Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: small bore shooting manawatu area

small bore shooting manawatu area

Hey ,
    Is anyone here part of a small bore shooting club here in the manawatu ?
    A mate and I were talking about looking into joining one.

Any info on the price of joining , what rifles they use , can i take along my 10/22 and what is the "group of people " there like ?

I know most of you will say go down and check it out but i wanted an insight from members perhaps...

thanks
    Patience Is A Virtue

If youre considering small bore shooting with a 10/22, which is more automated and less 'refined'....ah...expensive than the usual small bore apparatus, you could consider the service rifle group that meets at rifle rod & gun club. They have a couple of .22 matches at the meet each month. Shooting at 100 yards.
    Jusepy likes this.

If you want to use your 12/22 look for a "sporting rifle club" they'll be a good fit for you.

Thanks guys but I would only use my 10/22 to save money and not have to buy a gun dedicated to small bore. What are the small bore dedicated guns worth ?
    I was thinking I could use the small bore club to improve my shooting as I want to move up from rabbits to larger game such as deer.
    My friend was talking about going and I said I was interested aswell.
    Also my friend doesnt has his FAL (I do) , he is talking about gettting it though.
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by Jusepy View Post
    Thanks guys but I would only use my 10/22 to save money and not have to buy a gun dedicated to small bore. What are the small bore dedicated guns worth ?
    I was thinking I could use the small bore club to improve my shooting as I want to move up from rabbits to larger game such as deer.
    My friend was talking about going and I said I was interested aswell.
    Also my friend doesnt has his FAL (I do) , he is talking about gettting it though.
    gun city have a BSA .22 small bore international MK2 for $999 that's pretty much entry level for small bore - take your time and shop around if you go down that route -you need all the goodys that go with it like sling - sights -the inserts for the sights i.e blades or rings for front sight - for an older rifle these maybe hard to get - go to the local club maybe an older shooter has upgraded and wants to sell a surplus rifle - they are hard to sell as designed for one type of shooting - and then you will need a shooting jacket and a good clear spotting scope- that is a must - but some clubs have club rifles one can use on the night so ask around then all you need is a jacket - some clubs also have spotting scopes -when I started full bore many years ago I used an ex army jacket with a piece of diving suit neoprene sewn in as a shoulder pad - so there ya go - your local NZDA may also do .22 shoots - but your 10/22 for small bore no
    Jusepy likes this.

Ok Thanks barry the hunter , sounds like a deep rabbit hole to go down.

I have enough hobbies to spend monies on , I think more time behind my 308 shooting targets and gongs would perhaps be a better way to improve my shooting.
    Or like svt40 and no good names left had said , join a gun club .
    chur thanks for the feedback lads
    199p likes this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

dont give up on small bore- its fun if a very exacting discipline - definitely a mental challenge - check with local clubs and see if they have rifle and gear to use and give it a go - ya may be hooked
    zimmer and Jusepy like this.

I may just give it a go , still undecided
    Patience Is A Virtue

Unless it's changed most clubs will have club rifles. Will sell you ammo for a shoot and so on. The name of the game for them is attracting new members.

Find a club and go along for a night. If you don't like it don't go back.

A season at smallbore will give you immense learning benefit even for shooting your centrefire.

Quote Originally Posted by svt40 View Post
    If youre considering small bore shooting with a 10/22, which is more automated and less 'refined'....ah...expensive than the usual small bore apparatus, you could consider the service rifle group that meets at rifle rod & gun club. They have a couple of .22 matches at the meet each month. Shooting at 100 yards.
    @Jusepy, come along to Manawatu Rifle Rod & Gun Club and join us for a service rifle match. Bring your 10/22, we have a .22LR semi auto class thats perfect for you. We shoot fun & casual matches thats a bit more dynamic and interesting than your smallbore prone shooting.
    I'll PM you with more details.

Most clubs will have club rifles. If you get serious it pays to have your own rifle n gear. BSAs come up at times relatively cheap. Top of line your talking 10k....

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk
    Jusepy and 19Badger like this.

Most smallbore clubs will have club rifles you can use, club ammo you can buy to shoot.
    Many clubs allow new shooters to shoot of some type of rest or bag rather going straight to jacket and sling.
    Some clubs allow/support benchrest shooting of smallbore rifles and some allow scopes for benchrest shooting.

You'll learn a lot shooting smallbore.

The "Target Shooting NZ website" may help you find a club.
    zimmer, Jusepy and 19Badger like this.

Yea I recently went to the marton small bore club for the first time and they seem like a great bunch of guys down the rabbit hole of good gear . They for sure have guns they hire out for the shoot and it was a great time . A few of the guys went down from taihape deerstalkers club and we all enjoyed it couple of us thinking of going again and maybe joining also . I say get hold of them and get into it

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    Jusepy likes this.

Trying to dredge my memory (getting harder nowadays) but I'm sure there was a Smallbore Club at Utiku. Maybe wrong.
    This was when I left school and took up SB.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Trying to dredge my memory (getting harder nowadays) but I'm sure there was a Smallbore Club at Utiku. Maybe wrong.
    This was when I left school and took up SB.
    Yes your right there was one there but it no longer exists. The building is there but very tired. Best bet would still be marton .

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk