Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Rifle golf

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    The Hangawera shoot had a centerfire event like this called the Jungle Lane.
    Targets of various sorts from 1 metre to 100m. Mostly gongs.
    Keep firing till you hit the target then move on to the next. Semi autos have to hit twice (double tap).
    Range officer accompanies shooters one by one.
    Targets spread out in scrub over about 500m course. (Range officer gets very fit)
    Score is by time. You run like stink. Makes the Ruahine hunters biathlon feel very lazy. More like goat hunting with dogs than golf.
    Corrected this for you. And yes this jungle lane is a lot of fun. The main issue with it is that it takes a long time to get a group of people through it - and the poor range officer has to run with everyone!
    I have a couple of videos taken from this event, one of me walking the course with my .375H&H and another of a service rifle shooter running the course with his AR and a 100round drum magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    The par idea is cool or a shot limit per target, say max 5? MOA gong size?

I'm not a huge fan of firing lots of rounds for the sake of it, or time limits... a hit is hit in my books. That was the appeal to me, nice leisurely stroll like golf, but with rifles not clubs :-)
    1 MOA sized gongs makes for a hard day. Have a look at the results for the Hangawera Sniper shoot and you will see how people struggle with MOA sized targets. In fact I just looked at my Woodstock event and the average targets size was 1.8MOA with nothing smaller than 1.3MOA. The average score this year was about 28% of a possible with only 4 people out of 18 getting over halfway!

Time limits... it would be great to be able to just stroll round and shoot a few targets... Malcolm and I did this the first couple of shoot we ran. Took for bloody ever for some people to fire a simple shot and as a result took a long time to get 15 people through the course...
    Firing lots of rounds... funny, really. If I am competing I will likely not bother travelling for a 20 shot event. I'll travel for a 60 shot event though. Each to their own, I suppose.
    Blaser, Tommy and 300CALMAN like this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

All good points @Gillie. I have zero experience organising shoots, you have shit loads and know what pitfalls there are.

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Corrected this for you. And yes this jungle lane is a lot of fun. The main issue with it is that it takes a long time to get a group of people through it - and the poor range officer has to run with everyone!
    I have a couple of videos taken from this event, one of me walking the course with my .375H&H and another of a service rifle shooter running the course with his AR and a 100round drum magazine.
    :
    The poor range officer also got a soaking from your bloody cannon hitting the pond on the first target!

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    All good points @Gillie. I have zero experience organising shoots, you have shit loads and know what pitfalls there are.
    Kim
    It is not a bad idea, just needs some thinking to get off the ground. Maybe have "tee" times for different squads or people to start at different stages... And ideally you want a location where you don't have to pack up targets after the day as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    The poor range officer also got a soaking from your bloody cannon hitting the pond on the first target!
    Funny i didn't get wet at all. Just dug up the video - will put it on my youtube channel.

Golf seems to me a neutered down derivative of old English field target archery. Much of the terminology is the same and so is the flow of play. Nowdays of course, the rifle is the real thing. Airgun and rimfire have their place, but only over ranges those weapons were intended for, in my opinion.

So, having discussed it, we have come back to the leisurely gentleman's golf model, with a basic time limit at each firing point. Score should be the total number of shots to hit all the targets, with lowest score the winner. Unlike golf, you don't get progressively closer to your target so a maximum of say 5 shots could be one way to deal with it. Another way might be for shooters who miss to move say 50m closer for the next shot and another 50 for the third till they do hit it. Every point would count. (I used to do a competition like this with my flatmate using a crossbow in the back yard. A moro bar was stood up vertically about 20m away and each took a shot. If you hit it, you eat it. If both missed we took a step forward and shot again. Around 13m the moro bar was always history. It was a high pressure match all right.)
    Blaser, kiwijames and kimjon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Attachment 37500

They'll need to bring there own binos for the hold over call though.....
    I have decided I will take one for the golfers and caddy for you! It might be tough and demanding at times but that's the kind of guy I am. You are welcome
    Maca49 likes this.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Might be a tall order for my .44 lever gun, but as they say "in for a penny, in for a pound"

Hmmmm wonder what holdover for 1000y

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    A golf course would be pretty perfect. From short par 3's at a around 140y to decent par 5's at over 500. I'd need a cart but at least I wouldn't need 14 rifles.
    Golf and shooting. The perfect combination.
    You got that wrong !!!
    I thought the best reason for rifle golf would be that you finally "did have a good reason to have 14 different rifles".
    Thats the reason Ive always given for having 7 different barrels for my Blaser.
    Always said hunting is like golf ... short shots ... long shots ... big targets ... little targets no one rifle can do it all.
    Previously the only reason I have ever even looked at a golf course is that there are often bunnies on them !!!
    I also think like golf some of the targets should be out of sight or slightly obscured !!! Then we would have a reason to pull out the big boys from the trundler... 9.3x62 300 grain Swift A frame will get to it through almost anything.

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    The Hangawera shoot had a centerfire event like this
    .223 have to hit twice (double tap). ...
    I am missing something here... why are the .223 penalized specifically?

Unless I am just gullible and it was a dig....?

Payback for the smart bastards that own one! The I
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post

Unless I am just gullible and it was a dig....?
    223 can shoot golfballs at 900m that leaves the rest of us scratching our nuts hence you need to do it twice if you have a 223

Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    It isn't penalized. Read my post above correcting Bagheera's

That was all Semi-Autos needed to double-tap the target. Bolt acctions and pump guns are allowed to shoot the targets once only. But relay it should be only people using .223. I had to double tap the targets with my SLR. Honestly how often do you have to shoot something twice with 7.62?

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Payback for the smart bastards that own one! The I
    Thanks for endorsing my intell... inti.... untulg.... smartness... ... as for ...

"223 can shoot golfballs at 900m that leaves the rest of us scratching our nuts hence you need to do it twice if you have a 223"... I can only do that if they are being putted or chipped... I have not managed to get one in the air of a driver at more than 600m yet.