Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: PAKI PAKI shooting range

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefy View Post
    had an email from the club secretary and says that theyre a little way off with electronic targets etc.. but when it is finished they have a list of people as long as ones arm to contact....
    I bet they do Chiefy.

I heard through the grape vine the German electronic targets that were initially installed failed to deliver and were removed and returned.

HB is in serious need of a rifle range that is readily accessible to all who would like to use one.

Napier branch of the NZDA is currently working to establish a multi disiplinary range for all interested parties to use.

Hi guys

Any updates on how this range is progressing. Would be great to know if it is available to the public and the related contact info.

Are there any public ranges in HB? And when does the Napier NZDA meet as i would be interested in finding what its all about.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by POME View Post
    Are there any public ranges in HB? And when does the Napier NZDA meet as i would be interested in finding what its all about.
    POME

There are no public ranges in Hawkes Bay

Napier NZDA meets last Monday of each Month.

http://nzdanapier.org.nz/

Come along all are welcome.

We have a few Pome members already so you'll feel right at home

Cheers
    Pete

An update:

The Paki Paki range is a (formal) NRA template range.
    This basically means no calibre bigger than 8mm with a definite ME limit, ie no big boomers. No brakes allowed.
    The rifles must never have their bolts closed unless the rifle is right on target. The working definition of this is an NRA sling-supported rifle "in the shoulder" or an F /F-TR rifle on rest/bags.
    The current ranges available are 300 and 600yds.
    You -must- have a known zero for your rifle.

The latter is doubly important as the range runs Silver Mountain electronic targets and they don't want a shot-up microphone, let alone bullets heading over the horizon..

The HB Rifle Club will soon be upping the publicity to attract new shooters. It has been a case of ironing out the teething problems up til now.
    As stated, Les Marshall is the Secretary at :
    marshall.les@xtra.co.nz

PS.
    FYI, Tony Loughnan sadly passed away a while ago, a huge loss to both the local, national and international shooting fraternity. He was a highly respected consultant on technical matters (Chairman of the international ICFRA committee) and a past Pres of the NZ NRA.
    P38 likes this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    An update:

The Paki Paki range is a (formal) NRA template range.
    This basically means no calibre bigger than 8mm with a definite ME limit, ie no big boomers. No brakes allowed.
    The rifles must never have their bolts closed unless the rifle is right on target. The working definition of this is an NRA sling-supported rifle "in the shoulder" or an F /F-TR rifle on rest/bags.
    The current ranges available are 300 and 600yds.
    You -must- have a known zero for your rifle.

The latter is doubly important as the range runs Silver Mountain electronic targets and they don't want a shot-up microphone, let alone bullets heading over the horizon..

The HB Rifle Club will soon be upping the publicity to attract new shooters. It has been a case of ironing out the teething problems up til now.
    As stated, Les Marshall is the Secretary at :
    marshall.les@xtra.co.nz

PS.
    FYI, Tony Loughnan sadly passed away a while ago, a huge loss to both the local, national and international shooting fraternity. He was a highly respected consultant on technical matters (Chairman of the international ICFRA committee) and a past Pres of the NZ NRA.
    Thanks for the update 6x47.

I'd be keen to visit and maybe participate.

Cheers
    Pete

Thanks for that 6x47

Following up to a query from an attendee on Sat, I have done some checking with the NRA and they advise the following limit applies to any NRA range in NZ.

Besides there being an 8mm calibre limit for F-Class, there is also a 5000 Joule muzzle energy limit. This converts to 3805 ft-lbs which is a bit more than what the interim advice was. This of course rules out anything .338 or bigger, as well as the bigger 7s like the RUM

I have just emailed Les, I'm quite keen to do some F/TR. I have a new .308 sitting here that I haven't even fired a shot through yet...

Well, the range is well and truly running.
    We had a working bee last weekend and upgraded the accessibility of the 600yd mound. Both 3 and 6 are yet to have their final treatment, namely a compacted limestone base with permanent artificial turf. They will also be getting a cattle-proof fence..

The Silver Mountain targets are running well. Luxury to have your shot come up instantly on the screen beside you

are you open to new members?

Definitely!
    Contact Les as above. He'll fill in the details

Had a go at 600yds on Saturday

You're allowed to blame the coach but only for the "horizontal shots" Kurt..

I'd rather not talk about my group