.........................Choosy much?

Best way to learn about wind in the mountains is spend some time up them..... Hunting would be as good a excuse as any.
    2012 STEEL SAFARI - - COMPETITION DYNAMICS

A competition like this would be very cool. A lot of fun, and test your skills in a very practical, directly translating to hunting, type of way.

I intend to run one when I have the time.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/steel-safari-2010/?p=1

http://demigodllc.com/articles/blue-...el-safari-2006

http://demigodllc.com/articles/blue-...el-safari-2007

http://demigodllc.com/articles/color...el-safari-2008

One of these links explains the concept well but my internet is too slow to load any of them.

I don't get it.
    tussock just likes to see large muscled men run lol

Zak does Great stuff for sure but we have a contest in Tekapo that is worthy of participating in Gunslinger -it was fricken awesome!!!
    Even my own gong shoot is a carry and walk to the targets ,nothing like Zaks shoot which is very cool

These are some more photos of the Gunslinger shooting down into the valley from 700 -just under one mile away .
    Thats me with a spotting scope in the Green
    Attached Images Attached Images         

I have no real interest in shooting at 1 mile, it's far from what I consider practical shooting and I don't have a rifle capable of shooting that far (Because of this lack of interest). I would participate in one of the Gunslinger events with more realistic ranges such as the upcoming "hunter challenge" or whatever it's called if I knew I'd be off work then, but I don't know that yet so I won't be registering.

2012 STEEL SAFARI - - COMPETITION DYNAMICS

A competition like this would be very cool. A lot of fun, and test your skills in a very practical, directly translating to hunting, type of way.

I intend to run one when I have the time.
    This style of course is surprisingly difficult. I ran a medium to long range course under this format in Rotorua a couple or three months ago. Learnt some lessons on how to run them. Out of the ten invited competitors i had there only really four were serious and of them only one got over halfway on points. Planning making the next one a bit easier. One competitor (who ended up 2nd overall) made 7 from 14 first shots on targets ranging from 350m to 960m. I made 5 first round hits from 14 and the first place getter only made 4!

i missed the mile shots-not by a lot but missed never the less.This shoot had shorter distances also , in fact two separate distance contest running at the same time .We flew onto the top of the hill and walked from point to point to shoot with a range officer awaiting us at each point .40 shooters in all participated and all raved about it -it is NZ best long range event bar none

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    This style of course is surprisingly difficult. I ran a medium to long range course under this format in Rotorua a couple or three months ago. Learnt some lessons on how to run them. Out of the ten invited competitors i had there only really four were serious and of them only one got over halfway on points. Planning making the next one a bit easier. One competitor (who ended up 2nd overall) made 7 from 14 first shots on targets ranging from 350m to 960m. I made 5 first round hits from 14 and the first place getter only made 4!
    what distances are you shooting Ghille and prone//standing/leaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post

Please post on here next time you run something, I'd be interested to attend...

How did you run the scoring, if the winner only made 4 first round hits? More than 1 shot per target allowed I guess? Or greater weighting for longer targets?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Do you have to wear matching camo?

Who are they hiding from?
    Zombies...

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    what distances are you shooting Ghille and prone//standing/leaning?
    All prone, distance were as i mentioned - 350m to 960m. Long shots were accross two seperate gullies with almost no wind indicators (old man pines and short grass...) and a mean cross wind. Couldn't even spot misses in the grass. Afterwards some guys mentioned some positional shooting would be good as well - sitting, standing and the like. I have a few ideas on how to integrate this shooting into the event as well.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    i missed the mile shots-not by a lot but missed never the less.This shoot had shorter distances also , in fact two separate distance contest running at the same time .We flew onto the top of the hill and walked from point to point to shoot with a range officer awaiting us at each point .40 shooters in all participated and all raved about it -it is NZ best long range event bar none

The helicopter to the hill seems like an unnecessary expense and doesn't exactly scream practical shooting to me. Not hard to be the best when there aren't really any others....

I'm not meaning to be too critical, I would like to shoot one of these events when I get the chance, just don't think they're run quite how I would do it.... and I intend to give running something a go myself when I have the time.

I hate camouflage when target shooting. You see it at the NZDA range in Dunedin all the time. Fat old men in realmossydipshitadvantagecamo polarfleece trousers, sighting in at the range. It's so... unnecessary

Do you have to wear matching camo?

all the french contingent came fully decked out in matching camo

Tame Iti and the others who were training for "security work in the Middle East"??

...oh wait, 'Gunslinger' is in the South Island.