Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Shooting ranges

That is what I heard too mikee. It would help if there was signage to that effect, but even then it is still potentially dangerous imho.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Well I would not shoot there anyway more likely go way up the back of there or in my case not too far, I'm not very fit
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I see you your range and raise you the Ashburton Rifle Range
    Name:  Ashburton Range.JPG
Views: 501
Size:  159.7 KB
    Yes thats right its right in town, Top Blue arrow is the Butts, Bottom Arrow is 600m shooting mound (from memory) Town Dump is to the left and the mountain bike track goes along the river bank though the willow trees behind the Butts and yes its in the middle of town.
    Range was there first , then the dump and then Mountain bike track put in about 10 years ago
    I think at the moment they are having a few issues but I remember shooting there 15 years ago. Very handy it was
    Pengy likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Looking like a good set up. Any one know if there is a map with all the certified ranges on it?
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Any one know if there is a map with all the certified ranges on it?
    Not to my knowledge, but working on it. I sent an Official Information Request to the NZ Police last year, thinking they were the authority on approving ranges for public use. They say they're not, and to contact each and every Territorial Authority for that info. Sounds like a lot of getting dicked around by bureaucrats to me.

Instead, I whipped up this spreadsheet just now. Its editable by anyone, so feel free to add what you know:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=docslist_api
    Last edited by stretch; 30-03-2016 at 10:06 AM.
    Beaker and Tommy like this.

I'll ultimately add this info to my map: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../Leaflet2.html

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Pengy and Beaker like this.

Gees @stretch I was thinking the same thing for a while!

I Started this - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...v8&usp=sharing

I was hoping there was a list, but difficult to find. The best I could get to was from PNZ and DA -
    Contact Us

Local Branches -

When I get time (maybe 2023... ) i'll try and go through the lists and add them to the map. However I've opened it up so all can put their points on it in the mean time. The intent was for certified ranges, but that may get greyed.... SO please all add if you can!!! Both pins for the actual location and a link to a website for details on how to get access

In my mind, the more people that know where certified ranges are, and get the info on how to be able to shoot them, the better (i.e. try and stop people sighting in etc., in stupid places). Plus it hopefully ups the membership levels of the owning organisations, so they can keep on going.
    Pengy, 308, stretch and 1 others like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Antz View Post
    Is this new range facility open to the public yet? If it is where about is it please?

Cheers Antz
    Try this -
    Contact | Aorangi Range
    Antz likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    Antz, I'm unsure about that. Last time I talked to one of the trustees he said it wasn't supposed to be open yet as all the trustees hadn't signed off on the standing orders. That was about 3 weeks ago.

The only ranges finished (and I think certified) are 3 short ranges, 2 x 20m and 1 x 40m
    Incorrect. Standing orders are approved/signed off by the police, after consultantion and recommendation of the range inspector. In essance, the trustees have no say in them.

Also, the 2 short rangers are approved, and the 40m is not yet.

As you seem to be local to the range, and are showing a interest, come out one saturday afternoon, (or can sort a different time, just use the web site to make contact) and i will sort a few of the management committee and trustees to run you through what is actually happening. It sounds like some of the info is getting muddled at some point.

I'd love to come out but not sure where it is I'm in Timaru. I spoke to a guy in Dix's firearms the other day he said it wouldn't be open for at least two years.

Cheers Antz

Range is at - aorangi rd, washdyke. Down by the stopbank.
    There will be guys there today from now until prob 5, if you want to pop out.

Map is at - Contact | Aorangi Range

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post

Thank you Beaker I couldn't open the contacts on my IPad. I'll take a drive down now cheers mate

Antz

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post

Thank you Beaker I couldn't open the contacts on my IPad. I'll take a drive down now cheers mate

Antz

Quote Originally Posted by Antz View Post

Antz

Hi Antz
    Good to meet you yesterday. Sorry it was a bit rushed....

So a bit of a aerial update from yesterday -

Name:  DJI_0376.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  1,011.3 KB

Name:  DJI_0383.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  1.00 MB

Photos done by -

https://m.facebook.com/nzuntold/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Beaker; 13-05-2016 at 07:40 PM.
    nzfubz, 308 and PERRISCICABA like this.