Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Rifle Double Grouping

try the old trick with a couple of shims made out of coke can. I'm told this works.
    My 243 was bedded by previous owner and shoots real well.
    Figure if I can hold out till next winter, I'll bring in a Bell and Carlson stock or something for the 270, then I'll start hand loading for it.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Cambo all these other blokes have tried to be helpful so I will as well. you could either get closer to the target or give the rifle to me.
    falconhell and Marty Henry like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

A mate has one in 308 with the Hogue stock and fairly slim barrel factory threaded. He wasn't that excited about the grouping at first and thought he had bought a lemon. Once bedded and he did put a DPT suppressor on, it would put 5 rounds into around an inch @ 100 with hand loads. I was impressed given that the barrel is so thin and thought it would be all over the place once it got warm.
    cambo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Cambo all these other blokes have tried to be helpful so I will as well. you could either get closer to the target or give the rifle to me.
    Rushy - you are a gentleman for such a kind offer. How close do you reckon?
    Close enough so I can swing the rifle by the barrel and smack the deer on its head with the stock? Or a but further away so the latte bubble maker can at least make a noise before the deer run off laughing at me?
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Rushy - you are a gentleman for such a kind offer. How close do you reckon?
    Close enough so I can swing the rifle by the barrel and smack the deer on its head with the stock? Or a but further away so the latte bubble maker can at least make a noise before the deer run off laughing at me?
    Closer the better with a 7-08. All of the deer and pigs that @phillipgr has got have either died laughing or been smacked between the eyes with the butt.
    cambo and Danny like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Closer the better with a 7-08. All of the deer and pigs that @phillipgr has got have either died laughing or been smacked between the eyes with the butt.
    I'm more of a bare-knuckle sort of hunter. I take a 7mm08 a long (and sometimes a handbag) to make Rushy feel less emasculated.
    cambo, gadgetman and Scouser like this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    I'm more of a bare-knuckle sort of hunter. I take a 7mm08 a long (and sometimes a handbag) to make Rushy feel less emasculated.
    Ha ha ha ha good retort Phillip

Have you contemplated taking the thing back to the supplier?

Definitely have a certified expert have a shot of it first. If its heat related it might be a stressed barrel that has a wondering POI as it heats up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Definitely have a certified expert have a shot of it first. If its heat related it might be a stressed barrel that has a wondering POI as it heats up.
    Unlikely heat effect on barrel, as it is grouping in two different spots. Heat would more likely make the shots spray randomly I would've thought.

stop wasting ammo, it should only take a couple of shots to sight in a rifle, if it is playing up, and you continue to shoot with out fixing the problem you are wasting your time and money.
    by all meens, take it out of the stock and have a play with the action screws make sure they are snug.
    piss the bipod off, they are bloody useless, set up a rest on a bench or even a half empty bag of chook food if you have no other option. but it is important to eliminate tourqueing the stock by supporting it with your rest as close to the action as is pratical.
    the rest should eliminate all movement.
    the problem with the houge stocks is that they flex like all hell, you will ajust your hold between shots due to recoil this causes un even tourquing of the stock, the same as caused by poor bedding. this is amplified by the bipod as it is at the end of the stock.
    set a target up at 50 mtrs. you will see if all the shots are going into one hole or if not that all the shots will at least hit paper.
    run a 5 shot group. see if that fixes the problem.
    having eliminated the possability of poor accuracy coming from the stock if it still shoots poorly, take another scope that you know works well. install it and repeat the test.
    dont worry about letting the barrel cool and cleaning between shots, its a waste of time and money.
    you should expect it to shoot to a maximum of 1 inch at 50mtrs or better.
    if the new scope dose not fix the problem, the gun will need further work that should be performed by a gunsmith, the likes of pillar or epoxy bedding, recrowning and the like.
    greg
    Bryan, Blaser, cambo and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greghud View Post
    stop wasting ammo, it should only take a couple of shots to sight in a rifle, if it is playing up, and you continue to shoot with out fixing the problem you are wasting your time and money.
    by all meens, take it out of the stock and have a play with the action screws make sure they are snug.
    piss the bipod off, they are bloody useless, set up a rest on a bench or even a half empty bag of chook food if you have no other option. but it is important to eliminate tourqueing the stock by supporting it with your rest as close to the action as is pratical.
    the rest should eliminate all movement.
    the problem with the houge stocks is that they flex like all hell, you will ajust your hold between shots due to recoil this causes un even tourquing of the stock, the same as caused by poor bedding. this is amplified by the bipod as it is at the end of the stock.
    set a target up at 50 mtrs. you will see if all the shots are going into one hole or if not that all the shots will at least hit paper.
    run a 5 shot group. see if that fixes the problem.
    having eliminated the possability of poor accuracy coming from the stock if it still shoots poorly, take another scope that you know works well. install it and repeat the test.
    dont worry about letting the barrel cool and cleaning between shots, its a waste of time and money.
    you should expect it to shoot to a maximum of 1 inch at 50mtrs or better.
    if the new scope dose not fix the problem, the gun will need further work that should be performed by a gunsmith, the likes of pillar or epoxy bedding, recrowning and the like.
    greg
    Agree. Houge stock supported by a bipod is bad news. Either bed an arrow shaft into the stock to stiffen it, or get an aftermarket rigid one. Pilar bed should sort it too, as it will raise the action and barrel a little to reduce the chance of the stock touching the barrel.

Try shooting it of a solid rest, under the action, not at the forend. If this allows you to shoot a good group, it nearly confirms the houge stock issue.
    cambo likes this.

Just came across this from Howa.

To keep the temperature cool in the barrel, wait at least 5 minutes between break-in
    shots. The barrel must remain cool during the break-in procedure. If the barrel is
    allowed to heat up during the break-in, it will destroy the steel’s ability to develop a
    home registration point, or memory. It will have a tendency to make the barrel “walk”
    when it heats up in the future.

Interesting....
    I can say that my barrel never got hot. Only ever fired single shots between cleaning for break in period so barrel never got even warm. Then and after that 3 shot groups with a gap of 10-15 mins between groups.
    Will be taking it out for a hunt labour weekend, then I will take it to the range again to try it on sand bags instead of the bipod, and another very experienced well known shooter will have a go as well just to see if that makes a difference.
    Supplier doesn't want me to take it apart or to modify it yet. Got to keep targets for them too.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Just came across this from Howa.

To keep the temperature cool in the barrel, wait at least 5 minutes between break-in
    shots. The barrel must remain cool during the break-in procedure. If the barrel is
    allowed to heat up during the break-in, it will destroy the steel’s ability to develop a
    home registration point, or memory. It will have a tendency to make the barrel “walk”
    when it heats up in the future.

Interesting....
    I can say that my barrel never got hot. Only ever fired single shots between cleaning for break in period so barrel never got even warm. Then and after that 3 shot groups with a gap of 10-15 mins between groups.
    Will be taking it out for a hunt labour weekend, then I will take it to the range again to try it on sand bags instead of the bipod, and another very experienced well known shooter will have a go as well just to see if that makes a difference.
    Supplier doesn't want me to take it apart or to modify it yet. Got to keep targets for them too.
    Have to say that sounds like complete bollocks ...

With out reading the whole thread but arnt they pressure point bedded?

I know from my Weatherby that it has 3 different point of impacts depending on how u hold it while shooting.

Have you put it on a sled or front and back sandbags?

Bipods are a bitch with syn stocks and pressure point bedding
    R93, Uplandstalker and Marty Henry like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"