Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Shooting ranges

I think you and 308 are on it, Sumps and dig out when needed.
    I would think that they would need to be dug out often for a start, but then would settle in after a few good rains etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Both very good ideas.

As far as the fines migrating through to the trenches goes, can you have sumps at intervals which can be dug out every year or three?
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

If you are worried about drainage material contamination ,all that is required is a decent blinding layer,of sand, on top of the Pea metal /GAP 6 (I forget what exactly).But remember drains do not last forever and it is possible to blast out/clean out pipe drainage.
    Beaker likes this.

Have you looked at a wet trap rather sumps? More expensive up front but pay for themselves over time. Your location sounds rural so, might not be viable.
    Beaker likes this.
    Manufactured Commercial Small Arms 2010 USA Vs. Commercial Small Arms 2010 Imported to NZ
    ... 1,800,000.00 / 8,000.00 = 0.44%

So, ground drainage should now be sorted.....

Overhead baffles are not. So my thinking is i want to design to .50bmg. Reason being that, to span 30m and minimise how many, we need the baffles to be thick and high. Cost is a factor. Steel beams clad with wood (steel to hold it up and wood for penetration and splator) vers concrete (for penetration concrete, wood for splator), concrete seems to win. 300mm thick, 50mm air gap and 50-100mm pine (read 100x100 fence post) wood clad.

Any thoughts? Want the highest calbre / energy possible, but vers users etc....
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    If you are worried about drainage material contamination ,all that is required is a decent blinding layer,of sand, on top of the Pea metal /GAP 6 (I forget what exactly).But remember drains do not last forever and it is possible to blast out/clean out pipe drainage.
    Gottcha on that. Looks like a big rock trench with pipe will be the way, with top layer sand/fines.
    And a few sumps to be dug out........

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dan View Post
    Have you looked at a wet trap rather sumps? More expensive up front but pay for themselves over time. Your location sounds rural so, might not be viable.
    Your correct, dont think it would work for us.
    Sediment gravity traps will be the way. Mixed in with trench gravel selection and pipes....

Ie a real pain in the arse....

Bit of a updated plan.

Couple of changes to add in another range (30m wide by 60 long), sorted some berm height issues, etc..

Still haven't got the baffles drawn in (basic outline done of where and how big though, and we should be certified up to 7000 joules - still need the detail design done to confirm the thickness which will determine final joule level) or the range buildings...... but should be soon.

Name:  range looking south.jpg
Views: 2653
Size:  24.4 KB

Dirt being moved now...
    Kscott, Bryan, gadgetman and 1 others like this.

Drooling...Makes me wanna move south (Home)
    Beaker likes this.

So some small changes -
    Name:  ver4.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  18.0 KBName:  ver4-2.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  18.3 KB

Very impressed with the rapid progress on this.. the sooner we can transition from the old range the better. Thanks for all your work.
    Beaker likes this.

Still ALOT to do......

But site is looking really good
    It'll still be a while away for the 100 and 200(maybe 300....) ranges though and the indoor range. Bloody money......
    Tommy likes this.

Latest, now the 200m range is going to be out to 300m......
    Dreamer and StrikerNZ like this.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I had a good laugh and it is a similar topic:

Planning dispute as gun club moves in next door to Wairarapa organic farm | Stuff.co.nz

Reminded me of this next link. I am glad we have good property rights and a few neighbors having a sook can't ruin it for the larger firearms community.

Pistol range in neighbours' sights | Stuff.co.nz
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Latest, now the 200m range is going to be out to 300m......
    Thats fantastic news. Cant wait to get some lead down range!
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Bloody rain......
    Bit of a delay now due to HV cant get into site, but still looking great.

Bit of a question, what type of floor of range is the preferred? Grass, astroturf, etc....