Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: NZ's battle over semi-automatics: Police frustrated by the law, firearm owners frustr

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Yup. A number of people had previously told police that Grey was not 'fit and proper' and voiced concerns. That was the real issue. The whole MSSA thing was to be seen to be doing something, even though most of those he shot were with a bolt action 22 if I remember correctly.
    I recently read a submission to NZ Parliament by a fellow named John Dyer. In it he claimed that as the 1983 Act laid down the "fit and proper" stipulation, police had started applying the criteria to existing firearms license holders. They started screening FAL holders, beginning with the letter "A", but by the time they had done "F" someone high up the police food chain decided to abandon the effort and thus the remainder of FAL holders were "grandfathered in" as fit and proper, including David Grey!

The "fit and proper" system has merit. Competent application of existing law is needed.
    gadgetman and timattalon like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiinSeattle View Post
    This is a limp dick UN initiative and interesting to note that none of the five permanent member countries of the UN have signed up.
    It's one of the UN's many "initiatives" - They gave us the "gun-free zones" that have become regurgitated throughout institutions globally.

Then there is this:

Programme of Action on small arms and its International Tracing Instrument

"Under the Programme of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects (PoA), governments agreed to improve national small arms laws, import/export controls, and stockpile management – and to engage in cooperation and assistance.

In 2005 they also adopted the International Tracing Instrument (ITI), which requires States to ensure that weapons are properly marked and that records are kept. Moreover, it provides a framework for cooperation in weapons tracing – fulfilling one of the commitments governments made in the Programme of Action. Improving weapons tracing is now part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development."

Note the import/export "controls" and unified registration - Sound familiar?

Still not convinced? Here's a 2018 message from UN Secretary General António Guterres:

"GENEVA (24 May 2018) Secretary General António Guterres launched the United Nations’ new disarmament agenda, entitled “Securing Our Common Future”, at the University of Geneva in Switzerland. The new agenda puts focus on three priorities:

1. Disarmament to save humanity;

2. Disarmament that saves lives; and

3. Disarmament for future generations.

Stressing the importance of a comprehensive approach to disarmament, the Secretary General has called for all Member States to work together towards a drastic reduction in illicit flow of Conventional Weapons, and the creation of a society where the unlawful use of weapons is morally condemned.

The Secretary General also expressed his concerns over the widespread availability of conventional weapons, calling for greater control over conventional arms by the states, especially in a time when civilians are increasingly the victims of armed conflicts. António Guterres has also underlined the close link between his new disarmament agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals, that are the pillars of the United Nations’ mission all over the world.

Disarmament, he said, holds a “strong gender dimension”, since “women are several times more likely to be victims of gun violence than perpetrators”. The new agenda for disarmament promotes arms control to stop gender-based violence and urges especially young people to spread the culture of disarmament and to be “the most important force for change in our world”.

“Disarmament is an extremely important tool to strengthen peace and security, and to create the conditions for sustainable development and the promotion of human rights”,

Urging young people to spread the "culture of disarmament" and to be the force for change. This is why so many college students and their professor's won't ever budge on the argument for stricter gun-control. They lack sound judgement and reason and this is because plain and simple, they're being indoctrinated.
    veitnamcam, 300CALMAN and 40mm like this.

@Sasquatch

I too want to spread the culture of disarmament. Where do I go? When can I begin? Should I buy flowers on the way?

It's quite a new World in a way.
    I had a student working for me part time,when he discovered I owned guns he couldn't understand why I needed one or two.

He simply dismissed hunting and target shooting and would constantly fall back on "well you don't really needed it do you".

He is a product of a largely urbanized West,where the exposure to certain things in actuality are limited.
    300CALMAN, 40mm and outlander like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    I had a student working for me part time,when he discovered I owned guns he couldn't understand why I needed one or two.

He simply dismissed hunting and target shooting and would constantly fall back on "well you don't really needed it do you".

He is a product of a largely urbanized West,where the exposure to certain things in actuality are limited.
    @norsk

You need one or two? Funny, but I don't understand that either.
    timattalon likes this.

We further discussed "Need".
    I said he did not "need" to fly to the states for Christmas to see his Girlfriend and that the luxury of International travel was a selfish act of Environmental sabotage.If I didnt need to own a gun,then he didn't need to have a long distance relationship.If his opinions were to mean I bought my meat from the shop,why does he not find a lover closer to home?

You have a generation that has taken so much for granted,much like we have,now we see a seismic shift away from our recreation and ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    @Sasquatch

I too want to spread the culture of disarmament. Where do I go? When can I begin? Should I buy flowers on the way?
    I would recommend bringing a white feminist gender-neutral dove to the conference, but don't bring it in a cage. That would promote discrimination against equality. You must train this dove to fly around freely, and come to you when you have called it by it's correct pronoun.

Only then would you qualify to help spread the word of peace & prosperity through the disarming of all Western nations and their people.
    veitnamcam, ebf, Steve123 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I would recommend bringing a white feminist gender-neutral dove to the conference, but don't bring it in a cage. That would promote discrimination against equality. You must train this dove to fly around freely, and come to you when you have called it by it's correct pronoun.

Only then would you qualify to help spread the word of peace & prosperity through the disarming of all Western nations and their people.
    Form is temporary, class is permanent. @Sasquatch this is pure gold.....

the UN -a standing joke on planet earth!the five biggest arms manufacturers and distributors(illegal and otherwise)are all security councilcore members who run the bloody show simply by vetoing anything impinging on their own agendas.
    they also owe the bastard outfit billions ,but if the UN as much as squeaks about it theyre told"fuck off and wait''.of course if those debts arent settled the organisation goes tits up kaput bankrupt immediately.what ta fuck to do then .
    all this arms b/s is just that without arms we're all ripe for the plucking ...in fact Id bet my left ball the chinese and russians could give a flying fuck about so called meningless UN firearms sanctions ........ok bin it another 100,0000 AK47s ready to be consigned to lebanon or the other festering pimples in the middle east.
    actually the yanks arent far behind and with herr trump(thump)at the helm-they'd only need to look at him the wrong way and they could be turfed out their ivory tower in new york!!

and whilst im at it - systolic posting some bloody MSM article which fixaes on free standing pistol grips in MSSA'a
    insert and goggle the following ..0000164074 shes a long read but justice jillian mallon doesnt mince em in ripping the police policy makers a new arsehole ,after "gundoc" completely blew them outta the water as expert defence witness.
    if the shiney arsed biro pushers at PNHQhave forgotten that then time a few were quietly moved to thew local mental health unit under sec 30 mental health act.
    im happy to do the second opinion free of charge!!
    gadgetman, gonetropo and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    I'm pretty sure the cop that was killed was one of the last, if not the the last, person to be shot. Not the first.

His neighbors were the first ones shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramoana_massacre
    I stand corrected.
    systolic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    @norsk

You need one or two? Funny, but I don't understand that either.
    id say you were lacking and in dire need of more.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post

I had a similar conversation, I was working with some temporary labourers on a project, one of them in his early 20's.
    The conversation turned to shooting, one of them asked how many guns I had.

I took a moment to tot up the total, and answered "nine".

"Why do you need nine guns?" (this delivered in a tone of self righteous astonishment)

I decided on the spur of the moment to go with an answer that would throw a spanner into his university educated intellect.

I looked him in the eye and said:" Because I'm insecure".

The conversation screeched to a halt.

I just say that they all do different jobs, like a mechanic doesn't just have one spanner
    timattalon and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    Was that here (NZ),or in Norway?
    He was English