Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The Practical Guide to Long Range Hunting Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    People are so quick to get out there and slag him off. I listen to what he has to say because he is out there doing it far far more than nearly every person on this forum, not surfing forums as though he is an expert.

It seems a bit rich that he gets a hard time from people on forums about copy/paste info on his site when we do it all the time and act like we came to the conclusions ourselves when really we just read somebody's opinion on another site and agreed with it.
    I think you will find most on here post from experience but if copy/pasting something interesting openly say so.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Jeez, savage you might have the forums mixed up? How do you know who gets up to what on this forum. I havent seen anyone here proffessing to be an expert either? That bloke Nathan does tho.
    Opinions will differ of course, but your way off the mark generalising people on here. Hes out there doing it? I can bet your fucking life I have fired more deliberate LR shots than this bloke ever would, so what? And he most likely helped pay for it, if he ever pays taxes. Whats that universal word you like again James?
    You seem to bite the other side of the pie on just about every issue on here savage. If your opinion is so low of this forum maybe you can kick his one in the guts. It seriously needs a boost.
    Yeah that kinda didn't come out the way I meant it to.

Most people shoot as a hobby and work in another industry, Nathan works/lives in the industry so I don't think my generalisation would be far off the mark regardless. You MAY have fired more LR shots but are you still firing more shots than him? With that kind of logic you would know more than anybody. Have you bedded more rifles than him?

Who is James?

People forget about the other side of the pie and somebody needs to remind them that it's there every now and then.

I have quite a high opinion of this forum and the people on it, much better than the Fishhunt one. Yes my previous comment would have fit much better over there sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    What I'd like to know is exactly what point does a shooter look at his rifle and say "not accurate enough". I mean are we talking guys wanting 1/4" MOA or is 1/2" ok? I'm all for tweeking things but surely this is a drastic thing to do isnt it. Tearing up your warranty and creating a must pay issue when ever something little fails on your rifle.

Is the barrel shoot-in period far more important than bedding?
    My main hunting rifle (factory) will shoot 1/4 with a load that is only good for paper. The two loads i use for hunting are 3/4 to1moa because its enough for the use altho others shoot better but have had bad experiences with bullet construction.
    The wifes 800 dollar second hand rifle shoots well under half after bedding
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    What I'd like to know is exactly what point does a shooter look at his rifle and say "not accurate enough". I mean are we talking guys wanting 1/4" MOA or is 1/2" ok? I'm all for tweeking things but surely this is a drastic thing to do isnt it. Tearing up your warranty and creating a must pay issue when ever something little fails on your rifle.

Is the barrel shoot-in period far more important than bedding?

I think half inch should be the minimum accuracy sought from a custom build mate. It is experience and personal preference as to what individuals will be satisfied with. Bedding is IMO way more important than running in a barrel. I have never ever run a barrel in like what is considered conventional. Only had my first new custom barrel that would not shoot just recently, out of many. Never had any issues prior to that barrel at all.
    If a barrel is going to shoot, it will from the start in my experience.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

why all the hate on Nathan? nathans the real deal, ease up on him. Ive seen his videos where he shoots goats easily at over 1000 yards. Ive talked to him persoanlly and watched some of his long range vids. . to me it makes him an expert if he can compentetly and cleanly take game out at that kinda distance. a few of u guys on here probably can too. cool post up your vids.
    Everytime Ive talked to him hes been awesome as, knowlegable and friendly and his advice has been spot on.
    As for the copy and paste shit, have you guys even read the information the guys compiled there? its goes through the cartridge history, good loads, what size game its ideal for,wounding, everything. pretty thorough shit. even to copy and paste that and compile alltogether would take fuckn months, and i highly doubt he just wikipedia'd that shit. ive yet to see a better clearer cartridge by cartridge analysis anywhere on the net
    Rich007, 7mmwsm and bully like this.

R93
    Sorry! You all can get back to dusting off his throne. I just felt the need to point out this man of all things shooting and hunting knows fuck all about
    Blasers
    I will scurry back to my cave that I share with all the other people that dont have a clue, because we dont have a thriving business in the industry.
    Last edited by R93; 14-12-2012 at 01:04 AM.

People are so quick to get out there and slag him off. I listen to what he has to say because he is out there doing it far far more than nearly every person on this forum, not surfing forums as though he is an expert.

It seems a bit rich that he gets a hard time from people on forums about copy/paste info on his site when we do it all the time and act like we came to the conclusions ourselves when really we just read somebody's opinion on another site and agreed with it.

You may be surprised at just how many animals some people hunted, culled on here..... just because they don't post a story doesn't mean they haven't been out, a story is useless without pics so those that don't take a camera generally don't post stories.... and I guess he is not on many forums as he has his own forum and web site to keep going

as for the copy/past... yup that's fine, on here we are not selling books containing that info but offering up info for free.... and most people put them in quotes or say where they got the info so it doesn't look like the person wrote it all...
    kiwijames and R93 like this.
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

I know jack shit about LR shooting so won't comment except I can't understand the need to bed a rifle that cost more than a Sako (cringe)

Fucktard is high in my vocabulary when driving

Enjoying this thread. It is also top of the pops on another forum. I know nothing about the guy one way or tother but he obviously polarises people.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Who is James? Me

I have quite a high opinion of this forum and the people on it, much better than the Fishhunt one. Yes my previous comment would have fit much better over there sorry.
    No need to be sorry either. Us Blaser owners are a tisky bunch and don't like our precious pop guns talked about in a poor light.

I read a bit of his stuff a while ago. According to his writings I'm a "hotshot with my baseball cap on backwards" shooting a rifle that won't do any better than 3moa at 100yds in a cal that often won't penetrate a boars shield with standard projectiles. Stoke up the fire in that cave R93 I don't like the cold.
    At leasts he didn't call bullets "pills"
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

LJP
    I don't own his book or have had a rifle accurised by him but I have had a few conversations with him. I got the impression he's a straight up, fairly knowledable character - like others a few topics I'd have to "agree to disagree" on. At the end of the day he has his own beliefs & his followers - they'll buy his book if they agree.

Personally I think Blaser's are "Butt Ugly" but even I am going to eventually give in and purchase one sometime soon as they are one of the most practical, versaltile & consistent rifle packages around. They pack down into a tiny case & almost allways trackdrivers right out of the box.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    I read a bit of his stuff a while ago. According to his writings I'm a "hotshot with my baseball cap on backwards" shooting a rifle that won't do any better than 3moa at 100yds in a cal that often won't penetrate a boars shield with standard projectiles. Stoke up the fire in that cave R93 I don't like the cold.
    At leasts he didn't call bullets "pills"

No worries sneeze I have just finished knawing on a wee buck skin matt for ya. I promise I will not Talk about pills.......I mean projectiles
    Last edited by R93; 14-12-2012 at 02:45 PM.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    I don't own his book or have had a rifle accurised by him but I have had a few conversations with him. I got the impression he's a straight up, fairly knowledable character - like others a few topics I'd have to "agree to disagree" on. At the end of the day he has his own beliefs & his followers - they'll buy his book if they agree.

Personally I think Blaser's are "Butt Ugly" but even I am going to eventually give in and purchase one sometime soon as they are one of the most practical, versaltile & consistent rifle packages around. They pack down into a tiny case & almost allways trackdrivers right out of the box.
    I have never considered them to be ugly? But if ya get one, eventually you will look at it long enough and find it pretty sexy, as well as all the other stuff you said

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    No worries sneeze I have just finished knawing on a wee buck skin matt for ya. I promise I will not Talk about pills.......I mean projectiles
    MMmmmm buckskin softened with drool normally reserved for blasers . Sounds cosy.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin